Rolling classes wanted

We just joined NSPN and plan to attend the practice sessions at the locations offered. We also can see the value of professional instruction. We both are especially interested in learning to roll. We would like private or group lessons. So, if an instructor out there is willing to provide lessons for two beginners who will work hard please contact us.

Thanks,

Joe & Chris

We just joined NSPN and plan to attend the practice sessions at the locations offered. We also can see the value of professional instruction. We both are especially interested in learning to roll. We would like private or group lessons. So, if an instructor out there is willing to provide lessons for two beginners who will work hard please contact us.

Thanks,

Joe & Chris

where are you? we play in amesbury at lake gardner every wednesday after work and you're welcome to join us. several of us have experience enough to teach you to roll....there are aca and bcu and just plain good paddlers enough to sort it through with you.

first lake session is this wednesday at 5:30 - lake gardner, amesbury, ma.

from 95....take amesbury exit Rte 110 W....take R at gas station across from BK....this puts you on elm....take elm to little rotary at center of town...go across rotary and up the hill...this is high rd...take rd til you come to the entrance to the public parking for the lake...it's on your R.

google maps is your friend and if you just type in lake gardner amesbury ma....that's the one that shows up.

questions - rickstoehrerathotmaildotcom

There are lake sessions other days of the week in other areas that you should be able to find on the website at "Message Board-Calendar of Events". There's almost always someone there willing to help you learn. You may find you need to reach to different instructors/methods before you find someone/method that works for you. Don't get discouraged. When you think you've got it you might want to find a sadist who will sit behind you or otherwise cause you to capsize to see how well you might do in a real situation. Its also quite a difference rolling in warm lake water versus the ocean, even mid summer, so try it there (with a spotter).

Joe and Chris:

As Rick S. pointed out, the skill sessions are a great place to learn to roll from peers, but if you are hell bent on paying a professional, there are some highly qualified people in the club that I believe do give private lessons. A few I could recommend would be (not in any particular order): Bill Gwynn

Rick Stoehrer

Bob Clark

Deb Miller

Kevin Beckwith

I believe they all hold BCU certifcations for coaching at some level.

All of these people can be reached on the message board. Just look them up under the members list and send them a private message. If they can't help you, I'm sure they can point you to some other instructor in the area.

I might also suggest watching an instructional video; specifically, The Kayak Roll. I found watching it several times before, and after learning to roll, was helpful in refining my technique. It is nauseatingly detail-laden and repetitious, but it really works.

Jon

I might also suggest watching an instructional video

Without getting into issue of the value watching videos when learning how to roll, I'll add three more videos to the list. EJ's Rolling and Bracing which is WW (so what?) focused, but very, very good. Jay B.'s First Roll which does a good job with the GP/extended paddle roll, and Dubside's Greenland Rolling which will impress upon you never to blame the boat, but unless you are a GP fan not that useful.

My $.02 on rolling instruction is there are many people who can show/tell you to roll the way they roll, there are not many people who can teach and have a variety of rolling techniques in their tool box, and rather few who can watch and discern what techniques are best suited to you and teach you to use those techniques successfully.

Ed Lawson

Hey there! Each lake/practice session has someone qualified to teach you how to roll! Cathy's list was great and you can find each of those folks at the Chebacco, Amesbury, and Forest River sessions . . . Amesbury is on Wednesday's, Chebacco on Thursday's and Forest River on Fridays.

I can be talked into teaching rolling (beer is a great persuader) but would like any would-be rollers to learn support and maneuvering strokes plus sculling for support first so you'll trust in your paddle.

I've seen most of the videos listed and they're very good. Be wary of

the many rolling videos on YouTube; some show good technique, some don't.