2009 NSPN Cold Water Workshop: are you interested?

PeterB

Is anyone interested in attending our NSPN Coldwater workshop this year ?

If so, please post your interest here.

Traditionally , this workshop is held in November , and runs out of Liz Neumeier’s place near Lanes Cove on Cape Anne. The â€classroom†part is held there, the “on the-water†part is in Lanes cove, followed by food and beverages in the warmth and comfort of Liz’ s place. It’s a great opportunity to get acquainted, or re-acqainted, with cold water clothing and gear, and try it out in a safe and friendly environment.

Suz Hutchinson as offered to run this workshop as in years past, and we will need know if there’s enough interest so that time can be made in November.

http://www.nspn.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=5270

I always like to attend.

Ern

Suz Hutchinson as offered to run this workshop as in years past, and we will need know if there’s enough interest so that time can be made in November.

In November, I am available on Nov 15 or 21. The only earlier option is October 31 but that is Halloween which probably isn't a good day for people.

Suz

The only earlier option is October 31 but that is Halloween which probably isn't a good day for people.

Consider the possibilities it might provide for treat or treat costumes and wandering about goodies.

Ed Lawson

Interested, is it scheduled yet?

Not scheduled until we see if there is enough interest.

Scott Camlin has been presenting this with me over the years and his first choice is the 15, second choice but late in the day is the 21. I haven't checked in with Liz to see if she is in for hosting it this year and if EITHER of those dates even work. If she can't host this, we would need to find another venue which is probably easier than finding different dates!

Suz

• 4 weeks later...

I was sorry to miss this workshop last year and am definitely interested, if a bit late reading this topic. My new GMER should arrive any day and I'm hoping to keep paddling through the winter. It can't be any colder than skiing, right?

I was sorry to miss this workshop last year and am definitely interested, if a bit late reading this topic. My new GMER should arrive any day and I'm hoping to keep paddling through the winter. It can't be any colder than skiing, right?

Depends on the amount of spray that hits you in the face.. Also poggies are your friend! My skiing has stopped after I started boating as boating wins...

It can't be any colder than skiing, right?

I'd say putting the boats and gear away is the coldest part of paddling in winter. On the water usually not too bad at all.

OTOH, rolling in water that is in the 30s/40s can lead to rather intense "ice cream headaches".

Ed Lawson

OTOH, rolling in water that is in the 30s/40s can lead to rather intense "ice cream headaches".

Ed Lawson

Ok then, maybe the Nordkapp won't be my winter paddling boat after all. Time to look for something stable and forgiving -- an Explorer maybe. Now, just need to figure out how to sneak this past my wife . . .

My skiing has stopped as I have a better ideas on how to spend $200 per weekend.

rb

Depends on the amount of spray that hits you in the face.. Also poggies are your friend! My skiing has stopped after I started boating as boating wins...

Traditionally , this workshop is held in November , and runs out of Liz Neumeier’s place near Lanes Cove on Cape Anne. The â€classroom†part is held there, the “on the-water†part is in Lanes cove, followed by food and beverages in the warmth and comfort of Liz’ s place. It’s a great opportunity to get acquainted, or re-acqainted, with cold water clothing and gear, and try it out in a safe and friendly environment.

I'm interested. Right now both dates work for me.

Bob

My skiing has stopped as I have a better ideas on how to spend $200 per weekend.

Backcountry skiing hardly costs more than a bit of gas money to get to the good locations. I have up on lift-serve skiing decades ago.

Cheers!

Ty

That's true and I do start most of my hiking and cross country when the snow starts falling.

rb

Backcountry skiing hardly costs more than a bit of gas money to get to the good locations. I have up on lift-serve skiing decades ago.

Cheers!

Ty

<Ok then, maybe the Nordkapp won't be my winter paddling boat after all>

<Why not? It and the Avocet sound like perfectly fine boats in fair and foul to me>

Absolutely agree: Blaine, those boats are a perfect pair, <both> as happy in cold water as warm! It certainly is not warm at <the> Nordkapp (that's northern Norway (surely?), inside the Arctic circle)

<Ok then, maybe the Nordkapp won't be my winter paddling boat after all>

<Why not? It and the Avocet sound like perfectly fine boats in fair and foul to me>

Absolutely agree: Blaine, those boats are a perfect pair, <both> as happy in cold water as warm! It certainly is not warm at <the> Nordkapp (that's northern Norway (surely?), inside the Arctic circle)

My point is that the Nordlow is definitely a spirited creature which insists on frequently teaching me lessons in bracing. I'm learning, but still have a ways to go. Other than flat water trips, it's a rare outing that I don't find myself upside down at some point. Part of that may be that I do enjoy pushing the limits. But I expect an Explorer would be a bit more gentle and forgiving in those situations and not insist on teaching me another lesson.

My boat is most definitely a fine, sea-worthy craft and I love it dearly, but maybe that extra margin of stability in extreme conditions would allow me to avoid the dreaded brain freeze syndrome.

My boat is most definitely a fine, sea-worthy craft and I love it dearly, but maybe that extra margin of stability in extreme conditions would allow me to avoid the dreaded brain freeze syndrome.

Have you tried a balaclava or hood designed for this sort of use? That is what I wear when the water gets cold and it makes all the difference on my head.

Cheers!

Ty