Kokatat Ronin Pro PFD.

jason

I am looking to get a Kokatat Ronin Pro PFD and for a silly reason they only sell them in Canada and Europe (The PFD is approved in the states but the rescue buckle is not).

Is anybody heading to Canada in the near future? I am looking to take a swiftwater rescue course and it would be best to have a rescue vest for the class. If your heading to Canada and will be back before June 6th please let me know I should be able to order one and have it shipped to your location (that is if your willing to bring it back to MA).

Thanks -Jason

I am looking to get a Kokatat Ronin Pro PFD and for a silly reason they only sell them in Canada and Europe (The PFD is approved in the states but the rescue buckle is not).

Is anybody heading to Canada in the near future? I am looking to take a swiftwater rescue course and it would be best to have a rescue vest for the class. If your heading to Canada and will be back before June 6th please let me know I should be able to order one and have it shipped to your location (that is if your willing to bring it back to MA).

Thanks -Jason

FWIW...don't know if you've tried anything else jason but i have much love of the astral greenjacket rescue vest and am very impressed with mine. mobility/comfort are exceptional and the pocket space really very good and it's equipped for rescue - rigged with assorted web loops and a spectra loop...more than beefy enough for my needs. it's uscg approved and for sale in the US. don't know where you can get them locally but they are available.

amongst the other things you can get in canada that you can only imagine in the US....fries with cheese gravy (potain? is that what it's called? in US english i think it's pronouned yuck)

whatever you get, enjoy.

amongst the other things you can get in canada that you can only imagine in the US....fries with cheese gravy (potain? is that what it's called? in US english i think it's pronouned yuck)

It's called Poutine and it's awesome!

FWIW...don't know if you've tried anything else jason but i have much love of the astral greenjacket rescue vest and am very impressed with mine. mobility/comfort are exceptional and the pocket space really very good and it's equipped for rescue - rigged with assorted web loops and a spectra loop...more than beefy enough for my needs. it's uscg approved and for sale in the US. don't know where you can get them locally but they are available.

whatever you get, enjoy.

Thanks for the advice on the Astral but, I love the fit of my current non rescue Ronin and I am very much attached to it. If I didn't like it this much I wouldn't be looking for a way to import the rescue version.

I plan on replacing my current Ronin with one I can use for white water and ocean paddling. My brother will end up with current Ronin as he could use a better PFD.

A few things that the Ronin has that I wouldn't want to part with:

1. The Ronin is made as an XXL where the astral is not.

2. The designed float for the XXL Ronin is 18LBs, the Astral is 16.75.

3. The Ronin has the full spinal protection, along with the side panels that wrap around to add side protection. (in my book important for WW or rock play).

4. I know that my mini 1st aid kit, mini repair kit, compass, whistle and VHF fits in the front pocket in the Ronin,

5. The Ronin has a strobe lash tab on back where it doesn't seem that he astral does.

5. My hydration pack works great on my current ronin.

-Jason

Hi Jason,

Did you ask Suz if she can do a Canadian end run for ya, or grab a blem straight from the factory?

Ern

Hi Jason,

Did you ask Suz if she can do a Canadian end run for ya, or grab a blem straight from the factory?

Ern

No blems allowed!

I don't get up to Canada too often.

The Ronin Pro hasn't undergone testing in the US market - UL testing is very expensive. The Canadian and the European market have different guidelines. Kokatat won't sell to the US market PFD's that are not approved to be used in the US.

Suz

Montreal is not far, and if the exchange rate is good it's not too expensive of a trip. As a recovering gear junkie I can confirm that the MEC in Montreal is awesome. The bargains are on the MEC brand merchandise, the big brands, like MSR, have the prices set so you pay the same no matter which side of the border you're on.

Oh and their is paddling to be done in Montreal, you can paddle the St Lawrence (flat water or white water) or go to some nice parks just outside the city.

A NSPN member Dan Roy lives in Montreal, so if you do head up I suggest getting in touch with him to paddle together, or to see if he wants some gear from the US.

Too bad you didn't post this a month ago, Kim and I were in Quebec mid April.

Montreal is not far, and if the exchange rate is good it's not too expensive of a trip. As a recovering gear junkie I can confirm that the MEC in Montreal is awesome. The bargains are on the MEC brand merchandise, the big brands, like MSR, have the prices set so you pay the same no matter which side of the border you're on.

Oh and their is paddling to be done in Montreal, you can paddle the St Lawrence (flat water or white water) or go to some nice parks just outside the city.

A NSPN member Dan Roy lives in Montreal, so if you do head up I suggest getting in touch with him to paddle together, or to see if he wants some gear from the US.

Too bad you didn't post this a month ago, Kim and I were in Quebec mid April.

Thanks for the info. I might have to do a road trip with Jon. Dan and I took the old 4* together and is a fun person to paddle with.

I guess I am just a few months late. It would have been great if I thought of this in early April.......

Thanks Again -Jason

• 1 month later...

whatever you get, enjoy.

I am looking at the green vest - I can get a great deal through work, but need to go through the factory. I am trying to figure out sizing. I am at the upper end of what the call M/L. I am 6' and 180 pound and tend to get Large coats and shirts.

mike

mbpaddler@gmail.com

I am looking at the green vest - I can get a great deal through work, but need to go through the factory. I am trying to figure out sizing. I am at the upper end of what the call M/L. I am 6' and 180 pound and tend to get Large coats and shirts.

mike

mbpaddler@gmail.com

If you can wait until Jan, I just found out that the Ronin Pro will be out and legal for sale in Jan. (Late X-Mass present?).

-Jason

I am an MEC member Jason so theoretically, If you are willing to pay postage, we could just order one and have it shipped to us.

No where near as much fun as actually going there to get it yourself but perhaps a little more affordable right now.

Jon

I am an MEC member Jason so theoretically, If you are willing to pay postage, we could just order one and have it shipped to us.

No where near as much fun as actually going there to get it yourself but perhaps a little more affordable right now.

Jon

You could try but I believe that as it isn't approved for use in the US, they can not legally ship to the US.

Suz

You could try but I believe that as it isn't approved for use in the US, they can not legally ship to the US.

Suz

Your correct Suz, I tried a few weeks ago and as soon as they found out I was in the US, their system blocked the order. Guess we will have to wait until January.