Sea Kayaking Books

bazzert

Maybe when (if!) I have a reliable roll I might venture out in the winter months; in the meantime I am content to catch up on some reading counting down the weeks until the water temps are a little more than lethal. Here's a list of related books that I have read and would recommend. I would be really interested in what other books you have read or recommend.

thanks,

Barry.

1. Sea Kayaking Coastal Massachusetts: From Newburyport to Buzzard's Bay

2. On Celtic Tides: One Man's Journey Around Ireland by Sea Kayak by Chris Duff

3. Sea Kayaking: Rough Waters by Alex Matthews

4. Sea Kayaking: A Manual for Long-Distance Touring by John Dowd

5. Sea Kayaker's Deep Trouble: True Stories and Their Lessons from Sea Kayaker Magazine by Matt Broze

6. Sea Kayaking along the New England Coast, 2nd by Tamsin Venn

7. Quiet Water Maine, 2nd: Canoe and Kayak Guide (AMC Quiet Water Series) by Alex Wilson

8. Keep Australia On Your Left: A True Story of an Attempt to Circumnavigate Australia by Kayak by Eric Stiller

9. Kayaking the Vermilion Sea: Eight Hundred Miles Down the Baja by Jonathan Waterman

Maybe when (if!) I have a reliable roll I might venture out in the winter months; in the meantime I am content

May I suggest not being so worried about having a reliable roll. Dress well, paddle in modest conditions well within ability and with others who can get you back in your boat if something untoward happens. You can enjoy many nice paddles in winter and nothing wrong with just having a casual paddle. As Peter's recent trip reports indicate, you don't need to be up against it to have a nice day on the water. I know I would have missed some great winter paddles if I waited till I had a reliable roll. Not that I have one now and in any event everyone is between swims.

Ed Lawson

Who now stares at charts and dreams

What he said about the role and all, but Barry, I hope you will be wearing a dry suit.

I wouldnt dream of going out in this weather without one. The plan is to work on skills this summer and then consider the investment in the right gear for next year.

Barry.

Hi Barry,

I think I have a reliable roll but I still don't go out in winter paddling, until I figure out how to keep my hands warm that is! Seems minor doesn't it? However the last time I paddled at the end of November my hands were so cold they went numb and the loss of feeling almost cost a capsize. The paddle shaft just twisted in my numb index hand without my realizing and I started a stroke with the blade almost parallel to the boat. Luckily I didn't go in when the paddle started it's dive.

Hi Barry,

I think I have a reliable roll but I still don't go out in winter paddling, until I figure out how to keep my hands warm that is! Seems minor doesn't it? However the last time I paddled at the end of November my hands were so cold they went numb and the loss of feeling almost cost a capsize. The paddle shaft just twisted in my numb index hand without my realizing and I started a stroke with the blade almost parallel to the boat. Luckily I didn't go in when the paddle started it's dive.

Gene:

the answer to warm hands winter paddling is Glacier Gloves...makes sure you measure your hand per their sizing chart.....you can't go wrong....my hands have never been cold while wearing the gloves.

Barry,

( Back to sea kayaking books for a minute:)

"Kayaking the Maine Coast" by Dorcas Miller covers the whole Maine Coast, has good maps, and has a lot of info, especially launch sites.

I found Burch kind of overwhelming , with dense prose. There’s a shorter book on nav. by Ferraro that I haven’t gotten my hands on (I saw it for sale at NESC at one time , I think) , its pricey ( from UK) for its size, but from a quick perusal looks well-written and user friendly.

The Coast Pilot is a good source of local knowledge and general nautical info. You can get it at West Marine.

E.g. I was wondering about the area around Petit Manan lighthouse; it says here:

†The bar consists of ledges and boulders through which there is a channel, marked by two fairway buoys, the westernmost a bell buoy... The sea breaks along the whole length of the bar with a swell or in heavy weather... The mean range of the tide is 10.6 feet on the bar. The tidal currents set over it with considerable velocity, the flood northeastward and the ebb southwestward.â€

Information you can use!

And don’t forget the MITA guidebook: enormously improved , especially its maps, over previous editions. Good for locating MITA islands, (many of which are tiny and unnamed on charts ), in relation to their surroundings .

