missing

dogfish

*******and where is YOUR float plan *****************

Press Release Date: June 21, 2009

(617) 406-9011

Coast Guard searches for missing kayak owner

BOSTON - The Coast Guard is searching for the owner of a kayak that was found washed up on the beach near the mouth of the Narrow's River and behind the Dune's Club in Narragansett, R.I. this morning.

Fishermen discovered the kayak, and also located nearby was a shoe, sweat pants, a cooler with live eel, and a kayak back rest.

The kayak is described as a 16-foot orange Wilderness Tarpon 160I.

The Coast Guard is asking that anyone who may have information about this kayak or its owner to call Sector Southeastern New England at 1-508-457-3211.

A Station Castle Hill, R.I. 41-foot utility boat and an Air Station Cape Cod Jayhawk rescue helicopter are actively searching the area.

"We still don't know if someone fell out of this kayak and is in trouble," said Chief Gerald Welpon of the First District Command Center in Boston. "However there is enough evidence in this case that makes us think there could be a problem, which is why we want to locate the owner of the kayak and get this resolved as quickly as possible."

### Saving Lives and Guarding the Coast Since 1790 ###

The United States Coast Guard -- Proud History. Powerful Future.

Send email replies to d1publicaffairs@uscg.mil

Do you Twitter? Sign up for updates at www.twitter.com/uscgnewengland

After reading this I searched the NSPN website for information on float plans. I finally found it, under "Safety Info" - Paddle Safe, in the section with the bold heading "Dress for the water, not the air!"

This is what it says:

"Float Plan – A float plan gives you a safety net. No one is going to come looking for you if no one knows you're lost. A float plan first sets a time for a search to begin, then it makes the search for you more effective by giving the searchers a starting point and anticipated route. A copy of the float plan should be kept in the dash of the car as well as back home with your emergency contact person."

That is great but the information is not well located and does not tell a novice what a float plan is.

I suggest that information about float plans be added to the "what to bring" section of "Events & Planning" and include a brief description of what a float plan is, what basic information it should contain, and why they are important.

Back in the day, this is what trip leaders would use, followed by a sheet with names, boat description, emergency contact info, etc., for each participant. To complete this form, the trip leader had to thoroughly research/plan the trip. I think it is a good checklist for all paddlers to use.

NSPN FLOAT PLAN

Information for This Trip

Trip Leader Names Level E-Mail Phone # (Optional)

Date:

RSVP?

Time of Launch:

Expected Time of Takeout:

Tidal Times & Heights:

Current Times, Direction, Flows:

Location of Vehicles:

After Trip Location (PPP-O):

TRIP MONITOR (Name and Phone Number):

Call in Emergency or to confirm whereabouts of group.

A. Basic Trip Information

Trip Name:

Put-In Location & Town:

Takeout Location & Town:

Planned Distance:

Planned Duration:

Minimum Skill Level:

Group Size:

B. Emergency Contacts

We are carrying (e.g., VHF Radios, cell phones #):

We Monitor Channels:

Coast Guard: Channel 16 *CG on cell phone reaches Coast Guard in VIRGINIA

Local Coast Guard Search and Rescue Telephone #:

Harbormaster:

Harbor Police:

Police:

Fire:

Hospital:

Other:

C. Trip Description (Planned route and landings, nearest roads):

Alternate Routes and Landings:

Summary for Posting:

D. Trip Planning

Charts:

Reference Books:

Special Hazards:

Alternate Put-Ins/Takeouts:

Put-In/Takeout Parking:

Facilities (restrooms):

Points of Interest:

The trip leader would call the trip monitor regarding any significant changes (e.g., medical emergency required trip to divert to Manchester harbor from Misery rather than returning to Marblehead, doing car shuttle, will be 3 hours late) or to confirm when safely off the water.

As I understand CAM, the trip initiator should include the "Basic Trip Information" described in part A and other useful info in the post for the trip. And, each paddler should be responsible for having his or her own float plan (especially leaving appropriate information with an emergency contact), checking on the weather, tides, etc.

BTW, I keep a laminated card with my name, address, emergency contacts, my doctor & health insurance info in my pfd and one in my kayak at all times. If either I or my kayak wash up somewhere, there will be no doubt about identity.

Liz Neumeier

************ Well HE wasnt lost too bad HE didnt call ***************

Cost to the us tax payer-----

A 41-foot utility boat, more than $770 per hour;

An HH-60J Jayhawk helicopter, more than $4,400 per hour.

Date: June 21, 2009

(617) 406-9011

*UPDATE*Coast Guard finds kayak owner safe

BOSTON - A 55-year-old Exeter, R.I. man called the Coast Guard this morning at 9:26 a.m. to report he is the owner of an abandoned kayak that washed ashore behind the Dune's Club in Narragansett, R.I. last night.

The abandoned kayak prompted an intensive Coast Guard search using an Air Station Cape Cod helicopter and a 41-foot utility boat from Station Castle Hill, R.I.

