LV options for 5 foot 70 lbs boy

brambor

my kid is currently paddling RM Wilderness Systems Piccolo 14 footer with no bulkheads and external rudder.

He paddles with me most of the time. He is almost 5 feet. Weighs 70lbs. Some frequent posters here saw him last weekend (sal doug neil...)l

I'm just thinking that I could be on a lookout for an LV boat deal that might come up before next spring (his birthday) or around christmas... He is obviously on the other end of the weight spectrum. Romany LV comes to mind or perhaps a used skin on frame boat. Any other suggestions are welcome...

Brambor from cell phone...

Entirely self-serving response, but...

I would encourage you to build a SOF. Tom Yost has some great, free, and relatively easy to build designs on his website. See my topic "Ever wanted to build a kayak for your child?" in this forum for links. Depending on how old your son is, it could be a project to do together.

Best of luck whatever you decide to do.

I built a boat once before when I got laid off from work. I got a job and 3 additional volunteer positions ... (beekeeper.photographer and hockey manager)I have no time. Perhaps a few greenland paddles this winter but that is pushing it.

Entirely self-serving response, but...

I would encourage you to build a SOF. Tom Yost has some great, free, and relatively easy to build designs on his website. See my topic "Ever wanted to build a kayak for your child?" in this forum for links. Depending on how old your son is, it could be a project to do together.

Best of luck whatever you decide to do.

I've had the same issue. My son is now older and a bit bigger than 70lbs. I ended up building him a Pygmy Osprey 13'. He still uses it, and moves it very well. It has front and rear bulkheads, with deck lines. He's moving more towards white water now, and so has started bugging me about getting him a boat for that!

The other kid specific (or very small paddler) boats I considered, as well as would consider are;

Rotomolded. Good for kids who like to use kayaks as pool toys or sleds in the winter!

Epi-Sea kayak

Tsunami SP

Composite - expensive, but will have good resale value when he grows out of it or decides he wants to be a rock gutarist/professional basketball player!

Impex Mystic - great boat

Island kayak Newt (Discontinued but maybe able to find one used)

P&H Vela (probabaly too big right now)

Build as above with stich and glue technique or a skin on frame.

Stay away from LV adult boats right now as they will swamp him, and the 16-17' length will be way too much to handle/turn even in the lightest wind.

The other thing to make sure of is the paddle length and size. Use a kid sepcific paddle, and your child will have a far easier time and more fun.

Having a child or children to paddle with is awesome and a huge amount of fun.

Thanks. Good options to investigate here. I was leaning towards 15' yaks and not much longer than that. Valley's LV version of the Avocet seems interesting too. It is under 16 feet and appears to be really built for smaller people.

I've had the same issue. My son is now older and a bit bigger than 70lbs. I ended up building him a Pygmy Osprey 13'. He still uses it, and moves it very well. It has front and rear bulkheads, with deck lines. He's moving more towards white water now, and so has started bugging me about getting him a boat for that!

The other kid specific (or very small paddler) boats I considered, as well as would consider are;

Rotomolded. Good for kids who like to use kayaks as pool toys or sleds in the winter!

Epi-Sea kayak

Tsunami SP

Composite - expensive, but will have good resale value when he grows out of it or decides he wants to be a rock gutarist/professional basketball player!

Stay away from LV adult boats right now as they will swamp him, and the 16-17' length will be way too much to handle/turn even in the lightest wind.

The other thing to make sure of is the paddle length and size. Use a kid sepcific paddle, and your child will have a far easier time and more fun.

I have a kayak that may work well for your son. I've sent a message through NSPN with details. Let me know when you've had a chance to take a look. best, Dana

my kid is currently paddling RM Wilderness Systems Piccolo 14 footer with no bulkheads and external rudder.

He paddles with me most of the time. He is almost 5 feet. Weighs 70lbs. Some frequent posters here saw him last weekend (sal doug neil...)l

I'm just thinking that I could be on a lookout for an LV boat deal that might come up before next spring (his birthday) or around christmas... He is obviously on the other end of the weight spectrum. Romany LV comes to mind or perhaps a used skin on frame boat. Any other suggestions are welcome...

Brambor from cell phone...

Have had good luck with the 14' Impex Mystic/Sea Breeze which has similar lines to a Romany and is a perfect size for your son. The Mystic has two bulkheads with a skeg; the Sea Breeze has only a rear bulkhead and no skeg. Only made in glass.

Not many around used, but they appear from time to time.

I've put everything from 50 lb. 10 year old girls to their 120 lb. mothers into these boats with good success.

Scott

Have had good luck with the 14' Impex Mystic

[...]

I've put everything from 50 lb. 10 year old girls to their 120 lb. mothers into these boats with good success.

My 4' 11.75" ex-wife has a mystic. Its a very nice kayak. I'm 5'10"+ and 190lbs and it carries me just fine. ...but then I seem to be developing a taste for low volume kayaks. ...err, actually, qajaqs. ;)

I'll put my vote in for the Mystic. My wife is 5' 95# & had a Mystic for years. She said that you would have to pry it from her cold, dead hand if you wanted it. That was until she tries a Vela.

It is a great boat that he will be able to grow into. You can get it in glass, Kevlar or Carbon/kev. My guess is you could get one for about $1200 depending on the age.

thanks for the tip. I will check it out further. It was great meeting you and the chat was great. It is not often I meet someone in the East who knows about the Winds like you did. i will dig out some pictures and send you the links later.

There is a new Impex Mystic listed on Canoe Kings web site for $1799. They are in Ossippee N.H. on Rt. 16.

Who knows they might take an offer.

http://www.canoeking.com/boats/specials.html

It was a pleasure to paddle with you and your boy on Saturday and compare notes on the Wind Rivers

thanks for the tip. I will check it out further. It was great meeting you and the chat was great. It is not often I meet someone in the East who knows about the Winds like you did. i will dig out some pictures and send you the links later.

Love to see your pictures of the Winds. I have hundreds of them, but they are all on carousels as 35 mm slides. I must be dating myself. It is one of those places where Helen Keller could have taken great shots as you couldn't loose just pointing and shooting.

Scott

Epi-Sea kayak (see link below)

http://www.emc-epi.com/touring.html

Tsunami SP

It is definitely on my short list. I'm mulling things over right now. :rolleyes:

It is the same size as the glass one. They are both 14'. ...short of constructing a boat specifically for his dimensions, it would be an excellent choice.

My daughter has an Impex Mystic. She was about the size of your son when she got it and was able to handle it well. She is now my size and we both like to paddle it. If she has a friend along (on lakes), she paddles my Vela and her friend takes the Mystic. A Vela would be a bit large for your son at this time, but an Impex would be a very good size and there's some room to grow, too. Good luck.

Gay

Indeed, the Mystic seems to be our our best choice right now. We were able to sit in one last Sunday. The footpegs had to go all the way forward to the first latch. There we were able to obtain a decent 'lock' with the thighs under the deck. I will have to place a one inch padding on each side for the hips until he grows more.

There are two for sale for affordable price that I can find right now but one is in New Jersey. That puts it practically out of reach unless I get a jolt of insanity (not uncommon :rolleyes: )