Casco Bay II-Final

EEL

Here are details for Casco Bay II trip.

Date: Sat. August 8th.

Launch time: 10:00 with a return of around 16:00

Level 3 Trip. Given current marine forecast, conditions are anticipated to be mild, and I'm not looking for an adventure. However, forecasts change, fog happens, we may end up over a mile from shore/landing spot, part of the time we may be exposed to open ocean swell, and a strong southerly wind blows right up the fingers.

The launch site is the beach next to H2O Outfitters at the sourthen tip of Orr's Island. There is a $5 launch/park fee which must be paid at the Salt Cod Cafe next to H2O. BTW, you can pick up a sandwich, etc. at the cafe for lunch. They are rebuilding the Cribstone bridge next to beach, but access is OK. Just pull in and park near the cafe and ask where to park when you pay.

To get there take 295 going north from Portland, get off the Route 1 exit at Brunswick, go through Brunswick on Rte 1, and after going a few miles beyond Brunswick on Rte. 1 you will see an exit for Cundy's Harbor, Orr's Island, and the Brunswick NAS on Route 24. Take that exit and go straight through the lights to stay on 24 and simply follow 24 to the end of Orr's Island. H2O/Salt Cod Cafe are on the right just before all the construction on the bridge.

Proposed route assuming conditions are nice is to go out through Wills Gut between Bailey and Orr's islands, then out to some ledges and islands on the way to Yarmouth Island, into Quahog Bay to stop for lunch on Little Snow, then wander back visiting coves, etc. There are nesting eagles and osprey in the bay and we may see them along with other critters. Little Snow is very popular and bay popular for cruising folks so its not wilderness. Expect a total of around 12NM of varied paddling with intent to have an enjoyable time exploring another part of Casco Bay. Wandering into coves could add a couple of miles. Subject to weather and changes due to makeup of group.

If you intend to come, please let me know here or directly so I have an idea of how many, etc. Technically, this is a SMSKN trip since I posted it there too. Basically same as a NSPN CAM trip, but there is a waiver to sign. If you want to see SMSKN's trip participation terms they are here. http://www.smskn.org/TripRecommendations.pdf

Ed Lawson

Here are details for Casco Bay II trip.

Date: Sat. August 8th.

Launch time: 10:00 with a return of around 16:00

Level 3 Trip. Given current marine forecast, conditions are anticipated to be mild, and I'm not looking for an adventure. However, forecasts change, fog happens, we may end up over a mile from shore/landing spot, part of the time we may be exposed to open ocean swell, and a strong southerly wind blows right up the fingers.

The launch site is the beach next to H2O Outfitters at the sourthen tip of Orr's Island. There is a $5 launch/park fee which must be paid at the Salt Cod Cafe next to H2O. BTW, you can pick up a sandwich, etc. at the cafe for lunch. They are rebuilding the Cribstone bridge next to beach, but access is OK. Just pull in and park near the cafe and ask where to park when you pay.

To get there take 295 going north from Portland, get off the Route 1 exit at Brunswick, go through Brunswick on Rte 1, and after going a few miles beyond Brunswick on Rte. 1 you will see an exit for Cundy's Harbor, Orr's Island, and the Brunswick NAS on Route 24. Take that exit and go straight through the lights to stay on 24 and simply follow 24 to the end of Orr's Island. H2O/Salt Cod Cafe are on the right just before all the construction on the bridge.

Proposed route assuming conditions are nice is to go out through Wills Gut between Bailey and Orr's islands, then out to some ledges and islands on the way to Yarmouth Island, into Quahog Bay to stop for lunch on Little Snow, then wander back visiting coves, etc. There are nesting eagles and osprey in the bay and we may see them along with other critters. Little Snow is very popular and bay popular for cruising folks so its not wilderness. Expect a total of around 12NM of varied paddling with intent to have an enjoyable time exploring another part of Casco Bay. Wandering into coves could add a couple of miles. Subject to weather and changes due to makeup of group.