Fishermen reported finding the abandoned kayak last night, and also located nearby was a shoe, sweat pants, a cooler with live eel, and a kayak back rest.

Narragansett, R.I. police called Sector Southeastern New England 12:50 a.m. after becoming concerned that a person or persons may be missing on the water.

The 41-foot utility boat launched at 1:30 a.m. and the helicopter arrived on scene and began actively searching at 2:36 a.m.

At 7:45 a.m, the Coast Guard issued a press release asking anyone with information on the kayak to call Sector Southeastern New England.

The Rhode Island Environmental Police talked to the owner, who stated that he and another man were fishing around midnight last night when their kayaks overturned. They both struggled to get to shore, but the left the scene without initially reporting the incident, leaving one of the kayaks adrift.

"We strongly encourage those seperated from their boats to call their nearest Coast Guard unit right away," said Chief Gerald Welton. "If we got this information sooner, then we could have called off our search. These men were in distress and luckily were able to save themselves because they were wearing life jackets. Without knowing they made it to shore, however, it made us think they could have still been in the water and needing help. We are glad they are both ok."

Hi "dogfish".

NSPN cannot take responsibility, has no authority, and often has no relationship whatsoever with everybody who climbs into a kayak.

It does not make sense to get angry or confrontational with folks who are doing what they can -- within very heavy social constraints -- to educate and train those folks who want the help. Do you have any realistic or helpful comments?

Date: June 21, 2009

(617) 406-9011

*UPDATE*Coast Guard finds kayak owner safe

BOSTON - A 55-year-old Exeter, R.I. man called the Coast Guard this morning at 9:26 a.m. to report he is the owner of an abandoned kayak that washed ashore behind the Dune's Club in Narragansett, R.I. last night.

The abandoned kayak prompted an intensive Coast Guard search using an Air Station Cape Cod helicopter and a 41-foot utility boat from Station Castle Hill, R.I.

Fishermen reported finding the abandoned kayak last night, and also located nearby was a shoe, sweat pants, a cooler with live eel, and a kayak back rest.

Narragansett, R.I. police called Sector Southeastern New England 12:50 a.m. after becoming concerned that a person or persons may be missing on the water.

The 41-foot utility boat launched at 1:30 a.m. and the helicopter arrived on scene and began actively searching at 2:36 a.m.

At 7:45 a.m, the Coast Guard issued a press release asking anyone with information on the kayak to call Sector Southeastern New England.

The Rhode Island Environmental Police talked to the owner, who stated that he and another man were fishing around midnight last night when their kayaks overturned. They both struggled to get to shore, but the left the scene without initially reporting the incident, leaving one of the kayaks adrift.

"We strongly encourage those seperated from their boats to call their nearest Coast Guard unit right away," said Chief Gerald Welton. "If we got this information sooner, then we could have called off our search. These men were in distress and luckily were able to save themselves because they were wearing life jackets. Without knowing they made it to shore, however, it made us think they could have still been in the water and needing help. We are glad they are both ok."

Point taken. Yes, that is a lot of money.

Not sure what point you are trying to make with this sarcastic comment.

Gay

Your assuming sarcasm. simple point is that a simple call about a boat that was not recovered would have not launched a very expensive day on the water. The other side of the kayak would be thank goodness the Coast Guard does launch on an unoccupied kayak.

After reading this I searched the NSPN website for information on float plans. I finally found it, under "Safety Info" - Paddle Safe, in the section with the bold heading "Dress for the water, not the air!"

This is what it says:

"Float Plan – A float plan gives you a safety net. No one is going to come looking for you if no one knows you're lost. A float plan first sets a time for a search to begin, then it makes the search for you more effective by giving the searchers a starting point and anticipated route. Liz Neumeier

With all due respect, Liz, that concept of the float plan is one of the things that killed the NSPN trip leader system (a tragic loss, IMHO). I have a very high tolerance for paperwork, but even I found that float plan daunting to construct.

But the function of a float plan that informs a search, should something happen, is really crucial. So I propose that we separate the idea of a float plan into two parts -- one for that purpose, which everybody should do for every trip and put on their windshield, and the rest which, in all honesty, will rarely get done for informal trips.

What should go in the "essential" plan on your windshield? Perhaps: start and expected return time and place; routes and alternatives contemplated; paddler names and boat descriptions. How's that sound?

--David.

With all due respect, Liz, that concept of the float plan is one of the things that killed the NSPN trip leader system (a tragic loss, IMHO). I have a very high tolerance for paperwork, but even I found that float plan daunting to construct.

But the function of a float plan that informs a search, should something happen, is really crucial. So I propose that we separate the idea of a float plan into two parts -- one for that purpose, which everybody should do for every trip and put on their windshield, and the rest which, in all honesty, will rarely get done for informal trips.

What should go in the "essential" plan on your windshield? Perhaps: start and expected return time and place; routes and alternatives contemplated; paddler names and boat descriptions. How's that sound?

