MITA day trip - Casco Bay - July 18

Rob Hazard

This trip is a work in progress, but it will be a day trip, launching probably from Cousins Island, Level 3 for distance anyway, including stops at Bang's and Crow islands for beach patrol and basking in the fog and skeeters. We will be off the water in time for dinner at some brew pub in Portland.

My reading of the current table says the Hi slack will be about 08:30 to 09:00 and the Low slack will be about 14:00 to 14:30, depending just where you are in the bay. Current peaks at about 1 knot in either direction, so it's worth having it favor us both ways.

I am posting early to gather bright ideas from others and to give stragglers a chance to join MITA so they can tag along!

Cheers,

Rob

Hi Rob,

Count me in. You could continue SW from Bangs to go around Long island (nice public beach at the south western corner, plus a little islet I have always wanted to check out). Continue around Long back to the other side of Cheabeague before crossing back to Cousins. This would take the total distance to about 19 miles. Or for about the same distance you could continue south from Bangs and circumnavigate Cliff island before retracing your steps back to Cousins.

Barry.

Hi Rob,

Count me in. You could continue SW from Bangs to go around Long island (nice public beach at the south western corner, plus a little islet I have always wanted to check out). Continue around Long back to the other side of Cheabeague before crossing back to Cousins. This would take the total distance to about 19 miles. Or for about the same distance you could continue south from Bangs and circumnavigate Cliff island before retracing your steps back to Cousins.

Barry.

Rob,

I'm a maybe but only if you'll give me some pointers on that, death defying, reverse sculling maneuver. :rolleyes:

Ideas, ideas! Wow, I'm dazzled by the brightness already and the trip is still 2 weeks away!

I just stepped off both of Barry's routes and Ed's as well. The Long Island circle adds up to about 18 nm, which is a bit of a haul if we mean to do our MITA duty (AKA "the Mission") as well. Around Cliff and back, going around Chebeague, would be shorter, ~15 nm. Goslings and Whaleboat also looks like ~15 nm when we include the Mission.

In stepping off the Cliff route I assumed we'd be able to cross the bar between Chebeague and Little Cheb. We'd go counterclockwise, hitting Bangs and Crow on the return. The Goslings - Whaleboat trip I assumed clockwise, also stopping for the Mission on the return.

Whaleboat and Goslings would take us across Broad Sound which means open water (Yeehaw!), whereas Cliff would keep us in more sheltered water (BORING!) but might give us more help from the current (COOL!)

HMMMMM...

Ideas, ideas! Wow, I'm dazzled by the brightness already and the trip is still 2 weeks away!

I just stepped off both of Barry's routes and Ed's as well. The Long Island circle adds up to about 18 nm, which is a bit of a haul if we mean to do our MITA duty (AKA "the Mission") as well. Around Cliff and back, going around Chebeague, would be shorter, ~15 nm. Goslings and Whaleboat also looks like ~15 nm when we include the Mission.

In stepping off the Cliff route I assumed we'd be able to cross the bar between Chebeague and Little Cheb. We'd go counterclockwise, hitting Bangs and Crow on the return. The Goslings - Whaleboat trip I assumed clockwise, also stopping for the Mission on the return.

Whaleboat and Goslings would take us across Broad Sound which means open water (Yeehaw!), whereas Cliff would keep us in more sheltered water (BORING!) but might give us more help from the current (COOL!)

HMMMMM...

The route will, no doubt, be worked out before the 18th but I second $3 Dewey's as a spot to reflect on the days paddle. :drinkinBuddies: :drinkinBuddies:

The route will, no doubt, be worked out before the 18th but I second $3 Dewey's as a spot to reflect on the days paddle. :drinkinBuddies: :drinkinBuddies:

Yer goin' ta have trouble drinkin' wit' dat dislocated shoulder of yerz! :HAHApound:

In stepping off the Cliff route I assumed we'd be able to cross the bar between Chebeague and Little Cheb.

I would not count on that.

Might want to be careful what you wish for in terms of "open water/conditions". I say that for my sake.

