advice for the 2008 Hard Knocks of the Year Recipient

glad

Ok. Here is an addition to the 2008 story of bad kayak karma.

In November after paddling with Leslie, I lost my cyprus 205 paddle at the Sherman Bridge in Wayland [don't ask how-it's too embarrassing-of course, what could be more embarrassing than crushing my kayak...].

One week later when I realized that the paddle was missing I put up a bunch of fancy signs offering a reward with no questions asked.

I was advised by my friends to just let it go which i did.....Until I got a call last week from a fellow who announced his name, said that he found my paddle, described it exactly [there was some distinctive tape on it from Ben Lawry's class] and said that he was sorry it was sitting around in his garage and he 'figured someone would be looking for it'.

He said he would call again...that was 7 days ago.

He left no call back number, it was a private number and I can't find his name in any of the people searches. Wayland Police say I have no recourse.

Anybody have a suggestion? Any kayak mafia connections?

Can you get his number from the phone company? I assume they have a log of the calls you receive.

Hopefully he's just away on vacation and you'll hear from him soon.

On a side note I wonder why nobody ever loses that heavy spare paddle, that leaky/torn spray skirt, or the VHF radio that no longer holds a charge.

I live in Wayland. I'm not surprised. What goes on in Wayland, stays in Wayland! On the other hand I think he will call again, otherwise why would he have called in the first place? Or, he's not from Wayland at all. A lot of people enjoy the Sudbury and Sherman Bridge is a popular put-in. If he was a kayaker or canoe paddler I would say your chances of recovery are good. A fisherman with a motor boat, not so good!

He said he would call again...that was 7 days ago.

I will bet he will call again. He probably just figures that it is winter and you don't need it anyway at this time of year.

Be patient and meet him in a public place for the return.

Suz

I will bet he will call again. He probably just figures that it is winter and you don't need it anyway at this time of year.

Be patient and meet him in a public place for the return.

Suz

Before I was a paddler, I never would have had an idea of how dear ($$) a paddle can be.

He may be a non-paddler who just hasn't thought of that.

I hope things work out.

Hopefully, you'll have no occasion for Hard Knocks award entries in 2009.

Before I was a paddler, I never would have had an idea of how dear ($$) a paddle can be.

He may be a non-paddler who just hasn't thought of that.

I hope things work out.

Hopefully, you'll have no occasion for Hard Knocks award entries in 2009.

I haven't a clue what the caller's motivation might be but after what happened to your boat I'd say you're owed some good luck. I hope you're re-united with your paddle soon.