--David.

a floatplan is an important safety tool you can use before you launch....before you even leave shore you are giving info on where you are, what you're doing and what time someone needs to start looking for me if i haven't turned up. just a good idea.

personally, i tend to NOT leave information on my dashboard saying where i'm going and that i won't be back for hours....to my paranoid way of thinking, that invites trouble but if I DON'T call and give someone the all clear on when i'm back ashore, then they call the coasties and someone starts looking for my soggy butt.

even if you just CALL up a buddy and say hey, i'm putting in here, heading to here...if i don't call you by 4pm there's a problem and maybe someone oughta start looking for me.

Obviously the more info you leave, the better off any search vessels will be but even a minimum amount of precautionary info is far better than none.

I am with Rick on this. I ***NEVER*** get on the water, regardless of how organized the trip is, without my own contact (usually my wife) knowing where the car is, when I am expected back, and when to call out the dogs (not the same time, usually 2-3 hour gap, longer on a big trip), and at least a crude idea of where we are paddling (i.e. Lane's Cove, heading SW).

Same is true for hiking trips....anybody remember that bozo who had to remove his own arm after several days hanging from a smashed arm trapped by a rolled-boulder? All was preventable if he had made one phone call before hiking down that canyon.

I never lapse on making that phone call, but I very rarely bother with anything more structured or written...it just isn't necessary if you use somebody responsible at the other end of the phone. This is all obviously imperative if paddling/hiking solo, but I still do it even for same in groups....cheap insurance.

Point well taken about having a monitor, and maybe not leaving something on the dashboard. I don't know which is better, but at least one or the other.

Actually, as I think about it, a monitor and a phone call to them is essential. My wife almost forces me to do that with her. What I don't do, and don't see how I could on a CAM SnG, is leave a list of all the boats and paddlers with her, and also include whatever plan we may have agreed on, CAM-style, on the beach. Well, I guess I could call her with that plan, but launching is often such a rush thing -- with someone yelling "hey, the tide's coming in, lets get moving" -- I'm not sure I would get to it. In any case, if it's CAM, it has to be a group activity.

So maybe that's an argument for the group to create that list at the beach and leave it on a windshield in a waterproof envelope. If the monitor does not get the call upon return and has to rouse the troops, they can at least point them to the car and the list, which will help them in whatever they need to do.

Point well taken about having a monitor, and maybe not leaving something on the dashboard. I don't know which is better, but at least one or the other.

Actually, as I think about it, a monitor and a phone call to them is essential. My wife almost forces me to do that with her. What I don't do, and don't see how I could on a CAM SnG, is leave a list of all the boats and paddlers with her, and also include whatever plan we may have agreed on, CAM-style, on the beach. Well, I guess I could call her with that plan, but launching is often such a rush thing -- with someone yelling "hey, the tide's coming in, lets get moving" -- I'm not sure I would get to it. In any case, if it's CAM, it has to be a group activity.

So maybe that's an argument for the group to create that list at the beach and leave it on a windshield in a waterproof envelope. If the monitor does not get the call upon return and has to rouse the troops, they can at least point them to the car and the list, which will help them in whatever they need to do.

When I go paddling, I let my wife know where I am going and that I will call her by X time. If not please call me or Y (other person on the trip). If she can't reach me or other other person she would then call the CG and let them know were I should be and that I am missing.

With CAM S&G's you just have many more trip monitors.

I also agree with Rick that I rather not have it know that nobody will be back to the cars for X hours.

-Jason

With all due respect, Liz,

--David.

Hi David,

No offense taken.

Please note that I said

"As I understand CAM, the trip initiator should include the "Basic Trip Information" described in part A and other useful info in the post for the trip. And, each paddler should be responsible for having his or her own float plan (especially leaving appropriate information with an emergency contact)"

Common sense: A paddler should tell someone where you are going and when you expect to be back, and what to do if you don't report in.

I quoted the old trip leader float plan form as a checklist aid in trip planning, not to suggest that it be resurrected.

This, link provided by dogfish, is also a good checklist - everyone should think about all these things and figure out what they need - although it is probably overkill for most local paddles. http://www.floatplancentral.org/download/USCGFloatPlan.pdf

This costly search could also have been avoided if the paddler had kept an ID in his boat!

Liz

Below is a Float Plan I printed and gave to the people kayaking on our recent trip to Boothbay Harbor. We had as many as 8 groups heading in different directions at different times. There were as many as 40 people on the water during the day and I felt a float plan would be very helpful to know where people were headed and help insure that everyone returned safely. Fortunately everyone did return safely but had there been an incident we would've known where they were paddling as I also provided them with route maps labeled so that they could use the map name to indicate the area they would be paddling when filling out the Float Plan. Most people were very receptive to filling out this "optional" Float Plan and the ones who did not did let someone know where they planned to paddle. We also had a designated VHF Channel although unfortunately only a few people actually had VHF Radios.

http://www.seakayakermag.com/PDFs/float_plan.pdf