REI Demo Days

brwells

It's that time again.... For many years now, NSPN has assisted REI with their Demo Day. We provide safety paddlers, advice to those on the water, the very occasional rescue, and assistance as needed by REI. These events are always well attended - hundreds of people come out to try out all the various kayaks and a few canoes. There are often 50 or so craft in the water at a time.

In exchange for our help, REI gives us space for our booth, lunch, and all the NSPN participants get a nice wicking t-shirt and discount coupons for REI.

This year it will be held on April 25th in Briantree at the Sunset Lake Recreational area fro 11 to 3.

If you would like to come help out, please respond to me via brian@nspn.org We need six or more volunteers for the water and if you would like to meet and talk with people in the booth, we need help there too. You don't need to be an expert paddler to help; just be confident and able to perform a simple t-rescue.

Count me in. I may have to bring my 11 year old son Nathan in the Tandem but it sounds like a good time.

wow, thanks for all the support guys! we unfortunately have to run our new to sea kayakers workshop on the same day as rei demo day and we were worried about not having enough volunteers for both - thanks for all the help!!

Hi Brian,

I'm probably good for it too.

Cheers.

Ern

Ern,

I am helping out with the REI demo day and just sent you an email. Please check your spam folder if you don't see an email in your inbox with the subject REI Demo Day.

Thanks,

Betty

we unfortunately have to run our new to sea kayakers workshop on the same day as rei demo day

In the when it rains it pours department, April 25 is also the PaddleSmart event at the South Portland CG Station.

Ed Lawson

Looks like we still need some help both on the water and in the booth...

Water:

Glen

Betty Ann

Ernie

BillH

Doug

We could use at least three more, minimum... REI wanted 6 on the water at all times... we don't even have enough for bathroom breaks or lunch shifts... ;)

Booth:

me! :(

Aw come on... this is a fun day!

...and it usually means free stuff and coupons too!

Come join us!

Looks like we still need some help both on the water and in the booth...

Water:

Glen

Betty Ann

Ernie

BillH

Doug

We could use at least three more, minimum... REI wanted 6 on the water at all times... we don't even have enough for bathroom breaks or lunch shifts... ;)

Booth:

me! :(

Aw come on... this is a fun day!

...and it usually means free stuff and coupons too!

Come join us!

Here's the list as it currently stands and I think we are all willing to do land and/or water;

Glenn

Betty Ann & Nathan

Frenchy

Bill H

Doug M

Sal

Leslie

Kevin & Gillian

Doug Hopkins

& now Al...

Thanks everyone for helping out!

Betty,

Sorry to have to report that I can NOT be counted upon to be on the water for this event as my torn wrist cartilage is not yet healing. I may try to paddle this week to see how it goes, but needless to say having me as an "official" spotter/rescuer with a damaged wrist is not s good idea. This is NOT fun....

Thanks,

Ern

Betty,

Sorry to have to report that I can NOT be counted upon to be on the water for this event as my torn wrist cartilage is not yet healing. I may try to paddle this week to see how it goes, but needless to say having me as an "official" spotter/rescuer with a damaged wrist is not s good idea. This is NOT fun....

Thanks,

Ern

Hope it heals fast Ern. Bad time of year for an injury like that.

Thank you to all the volunteers for Saturday's event! Please check your personal email inbox and open the last email I sent for the complete details. If you did not receive anything from me, please email betty@nspn.org or call my cell @ 603-493-2098.

The important bits;

Arrival time is 10am, event is 11-3. Lunch is provided. Don't forget to bring your sunscreen and hydration - forecast is sunny and 85!

Directions:

To go directly to Sunset Lake:

From the North: Take I-93 South toward Boston. Take Exit 6 to merge onto Granite St./ MA 37 toward Braintree/Holbrook. Take slight left to follow MA 37/Franklin St. . Take a right onto Safford St. and enter Sunset Lake Parking Area.

From the West: Take I-90 East toward Boston. Take Exit 14 for I-95/MA-128. Keep left at the fork to following signs for I-95/MA-128 South. Follow signs to continue on I-93 North/US-1 North towards Boston/Braintree. Take Exit 6 to merge onto Granite St./ MA 37 toward Braintree/Holbrook. Take slight left to follow MA 37/Franklin St. . Take a right onto Safford St. and enter Sunset Lake Parking Area.

From the South: Follow I-95 North towards Boston. Take Exit 12 to merge onto I-93 North toward Boston. Take Exit 6 to merge onto Granite St./ MA 37 toward Braintree/Holbrook. Take slight left to follow MA 37/Franklin St. . Take a right onto Safford St. and enter Sunset Lake Parking Area.

From the Cape: Take MA-3 North toward Boston. Take Exit 17 for Union St. toward South Braintree/Braintree. At rotary, take 3rd exit to follow Union St. Take slight left to remain on Union St. Turn Left at Washington St. Turn Right to stay on Washington St. Turn right at Franklin St. to follow MA 37 North. Turn left onto Safford St. and enter Sunset Lake Parking Area.

http://www.rei.com/paddle

Madeleine Anne presented all 9 lbs, 15 oz of her screaming self at 3AM this morning, so Pepere has to go visit her tomorrow. My screwed-up wrist made it iffy for me anyway.

Have fun all, and keep cool!

Ern