Rescue Practice & Paddle -- Sunday June 7

djlewis

Meet Sunday at Pebble Beach on Cape Ann for a 10:00 butts-in-boats toward Straitsmouth and the Salvages. Objective -- practice lots of rescues of all kinds and some towing, in water rough and plain, with demonstrations, instruction and just passing it back and forth. There are lots of ledges and rocks out there for those inclined to rougher, and open water for not-so-rough. We can paddle a bit for lunch break on a beach or other interesting place.

Come prepared to get wet. It's at the upper end of dry suit water temps, but some may be fine in wet suits -- you know yourself best. Helmets mandatory (I have a couple of loaners). Bring short and long tow lines, and we'll have some for loan. (If you tow, you should have a line cutter, knife or sea-snips.)

CAM style rules.

Directions to Pebble Beach are in the put-in section of the web site, and here... http://bit.ly/ZZcdG. Park head-in to minimize our footprint.

--David.

...(If you tow, you should have a line cutter, knife or sea-snips.)...

I believe this is for informational purposes only, i.e. Bob Burnett is safely tucked away in Seattle this weekend and noone will be cutting your tow line for practice.

...(If you tow, you should have a line cutter, knife or sea-snips.)...

I believe this is for informational purposes only, i.e. Bob Burnett is safely tucked away in Seattle this weekend and noone will be cutting your tow line for practice.

Probably not. We'll save the intentional entanglements and line cutting practice for pool and lake sessions, where it's a bit safer. But just in case...

--David.

Meet Sunday at Pebble Beach on Cape Ann for a 10:00 butts-in-boats toward Straitsmouth and the Salvages. Objective -- practice lots of rescues of all kinds and some towing, in water rough and plain, with demonstrations, instruction and just passing it back and forth. There are lots of ledges and rocks out there for those inclined to rougher, and open water for not-so-rough. We can paddle a bit for lunch break on a beach or other interesting place.

Come prepared to get wet. It's at the upper end of dry suit water temps, but some may be fine in wet suits -- you know yourself best. Helmets mandatory (I have a couple of loaners). Bring short and long tow lines, and we'll have some for loan. (If you tow, you should have a line cutter, knife or sea-snips.)

CAM style rules.

Directions to Pebble Beach are in the put-in section of the web site, and here... http://bit.ly/ZZcdG. Park head-in to minimize our footprint.

--David.

David,

I'm interested in attending. Would appreciate borrowing a helmet, if necessary, although I'm content to watch others in the rocks for the time being. Mostly I would like to practice rescues away from rocks and ledges.

Bob

David,

I'm interested in attending. Would appreciate borrowing a helmet, if necessary, although I'm content to watch others in the rocks for the time being. Mostly I would like to practice rescues away from rocks and ledges.

Bob

Helmets are generally recommended not only for rocks and surf, but also for games that involve bumping and jumping in/out of boats, including rescue practice in any water. I did say "mandatory" but that's just because it's common practice -- it's really up to you. I'll bring a couple of loaners, and I hope others will too, so we'll have a range of sizes.

Helmets are generally recommended not only for rocks and surf, but also for games that involve bumping and jumping in/out of boats, including rescue practice in any water. I did say "mandatory" but that's just because it's common practice -- it's really up to you. I'll bring a couple of loaners, and I hope others will too, so we'll have a range of sizes.

Count me in

Hoping someone will comment on the appropriateness of this paddle for me. Just joined NSPN a few weeks ago but have been paddling in the area for past 7 years. Reasonable amount of fair weather open water paddling experience, but self-rescue and assisted rescue practice limited to flat water (and, sad to say, not all that much practice there either). Skills mostly self-taught from books. Under meticulously controlled conditions on flat water, successful roll is, uh, let's say "not too uncommon". Bracing OK in theory, but limited experience with real-world use. No towing experience. No surf experience. Kevlar CD Gulfstream. Wetsuit only, no helmet, never-used tow rope, no knife, cheap paddle leash.

