Essex River/Bay

Luciaj

Can anyone tell me where you put in on Essex Bay? I haven't done much open water paddling, and would like to do Essex Bay/river to start- (or is there another suggestion?) - I haven't been able to make any of the evening get-togethers, as I am mostly available during the day only. I am curious about where are the "unadvertised" launch sites. I had one book that said one could put in behind woodman's , but another book said there's only the public town launch site. Any suggestions to start for the inexperienced?

Lucia j- new to ocean paddling

Can anyone tell me where you put in on Essex Bay? I haven't done much open water paddling, and would like to do Essex Bay/river to start- (or is there another suggestion?) - I haven't been able to make any of the evening get-togethers, as I am mostly available during the day only. I am curious about where are the "unadvertised" launch sites. I had one book that said one could put in behind woodman's , but another book said there's only the public town launch site. Any suggestions to start for the inexperienced?

Lucia j- new to ocean paddling

I am also new to kayaking and am interested in doing some trips on weekends as I also have trouble making the evening practice session. Although I am on vacation the weeks of Aug 10 through the 17th and hope to do a lot of kayaking then.

Jeanne

"Any suggestions to start for the inexperienced?"

Essex river, Castle river and Essex Bay are good ideas for an intro to salt water. Another suggestion would be protected harbors like Salem and Marblehead harbors. although you need to be mindful of motorboat traffic and be able to recognize channel markers. On a mild day with low wind I would include Gloucester harbor. The very best way to start is to check out the Trips message board and if no one has posted something appropriate for you post yourself-you might be surprised at how many other interested paddlers will reply. If either or both of you are available during the week, some of us conduct practice sessions among ourselves at Walden Pond. We don't post them but if you send me a pm or email with your email I'll put you on the list.

"Any suggestions to start for the inexperienced?"

Essex river, Castle river and Essex Bay are good ideas for an intro to salt water. Another suggestion would be protected harbors like Salem and Marblehead harbors. although you need to be mindful of motorboat traffic and be able to recognize channel markers. On a mild day with low wind I would include Gloucester harbor. The very best way to start is to check out the Trips message board and if no one has posted something appropriate for you post yourself-you might be surprised at how many other interested paddlers will reply. If either or both of you are available during the week, some of us conduct practice sessions among ourselves at Walden Pond. We don't post them but if you send me a pm or email with your email I'll put you on the list.

Thanks - I was nervous about posting something, not been very experienced but will give it a whirl. I am not usually available during the week, but thanks!

Jeanne

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jeanne-

are you ever free during the week day?

I am looking for people wanting to do some paddling today- tues the 25th- maybe river or bay-

Lucia

I am also new to kayaking and am interested in doing some trips on weekends as I also have trouble making the evening practice session. Although I am on vacation the weeks of Aug 10 through the 17th and hope to do a lot of kayaking then.

Jeanne