New toy!

tyson

So: did the Romans pronounce "anAs" the same as "anUs", I want to know? Can anyone recollect from one of their former lives? (See "More Lives Than One?" written some years ago by a BBC tv producer who made an interesting investigation of a hypnotherapist who claimed to have regressed subjects back into former incarnations -- fascinating book!) ^_^

I would hate to be paddling Anus Acuta

:D

So: did the Romans pronounce "anAs" the same as "anUs", I want to know? Can anyone recollect from one of their former lives? (See "More Lives Than One?" written some years ago by a BBC tv producer who made an interesting investigation of a hypnotherapist who claimed to have regressed subjects back into former incarnations -- fascinating book!) ^_^

It appears Valley is really for the Birds

Anas Acuta - Northern Pintial duck

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anas_acuta

Pintail - Pintial duck

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pintail

Avocet - Avocets have long legs and long, thin, upcurved bills (giving their scientific name Recurvirostra) which they sweep from side to side when feeding in the brackish or saline wetlands they prefer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avocet

Good thing they didn't come out with a kayak named Recurvirostra avosetta :)

:thinking:

Christopher,

There is no connection between “Anas†" which, translated from Latin, means ‘duck†, and “anus†which , translated from Latin (nus , or "ring" circle") means the circular or ring-like like terminus to the digestive tract , or in other words: “anus.â€

“acuta : refers to “sharp†, Anas “refers to “duck.â€, not anus. If Anas meant "anus", the translation would be†sharp anus,†not "sharp duck". That wouldn't be quite right , would it?

In any event, The Anas acuta is one sharp boat, or ,if I may, one sharp-ass boat.

<There is no connection between “Anas†" which, translated from Latin, means ‘duck†, and “anus†which , translated from Latin (nus , or "ring" circle") means the circular or ring-like like terminus to the digestive tract , or in other words: “anus.†>

Oh, believe me, Peter: I knew that! Eight years of latin were not in vain -- the point was about pronunciation, since this is supposedly a "dead" lingo. Hence the bit about reincarnation...

<There is no connection between “Anas†" which, translated from Latin, means ‘duck†, and “anus†which , translated from Latin (nus , or "ring" circle") means the circular or ring-like like terminus to the digestive tract , or in other words: “anus.†>

Oh, believe me, Peter: I knew that! Eight years of latin were not in vain -- the point was about pronunciation, since this is supposedly a "dead" lingo. Hence the bit about reincarnation...

And then there was 1992, the year that the Queen described as her annus horribilis. Perhaps she suffers from hemorrhoids?