poagies for big hands?

Phil Allen

Tested out my poagies (NRS hydroskin I believe) yesterday for the fun of it, and had a hard time getting my second hand onto the paddle shaft without much pulling with the teeth, etc. Seems like the wrist material is too narrow and floppy for me to get my big mitts in easily. Anybody have suggestions for poagies with a wider entrance?

Thanks.

Phil

Tested out my poagies (NRS hydroskin I believe) yesterday for the fun of it, and had a hard time getting my second hand onto the paddle shaft without much pulling with the teeth, etc. Seems like the wrist material is too narrow and floppy for me to get my big mitts in easily. Anybody have suggestions for poagies with a wider entrance?

Thanks.

Phil

I have had great luck with Snapdragon pogies.

-Jason

Thanks.

Phil

Hi Phil,

I have the Warmer's Neoprene Pogies. Easy to put in the bare hand, tougher with neo gloves. My experience is that when gloves are not warm enough I use the neo pogies with bare hands and they stay toasty warm, sometimes too warm. Always carry neo gloves as a back up for when that happens or when you need to monkey walk into the surf from the beach and the water is too cold for bare hands. I also carry a pair of fleece gloves in my hatch to slip into during landings.

I've got pogies from Mountain Equipment Co-op, both in touring and whitewater versions and had the same experience with the touring version. I simply roll them back to form both a cuff and so they become easier to get my hands in. It's not pretty, but it works for me. Give that try and see if it works for you.

Thanks.

Phil

Are you wearing gloves with them? I've been told to by others to not wear gloves with pogies. You can also roll back the cuff(NRS black mamba) and snap it in place to make it easier to get your hands in.

There are also 'creek pogies' like the wildwasser ones that have a shorter cuff that stays open.

http://www.sierraoutdoorcenter.com/PoGloves.html

Mittens like the NRS toaster work well for me as well.

Hi Phil,

I have the Warmer's Neoprene Pogies. Easy to put in the bare hand, tougher with neo gloves. My experience is that when gloves are not warm enough I use the neo pogies with bare hands and they stay toasty warm, sometimes too warm. Always carry neo gloves as a back up for when that happens or when you need to monkey walk into the surf from the beach and the water is too cold for bare hands. I also carry a pair of fleece gloves in my hatch to slip into during landings.

I second the Warmer's poagies. Cheap and warm.

Ern