It would a haul, but Shark Cove on Long Island is nice as is the little inlet on the other end which is where the ferry stops I believe. Very nice restaurant too I have heard. Going down the outside of Long might provide some excitement as it is rather exposed on the southerly end. Of course I have never been there when it was bumpy. Chandler Cove can be a busy place and there are currents there and in Hussey Sound.

Lots of ledges and with luck seals around Little Whaleboat, Upper Green, and Frenchy.

Boat traffic is less in that area generally speaking, but from the solstice paddle pictures neither place would seem busy to folks who paddle down there. Might want to Google the Chebeague Inn and contemplate a dinner or lunch there while paddling in area. No need to rough it if you can bring proper attire.

I guess we need a couple more paddles over the summer to do it justice.

Ed Lawson

Good point, Ed!

Do you know at what stage of the tide that bar uncovers?

What sea state are you comfortable with? I have been blithely assuming everyone is comfy with NSPN Level 3 conditions, but for this trip maybe we should stick to flatter water and a shorter route rather than go the full-bore "Stout-hearted Men" route.

As long as we go somewhere beyond Bangs. :D

AND as long as we don't omit a stewardship visit to B & C.

R

Ed,

I stepped it off again. Having to round Little Cheb instead of crossing the bar would add about 3/4 nm, or 15 minutes of paddling. No biggie.

If we were to opt for your choice of Goslings and Whaleboat, how comfortable would you be with crossing Broad Sound? I realize it depends on the sea state, but you have made that crossing before, no?

Whaleboat to Stockman looks like, again 3/4 nm, a quick crossing in good conditions, but if it's bumpy and we're on the far side of the sound from the cars...

We have 2 weeks to decide, and we can, perhaps should, plan out 2 or more possible routes so we can choose once we know the conditions we have to deal with.

OK, here's a thought: since the MITA B & C visit is a given, and the trip there is over generally sheltered water, we could tentatively plan to head there first, go ashore, then decide where to go from there.

Worst case: we get to the launch and the weather is truly foul, so we have to kill a few hours before $3 Dewey's opens for business. Agreed? :P

Do you know at what stage of the tide that bar uncovers?

No. I have never seen it covered.

What sea state are you comfortable with? I have been blithely assuming everyone is comfy with NSPN Level 3 conditions, but for this trip maybe we should stick to flatter water and a shorter route rather than go the full-bore "Stout-hearted Men" route.

Personally, I really cannot parse the whole trip level thing so don't have an answer on that.

I don't think about it till they post small craft advisories, then I evaluate a bit more before heading out.

My assumption is the same as yours. Participants should feel OK on an intermediate trip or Level 3 whatever that is. You just never know until you finish the trip what you might need to paddle in. That said, it is a great piece of water for folks wanting to increase comfort level. No crossings of any size and reasonably close to an island if things change big time.

Still, the forecast can say 5-10Kts and you get to some fetch and its 15+ with wall to wall whitecaps. So you just find a way to paddle what comes after you launch and assuming you are sane in launching seldom a big problem. Besides, folks have been practicing at skill sessions so might as well use those skills for "real" so to speak.

Having some alternatives planned and being flexible is a good thing.

Ed Lawson

No. I have never seen it covered.

Personally, I really cannot parse the whole trip level thing so don't have an answer on that.

I don't think about it till they post small craft advisories, then I evaluate a bit more before heading out.

My assumption is the same as yours. Participants should feel OK on an intermediate trip or Level 3 whatever that is. You just never know until you finish the trip what you might need to paddle in. That said, it is a great piece of water for folks wanting to increase comfort level. No crossings of any size and reasonably close to an island if things change big time.

Still, the forecast can say 5-10Kts and you get to some fetch and its 15+ with wall to wall whitecaps. So you just find a way to paddle what comes after you launch and assuming you are sane in launching seldom a big problem. Besides, folks have been practicing at skill sessions so might as well use those skills for "real" so to speak.

Having some alternatives planned and being flexible is a good thing.