If you intend to come, please let me know here or directly so I have an idea of how many, etc. Technically, this is a SMSKN trip since I posted it there too. Basically same as a NSPN CAM trip, but there is a waiver to sign. If you want to see SMSKN's trip participation terms they are here. http://www.smskn.org/TripRecommendations.pdf

Ed Lawson

Hey Ed

I'll be there and may have another with me. Thanks for putting this together.

See you Sat.

Oh rats ... procrastination tripped me up again.

Thanks for planning and posting the trip, Ed; it should be a great day on the water. (I certainly understand the need to keep numbers under control. If anyone should cancel today, and if nobody's ahead of me on a waiting list, I'd be glad to fill a slot at the last minute ...)

Have a great paddle,

Judy

With apologies to Ed-Wuz up has everyone decided that all the water has dried up on the MA and NH coasts. Only kidding-Upper Casco Bay sounds like a fun place to paddle, but on a beautiful weekend it's suprising that there aren't any other trips posted.

With apologies to Ed-Wuz up has everyone decided that all the water has dried up on the MA and NH coasts. Only kidding-Upper Casco Bay sounds like a fun place to paddle, but on a beautiful weekend it's suprising that there aren't any other trips posted.

Hi Gene:

I'd love to get out sunday. What have you got in mind ?

Barry.

Hi Gene:

I'd love to get out sunday. What have you got in mind ?

Barry.

HT is around 2PM Leave the Willows in Salem head over to Children's Island, then head N to the Tinker's. Return to Dolber's Cove and back to the Willows. Meet at 11:00AM behind the tennis courts and leave from Dead Horse Beach. Wind in the afternoon will be South 10-15K with gusts to 20 so could be a bumpy ride. Also threat of rain or TS. Tomorrow is clearly the better day. What do you think?

HT is around 2PM Leave the Willows in Salem head over to Children's Island, then head N to the Tinker's. Return to Dolber's Cove and back to the Willows. Meet at 11:00AM behind the tennis courts and leave from Dead Horse Beach. Wind in the afternoon will be South 10-15K with gusts to 20 so could be a bumpy ride. Also threat of rain or TS. Tomorrow is clearly the better day. What do you think?

Gene and Barry,

Sounds like a good trip for Saturday (today). Sunday is more difficult for me. I would probably meet you from the beach at the Willows. Sorry for the late response.....busy with work and such. Will monitor site for response before launching.

By the way, Tinkers is South of Childrens, but we could go North to Misery if that is better wind-wise.

Bob

Gene and Barry,

Sounds like a good trip for Saturday (today). Sunday is more difficult for me. I would probably meet you from the beach at the Willows. Sorry for the late response.....busy with work and such. Will monitor site for response before launching.

By the way, Tinkers is South of Childrens, but we could go North to Misery if that is better wind-wise.

Bob

Gene,

Saturday or Sunday....even at this late time, should I post as an independent 'Trip' ?

Bob

Gene,

Saturday or Sunday....even at this late time, should I post as an independent 'Trip' ?

Bob

I already promised the family a trip to the beach today (Sat); but up for anything on Sunday.

Barry.

Gene,

Bob

Sorry, yes Tinker's is South which is why going there first agianst the wind and getting the benefit on the way back was my plan. Today is fine too but I can't meet up till 12:00 noon.

Sorry, yes Tinker's is South which is why going there first agianst the wind and getting the benefit on the way back was my plan. Today is fine too but I can't meet up till 12:00 noon.

Gene and Barry;

I'm also OK with tomorrow out of the Willows. If tomorrow, we should do an early trip as weather may deteriorate a little in the afternoon. I can also post the trip.

http://www.weather.gov/forecasts/wfo/secto...ineDay.php#tabs

Bob

Ok-Bob post it for Sunday-whatever we do I do not want the return leg with 20k gusts in my face!

Gene,

OK. What time is convenient for you to get to the Willows tomorrow? I'm completely flexible since I'll be coming from down the street...

Bob