Skeg Cable

Does anyone know where I can find a skeg cable? I bent mine up pretty bad inside the skeg box and it needs to be replaced. I'd also like to get a spare one to carry with me. I will also need a cable cutter since I noticed that when you cut it with a regular wire cutter or linesmans pliers , the cable frays wildy at the cut end...... :douglas:

Does anyone know where I can find a skeg cable? I bent mine up pretty bad inside the skeg box and it needs to be replaced. I'd also like to get a spare one to carry with me. I will also need a cable cutter since I noticed that when you cut it with a regular wire cutter or linesmans pliers , the cable frays wildy at the cut end...... :douglas:

Hal,

Not sure where you can get a cable other than from WS. Bicycle shops sell cable cutters but you might try wrapping the cable with electrical tape before cutting.

Here's the official source:

http://store.kayakcentre.com/browse.cfm/4,243.html

Note claim for metric cable vs. alternatives. I suspect that's why Brian suggests the smaller size to avoid sticking.

Scott

You can order 1 x7 stainless steel cable through McMaster Carr < http://www.mcmaster.com > Search "wire rope". Minimum length is 25' but it's not very expensive and you've got your spare and a bit more to practice your cutting technique. They usually ship very quickly.

good luck,

Dana

You can order 1 x7 stainless steel cable through McMaster Carr < http://www.mcmaster.com > Search "wire rope". Minimum length is 25' but it's not very expensive and you've got your spare and a bit more to practice your cutting technique. They usually ship very quickly.

good luck,

Dana

If you order before 3pm McMaster ships same day and you'll receive your order the following day. They have a tremendous selection of hard to find items

Thanks for all the great info.... My friend Brad, Just happened to have a few pieces and we changed the old one out for a new one. The mechanism is a simple one and anyone with decent mechanical ability will be able to do this as long as you have the right tools and patience. A good friend with a helping hand doesnt hurt either. I noticed that the new cable was wound much tighter and had a stiffer feel to it although it seemed to be a smaller gauge. (1x7 braid- 3/16 gauge) Once we cut the line with a pair of cable cutters, Brad had me file the end to a bullet shape to make it easier to pass through the tube. I replaced both clips with 3/8 band clamps, the rear one is a real @#$%^. Thats where the patience thing came in. I also had to remove the seat to get at the forward clamp. All in all a great learning experience. There are some great tips as well as pictures on this site http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TempestOwners/

:dennis: See you on the water!!!