We would not have found Little Water Island in the Great Wass without it. It was unmarked on the charts, but the guide book had this simple description . “ It is about a half mile west /northwest of Mistake Island. A low bushy spruce on the south end identifies this small, grass-covered rocky island.†Bingo.

(I guess I prefer the “ where to go and how to get there†books over the “how to make your boat do this and that†books)

There’s a shorter book on nav. by Ferraro that I haven’t gotten my hands on (I saw it for sale at NESC at one time , I think) , its pricey ( from UK) for its size, but from a quick perusal looks well-written and user friendly.

The new edition Ferraro book can be purchased from the BCUNA website. I think that is due to it being the suggested "reference" for the new nav course. The book "Simple Kayak Navigation" by Killen is very good too. If you are really into this stuff, a surprisingly readable, but still thorough book on nav and weather is "Boater's Bowditch".

(I guess I prefer the “ where to go and how to get there†books over the “how to make your boat do this and that†books)

You can do so much planning and remembering while perusing such books which is a pleasure in itself.

Ed Lawson

Who dreams of paddling through the Petit Manan slot in 2009

Thanks Peter. Great tips. Did you know you can download the Coast Pilot from here

http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/nsd/coastpilot1.htm

Obviously there are benefits to having the printed version, but could be useful for trip planning.

I have been a member of MITA for several years, even though I have only ever paddled to one of their islands (Damariscove). It is a great guide, particularly like the new spiral bound versions.

Barry.

I love to read, here's a couple or three books you might like:

Kabloona in the Yellow Kayak by Victoria Jason

....aside from being the 1st person, woman, grandmother,to paddle through the Northwest Passage...it as deals with what to do when your paddling partner (male) turns out to be.... well basicaly nuts.

Artic Crossing by Jonathan Waterman

one man's 2,200 mile Odyssey among the Inuit

nice read, gives an idea of both good and bad of what has befallen the northern Inuit and the effect on the people and culture as best he can

and now for figuring out naviagation for those dreamed of trips next year...

Fundamentals of Kayak Navigation by David Burch

for those times you really want to hit the books and figure stuff out....

good luck..bon chance

I have had a number of books in my Sea kayaking library over the years.

Many of these publications have already been mentioned above.

What I am about to say may border on heresy :blush:

I personally do not care for Fundamentals of Kayak Navigation by David Burch.

Over the years I have heard many respected coaches tout it as the book on sea kayak navigation. That may very well have been the case 4-5 years ago, but here are now better options out there.

Burch's book is OK as a desk reference on the subject, but it is in need of some serious editing. The book is overly long, poorly organized and induces a high snooze factor. Gosh, it's a drag to read!

I would strongly recommend Simple Kayak Navigation by Ray Killen. It is any easy read that is well organized and can be used to teach one's self or others the principles of navigation. It doesn't hurt that Mr. Killen is often humorous and that he has been teaching coastal navigation to sea kayakers for years.

I will add that I churn my personal kayaking library every year or two. Simple Kayak Navigation is the only book that has remained in my library over the last four years.

You can pick it up at Amazon, if you can't find it locally. I have also heard that Ferraro's nav book is good, but with a UK sort of slant, but I have not read it myself.

Well...

IF you're into a tome that will provide you with lots of in depth info about all facets of navigation and the category I refer to as "Ocean, Winds and Weather," I suggest the bargain reference of all time:

The American Practical Navigator by Nathaniel Bowditch historically published by the Defense Mapping Agency but now by different publisher.

Its one of those books you can pick up anytime and open to any page, begin reading and learn something that likely pertains to your being on marine waters.

Enjoy, Jon

A worthwhile debate Ed but...

I don't think the kayak is a suitable platform for any but the crudest of astronomical measurements. That said,

I was always partial to 229 (until my calculator did it for me that is).

The site where Bowditch can be downloaded (see previous post) is worthwhile to explore as there are other sources of information there that are both useful and free to download.

Example: Sailing Directions for various coastal regions of the world (including the US and Canada). These Pubs are full of local information. Much of it pertains to larger vessels and the waters they are restricted to but also enough general/specific info to make becoming familiar with these pubs worthwhile to those planning expeditions.

