Kayaker dives out of the way of a speed boat

Bill H

Home owners who think that they own the lake drive me nuts. They bought a piece of property that abuts the lake. They did not buy the lake. The folks that live on Nubanusit lake in NH would love to shut down the boat ramp so that they can have their own private lake for their own power (and other) boats.

"Ben, Manchester" is disturbingly ignorant. ...again, power boats= don't own the lake either. If he thinks its OK to not watch out for objects as large as a kayak he's at risk of some serious hurt.

One person suggested a flare. From what I've read about the day-time visibility of flares, I doubt it would have helped.

"A kayaker narrowly avoided serious injuries on Lake Sunapee yesterday morning when he jumped into the water to avoid a speedboat that was heading right for him, according to New Hampshire Marine Patrol."

"When Younkie came to the surface of the lake, the remains of his kayak were floating all around him. The boat had split in half, and the back and front of it were floating separately, Therrien reported."

"Seriously injured" probably would not have been the outcome based on the above description of the kayak.

Gay

Here is lies a problem for NH. A Mass resident who is not required to take a boating test goes to nh to boat on a lake and probably has no idea about anything nautical. except maybe he's a knothead.

Goes to show you all you need is money to get behind the wheel in Massachusetts. In the case of this Kayaker I surmise he' did not wear a life jacket - it may very well have saved him, you would not be able to go under in a life jacket.

Here is lies a problem for NH. A Mass resident who is not required to take a boating test goes to nh to boat on a lake and probably has no idea about anything nautical. except maybe he's a knothead.

Goes to show you all you need is money to get behind the wheel in Massachusetts. In the case of this Kayaker I surmise he' did not wear a life jacket - it may very well have saved him, you would not be able to go under in a life jacket.

I have read that if powerboat collision is inevitable you should flip your kayak and push yourself out with your feet as deeply into the water as you can. I always wondered how this would work with a life jacket on. I never paddle without one, and thought maybe if things looked that dire would I whip it off just as the boat is bearing down before flipping? Hope I never go through that. Florrie