A boat for three uses?

sidcohen

Hi Ya'll,

I know I need at least one more boat for my fleet. Maybe more, I'm addicted!!! My name is Sid and I'm paddling addict ;)

I'm looking for a unit that:

1) I can train my 11 year old nephew on Walden Pond this summer, all the basic stuff, and maybe how to get back in the boat if his swimming improves a bit. And, maybe he'll use it again next year if he doesn't get to big by then. Hopefully I can post his height and weight here shortly.

2) A totally untrained adult can use it in light conditions, in protected waters, comfortably.

3) Might be fun to surf in for an intermediate paddler, mainly me. :surfing:

I'll probably end up selling it for him but a guy named "Joe" is selling a BorealDesign Kasko http://www.borealdesign.com/_en/kayak.php?id=11 It's got all three of the options listed. It looks to be about the right length and beam to me . Something my nephew could grow into, stable enough but not so wide at the beam, 23 1/2 inches, that he couldn't roll it next year or the year after if he practiced and it turns out he's into it. I could live without the rudder because I want to him to learn how to paddle a kayak but I suppose it could be useful in the wind for adults. I might get in the way or be dangerous for surfing? I'd like to use it for "guests".

Am I expecting to much for one boat? Will this be such a compromise that it won't be good enough at anything but number 2 on my list above. Can you suggest some other units that might fit this bill. Do I need three boats for this purpose? Your thoughts?

Hey Sid,

Description fits my Lincoln Chebeague. 14.6' L x 24"W . No rocker to speak of. Turns on a dime. Rolls and weighs 30 lb in Kevlar. The cockpit is a seakayak cockpit but roomy and with a fairly flat bottom should surf well. Fairly high front deck so not intimidating for larger paddlers. My wife uses it for short trips and I use it when I go to Walden and don't want to slep a heavy boat. Up to 4 4.5 k it is no slower than a longer boat and has no skeg nor needs one. You are welcome to borrow it for a while and see for yourself.

Hey Gene,

Thanks, I'll take you up on that sometime soon., because I don't think I've paddled many rec boats. But I'm pretty sure thats what I need for this purpose. It's probably a little higher end than I need but it would be a great SUV topper. However I was thinking something in heavy pretzel mouse rotomolded plastic and low $$$. I think I blew my most of my wad on the Impex boat. ;)

:rubberring:

An Avocet worked for my (then) 13 yr old and is great fun for me to surf in...and I have had newbies in it at the lake.

Used are short money.....

An Avocet worked for my (then) 13 yr old and is great fun for me to surf in...and I have had newbies in it at the lake.

Thanks Paul,

I have a Wilderness Systems Tempest 165, that has become like an extension of my body and it's a super play boat, much like like the Avocet in configuration and handling. I'm going to use it to train a different nephew, a 14 year old, he's about 5'6 and maybe 130 or so pounds. The 165 is my wife's boat but after I discovered a while ago that my Tempest 170 was too high volume for me I decided to would paddle the 165 when ever we didn't paddle together. I kind of stole may wife's boat. Now I'm working on the cockpit of my Impex Cat Force 4 to make it more comfortable, contacts not a problem, it just has a weird fiberglass seat with a very high back and a back-strap that is mounted to high for me. I like the Force 4 much better for longer trips with friends who are strong paddlers and have fast boats and I love its lines. It handles so much better in the wind and I hardly ever deploy the skeg. I'll borrow the 165 on occasion to surf or play in the rocks.

I was thinking of getting something smaller than the Avocet. If can use my 165 with the 11 year old then I'll just take turns with my nephews on the water. However his is a lot smaller than the 14 year old, about 85 pounds (I'm still trying to get his height from his parents). Maybe a long white water boat would work with flotation bags? But that wouldn't work for newbies who need a lot of primary stability.

Sid

Thanks Paul,

I have a Wilderness Systems Tempest 165, that has become like an extension of my body and it's a super play boat, much like like the Avocet in configuration and handling. I'm going to use it to train a different nephew, a 14 year old, he's about 5'6 and maybe 130 or so pounds. The 165 is my wife's boat but after I discovered a while ago that my Tempest 170 was too high volume for me I decided to would paddle the 165 when ever we didn't paddle together. I kind of stole may wife's boat. Now I'm working on the cockpit of my Impex Cat Force 4 to make it more comfortable, contacts not a problem, it just has a weird fiberglass seat with a very high back and a back-strap that is mounted to high for me. I like the Force 4 much better for longer trips with friends who are strong paddlers and have fast boats and I love its lines. It handles so much better in the wind and I hardly ever deploy the skeg. I'll borrow the 165 on occasion to surf or play in the rocks.