Ed Lawson

Well, this trip is beginning to sound like something I could maybe potentially do. Rob, you've paddled with me before, so maybe you could advise. I think I could do 15 nm in a day with some stops. Conditions would be the thing - will keep going to surf practice in the meantime. Had a successful brace last Tuesday in the right direction finally, but also took a swim. Maybe have to wait and see what your plan develops into. Florrie

OK, here's a thought: since the MITA B & C visit is a given, and the trip there is over generally sheltered water, we could tentatively plan to head there first, go ashore, then decide where to go from there.

Sounds like a plan. Looking forward to it.

Barry.

The Great Lost Bear in Portland (not downtown but not far from 295) is the best beer pub I've been to, although I admit I still have many more to get to. http://www.greatlostbear.com/ 60+ taps of mostly regional craft brews and you can experience the rotating selection with samplers so you get to try many, which is the entire point. Great food too. Has a patio...

This is the kind of place you can easily spend several hours in, but if Portland is too far from home for a trip itself, you may want to swing by to scout it and have a taste. You may end up planning kayak trips near Portland just so you have a reason to go to the GLB. Menu and fairly complete/updated tap list on their site.

I won't be able to attend as I'll be coming back from Maine that Friday but wanted to pass along the apres paddle spot in case anyone really loves great beer and hadn't heard of the Bear. Relatively small lot but there is street parking. Not on the waterfront so I don't know if people would feel comfortable with boats on their cars on the street (Lasso lock cable makes it all possible.) Being a Saturday after we get back from a week camping on Warren I wouldn't be surprised if my friends and I end up at the Bear that night. Recivilize the right way!

Enjoy.

We have 2 weeks to decide, and we can, perhaps should, plan out 2 or more possible routes so we can choose once we know the conditions we have to deal with.

This might well be the first step in a sequence of event culminating in some sage commenting here, "What were they thinking?" However, it would only be around 5 NM to go out to Eagle Island by way of Stave/Broken Cove which might be interesting with a bit of swell for those who like that sort of thing. Eagle is a nice place to visit if you have time to tour Byrd's home, etc.

Let's see. Out to Eagle, hang out, stop at Dolphin Marina for a bite to eat, then a twilight/night paddle back. Long day, but what better way to spend a day.

Ed Lawson

Who doesn't do these trips. Just thinks them up sitting in the easy chair.

This might well be the first step in a sequence of event culminating in some sage commenting here, "What were they thinking?" However, it would only be around 5 NM to go out to Eagle Island by way of Stave/Broken Cove which might be interesting with a bit of swell for those who like that sort of thing. Eagle is a nice place to visit if you have time to tour Byrd's home, etc.

Let's see. Out to Eagle, hang out, stop at Dolphin Marina for a bite to eat, then a twilight/night paddle back. Long day, but what better way to spend a day.

Ed Lawson

Who doesn't do these trips. Just thinks them up sitting in the easy chair.

Byrd? Did Richard Byrd live out there too? The bay must have been crawling with intrepid Admirals! :P

Seriously, I have the chart in front of me and your suggestion of Stave, Broken Cove and over to Eagle looks quite feasible, and should be one of the options we consider as we stand on Bangs looking out over the watery expanse. It will depend not only on the weather but on who shows up to paddle.

It will be a CAM trip, specified as a Level 3, and we will make decisions as we see fit, right?

So long as we check out B & C, and so long as we find that brew pub afterwards!

Well, this trip is beginning to sound like something I could maybe potentially do. Rob, you've paddled with me before, so maybe you could advise. I think I could do 15 nm in a day with some stops. Conditions would be the thing - will keep going to surf practice in the meantime. Had a successful brace last Tuesday in the right direction finally, but also took a swim. Maybe have to wait and see what your plan develops into. Florrie

Florrie,

Your question is a good one. Under the "Events & Planning" heading at the top of the page is the list of Trip Levels and what they mean in terms of strength and skills. Some of those skills are best learned on short outings in conditions rather than in the middle of a trip. Have you done any 15 mile days yet? Have you done some Level 2 trips with the club? You are looking at that balance between stretching your skills and holding up a group. We have all been in that position, and most of us still wrestle with it from time to time.