I'm looking to improve my rescue skills and comfort level when in less-than-ideal conditions. I plan on attending some Chebacco Lake sessions this summer for flat water work, but felt like this trip might be a good introduction to some open water practice. If I lack the baseline equipment or background skills, however, please let me know. Thanks.

Greg

Hoping someone will comment on the appropriateness of this paddle for me. Just joined NSPN a few weeks ago but have been paddling in the area for past 7 years. Reasonable amount of fair weather open water paddling experience, but self-rescue and assisted rescue practice limited to flat water (and, sad to say, not all that much practice there either). Skills mostly self-taught from books. Under meticulously controlled conditions on flat water, successful roll is, uh, let's say "not too uncommon". Bracing OK in theory, but limited experience with real-world use. No towing experience. No surf experience. Kevlar CD Gulfstream. Wetsuit only, no helmet, never-used tow rope, no knife, cheap paddle leash.

I'm looking to improve my rescue skills and comfort level when in less-than-ideal conditions. I plan on attending some Chebacco Lake sessions this summer for flat water work, but felt like this trip might be a good introduction to some open water practice. If I lack the baseline equipment or background skills, however, please let me know. Thanks.

Greg

greg,

high tide - noon

current forecast for sunday is for W wind 5 -10, SW in afternoon, seas 2-3. water temp is mid 50's

if all that sounds reasonable to you, it sounds like you have baseline skills and are more than welcome to join us all - you can borrow gear you don't have from within the group.

as ever, it's up to you and use your best judgement.

Greg

Greg,

My skills and equipment are similar to yours. We could form a "newbie pod" to work on open ocean bracing, rolls, and perhaps some self- and assisted rescues within highly controlled conditions (away from rocks and surf). At the very least, it also sounds like a nice paddle.

Bob

My skills and equipment are similar to yours. We could form a "newbie pod" to work on open ocean bracing, rolls, and perhaps some self- and assisted rescues within highly controlled conditions (away from rocks and surf). At the very least, it also sounds like a nice paddle.

Yes, there will definitely be plenty to do for folks in milder water. The detailed local forecast for the area is all but flat -- just 1 foot of swell (see http://bit.ly/3V5Gyb, a terrific tool that accounts for swell direction and shadowing landforms).

Janaki and I will probably be there - depends how long Saturday night goes....

Graham

Hope non-couples will carpool, as the group is getting a bit large and parking at Pebble, while usually ample, may be somewhat pressured.

In that vein, anybody coming up from or through the Cambridge, Somerville, Arlington area interested in pooling with me? (djlewis at triadic dot com)

--David.

Planning to join you also.

As far as carpooling, I may or may not have room for one more boat. If I know at a reasonable time that I will be by myself, I could meet someone at the gas station with the big flag on 128 before Gloucester (That's the Wisconsin way of giving directions). Could then take one more boat on my car to limit the number of cars at the put-in.

I'll post again if this will work for me. Planning to get on the road at 7:30 am.

Gay

I'll be coming up from Salem way after dropping Lorrie of at 8:30 and will have room for 1 boat if some one wants a ride.

Also, paddled out of Manchester today and the outside had 2-3 with the occasional 4' swell. Kinda close together but you get what you get.

Phil

Planning to join you also.

As far as carpooling, I may or may not have room for one more boat. If I know at a reasonable time that I will be by myself, I could meet someone at the gas station with the big flag on 128 before Gloucester (That's the Wisconsin way of giving directions). Could then take one more boat on my car to limit the number of cars at the put-in.

I'll post again if this will work for me. Planning to get on the road at 7:30 am.

Gay

I'll have room for one more boat. Post here by 7:20 am if anyone wants to carpool.

Gay

I'll have room for one more boat. Post here by 7:20 am if anyone wants to carpool.

Gay

Hi Gay,

I'm not going but I think you mean the Berger King/Gas Station complex just beyond the underpass after exit 19 on route 128 northbound.