I was thinking of getting something smaller than the Avocet. If can use my 165 with the 11 year old then I'll just take turns with my nephews on the water. However his is a lot smaller than the 14 year old, about 85 pounds (I'm still trying to get his height from his parents). Maybe a long white water boat would work with flotation bags? But that wouldn't work for newbies who need a lot of primary stability.

Sid

I had a lot of fun in a Easky 15....

http://www.venturekayaks.com/page1.php?Page=71

Hi Sid,

My initial thought was to just use your T165, but that may be too tender for a complete newbie adult. I really like the Manitou 14 as a novice skegged 'n trip-ready 'yak that fits big guys too.

If you can score a used glass one it's quite attractive at only 39 lbs!

Ern

I'll second Paul's idea of the Avocet. Great all around kayak and has worked well with beginners, too.

Sid:

I'll second your concept. I've put nieces, nephews and assorted kids of frinds into my Avocet and Romany. It works, but if they're under 14 or so, they are much happier in the used Impex Sea Breeze I got: 14' and 21/5" beam. It's a real sea going kayak, just more their size in terms of cockpit fit and ease of handling.

I've had many small adults (under say 140-150 lbs) be happy in it as well. At 6'-2". I fit and can paddle in it, but I would hesitate to take it out myself if I had a choice. It's fun though.

The Sea Breeze hull and stability is similar to the Romany, just smaller: shallow V-bottom with rounded chines. It has only a rear bulkhead and no day hatch, not a problem for kids generally. Just be sure to get a good float bag for the bow. Impex makes a two bulkhead version of this hull in the Mystic, still no day hatch. Both are very light to carry. I've not found the narrow beam a problem for kids at all.

Impex makes a couple of other basic 13-14' boats that are well designed: check out the Irie and the Gale. http://www.impexkayak.com/formula.html

Scott

One final consideration: do the kids a favor and find a smaller kids paddle. Both the length and weight of an adult paddle is a real barrier for them to learn and have fun.

Hey Sid,

Description fits my Lincoln Chebeague. 14.6' L x 24"W . No rocker to speak of. Turns on a dime. Rolls and weighs 30 lb in Kevlar. The cockpit is a seakayak cockpit but roomy and with a fairly flat bottom should surf well. Fairly high front deck so not intimidating for larger paddlers. My wife uses it for short trips and I use it when I go to Walden and don't want to slep a heavy boat. Up to 4 4.5 k it is no slower than a longer boat and has no skeg nor needs one. You are welcome to borrow it for a while and see for yourself.

I love my Chebeague, too, as an all-around boat. I had no idea it could roll, but my daughter learned to use it when she was 12 or 13 and many a friend has taken it for a spin. I use it when I go solo, due to the light weight. It is worth every cent I paid for it ($1,500 used).

Sid:

I'll second your concept. I've put nieces, nephews and assorted kids of frinds into my Avocet and Romany. It works, but if they're under 14 or so, they are much happier in the used Impex Sea Breeze I got: 14' and 21/5" beam. It's a real sea going kayak, just more their size in terms of cockpit fit and ease of handling.

I've had many small adults (under say 140-150 lbs) be happy in it as well. At 6'-2". I fit and can paddle in it, but I would hesitate to take it out myself if I had a choice. It's fun though.

The Sea Breeze hull and stability is similar to the Romany, just smaller: shallow V-bottom with rounded chines. It has only a rear bulkhead and no day hatch, not a problem for kids generally. Just be sure to get a good float bag for the bow. Impex makes a two bulkhead version of this hull in the Mystic, still no day hatch. Both are very light to carry. I've not found the narrow beam a problem for kids at all.

Impex makes a couple of other basic 13-14' boats that are well designed: check out the Irie and the Gale. http://www.impexkayak.com/formula.html

Scott

One final consideration: do the kids a favor and find a smaller kids paddle. Both the length and weight of an adult paddle is a real barrier for them to learn and have fun.

Go with the Mystic, it is a great boat. It was my wife's first composite boat. As mentioned it has a bow & stern hatch & a skeg. It is a small sea boat. I weigh 155# & am 5'8" & it worked for me, great fun in the surf!

Go with the Mystic, it is a great boat. It was my wife's first composite boat. As mentioned it has a bow & stern hatch & a skeg. It is a small sea boat. I weigh 155# & am 5'8" & it worked for me, great fun in the surf!

My daughter started paddling a Mystic at age 11. It's very maneuverable, lightweight and fun.

I use it as much as my Vela and friends much taller than me paddle it very comfortably. If you and your nephew want to try it out on Walden Pond some time, let me know.

Gay