If we get into a stretch of rough water, then bracing skills will be critical. I don't envision this trip to be a surf and rock garden adventure, rather an exploration of new territory, as well as a fulfillment of our commitment to MITA as adopters of 2 islands. Having said that, we might find ourselves needing to cross a lumpy patch that we didn't foresee.

So keep honing your skills and keep reading this thread and make the decision when the time comes.

You are looking at that balance between stretching your skills and holding up a group. We have all been in that position, and most of us still wrestle with it from time to time.

Haha, if I were the paranoid type my ears would be ringing...

I can paddle forever through most anything but my pace is slower than many people with longer boats, so my personal aversion to this trip (if I could have gone) would be holding people up over that many miles. My boat itself will naturally take about anything without much effort from me to keep it upright, but but it is only 16ft and I know from Saturday that I can fall to the end of the pack and that's not where I like to be. They didn't seem to mind, but it wasn't a trip based on hard goals. We were just out to have fun and scoot around.

To present my perspective, I'd confidently take this trip on my own but would worry about slowing a group down. Taking a few group trips at a level 2 would allow you to figure out where you stand amongst the others, and with which people your abilities currently match up. There are a lot of people to paddle with and endless places to go to stretch your skills and build confidence. The harbors are great for giving you a taste of all kinds of conditions without being too far away - you can call it quits whenever you are ready and don't have to suffer bad conditions for too long. If you are feeling it, you can poke out of the harbor into the open and duck back in when you think you should.

Maybe you can see if a Group B can be put together with people otherwise reluctant to go, but would really like to? Group B can do something less ambitious then enjoy the brew pub with the entire group at the end of the day. Everyone has a good time, which is the point! Throw it out there and see who bites.

Haha, if I were the paranoid type my ears would be ringing...

I can paddle forever through most anything but my pace is slower than many people with longer boats, so my personal aversion to this trip (if I could have gone) would be holding people up over that many miles. My boat itself will naturally take about anything without much effort from me to keep it upright, but but it is only 16ft and I know from Saturday that I can fall to the end of the pack and that's not where I like to be. They didn't seem to mind, but it wasn't a trip based on hard goals. We were just out to have fun and scoot around.

To present my perspective, I'd confidently take this trip on my own but would worry about slowing a group down. Taking a few group trips at a level 2 would allow you to figure out where you stand amongst the others, and with which people your abilities currently match up. There are a lot of people to paddle with and endless places to go to stretch your skills and build confidence. The harbors are great for giving you a taste of all kinds of conditions without being too far away - you can call it quits whenever you are ready and don't have to suffer bad conditions for too long. If you are feeling it, you can poke out of the harbor into the open and duck back in when you think you should.

Maybe you can see if a Group B can be put together with people otherwise reluctant to go, but would really like to? Group B can do something less ambitious then enjoy the brew pub with the entire group at the end of the day. Everyone has a good time, which is the point! Throw it out there and see who bites.

I can paddle forever through most anything but my pace is slower than many people with longer boats, so my personal aversion to this trip (if I could have gone) would be holding people up over that many miles. My boat itself will naturally take about anything without much effort from me to keep it upright, but but it is only 16ft ...

Now I _really_ feel "inadequate" with my 14ft boat. :blush:

Cheers!

Ty

Fulfilling the "mission" is a 12 mile paddle; which is a decent day out by any measure. Anything else would be icing on the cake. I'd happily scale back the trip distance and pace if it meant bringing on newer members and getting rolling tips from Tyson :)

Below is a track for the "mission" and shows the other islands mentioned (Goslings, Whaleboat, Cliff and Eagle).

Barry.

cascobay71809.th.jpg

I'd happily scale back the trip distance and pace if it meant bringing on newer members and getting rolling tips from Tyson :)

Though I very much want to go paddle some of that area, the 18th is the Blackburn Challenge :boat: which Emilie and I will attempt to complete in our tandem :raft: ; which is somewhat longer than my 14ft solo (AKA "The barge" AKA "The tugboat" AKA "The Barcalounger"). I'll be out from knee surgery the following weekend and back on the water after that. At that point kayaking the coast of Maine will be pretty much irresistible.

Cheers! :smiley_cheers:

Ty