Example: Looking to understand a bit better the ocean's circulation patterns and currents? Check out the Pilot charts. Note the polar charts and the magnetic variation lines; the distance between the physical North Pole and the magnetic pole.

I should be on the water today...

Jon

Gordon Brown's book is a really good one; but there is one major criticism -- aimed at publishers, rather than author: they have printed it in the most minute typeface! I mean really <painfully> small!

Don't turn your nose up at Derek Hutchinson's books for consolidating those basic skills: he is sound, as far as he goes. (His book on rolling is a great help for pushing on to further rolls after learning your first)

May I suggest not being so worried about having a reliable roll. Dress well, paddle in modest conditions well within ability and with others who can get you back in your boat if something untoward happens. You can enjoy many nice paddles in winter and nothing wrong with just having a casual paddle. As Peter's recent trip reports indicate, you don't need to be up against it to have a nice day on the water. I know I would have missed some great winter paddles if I waited till I had a reliable roll. Not that I have one now and in any event everyone is between swims.

Ed Lawson

Who now stares at charts and dreams

Ditto--keep working on the roll but don't let it keep you from paddling in the wintertime if you otherwise want to---Just be smart about it--

I second your recommendation for Ray's book.

I have had a number of books in my Sea kayaking library over the years.

Many of these publications have already been mentioned above.

What I am about to say may border on heresy :blush:

I personally do not care for Fundamentals of Kayak Navigation by David Burch.

Over the years I have heard many respected coaches tout it as the book on sea kayak navigation. That may very well have been the case 4-5 years ago, but here are now better options out there.

Burch's book is OK as a desk reference on the subject, but it is in need of some serious editing. The book is overly long, poorly organized and induces a high snooze factor. Gosh, it's a drag to read!

I would strongly recommend Simple Kayak Navigation by Ray Killen. It is any easy read that is well organized and can be used to teach one's self or others the principles of navigation. It doesn't hurt that Mr. Killen is often humorous and that he has been teaching coastal navigation to sea kayakers for years.

I will add that I churn my personal kayaking library every year or two. Simple Kayak Navigation is the only book that has remained in my library over the last four years.

You can pick it up at Amazon, if you can't find it locally. I have also heard that Ferraro's nav book is good, but with a UK sort of slant, but I have not read it myself.

"Deep Trouble" by George Gronseth. Read a couple of times. Skills are great. Let's not forget good judgement. Learn from others mistakes.

Maybe when (if!) I have a reliable roll I might venture out in the winter months; in the meantime I am content to catch up on some reading counting down the weeks until the water temps are a little more than lethal. Here's a list of related books that I have read and would recommend. I would be really interested in what other books you have read or recommend.

thanks,

Barry.

1. Sea Kayaking Coastal Massachusetts: From Newburyport to Buzzard's Bay

2. On Celtic Tides: One Man's Journey Around Ireland by Sea Kayak by Chris Duff

3. Sea Kayaking: Rough Waters by Alex Matthews

4. Sea Kayaking: A Manual for Long-Distance Touring by John Dowd

5. Sea Kayaker's Deep Trouble: True Stories and Their Lessons from Sea Kayaker Magazine by Matt Broze

6. Sea Kayaking along the New England Coast, 2nd by Tamsin Venn

7. Quiet Water Maine, 2nd: Canoe and Kayak Guide (AMC Quiet Water Series) by Alex Wilson

8. Keep Australia On Your Left: A True Story of an Attempt to Circumnavigate Australia by Kayak by Eric Stiller

9. Kayaking the Vermilion Sea: Eight Hundred Miles Down the Baja by Jonathan Waterman

I concur, Derek may have an attitude, but many of us have benefited from his teaching and philosophies first hand. I engaged him to teach several classes here last fall and he is still one of the best even at 75.

Don't turn your nose up at Derek Hutchinson's books for consolidating those basic skills: he is sound, as far as he goes. (His book on rolling is a great help for pushing on to further rolls after learning your first)

Since one of titles I gave got kind of dissed...

I figured I would offer up another one

"Farthest North"

by Dr Fridtjof Nansen (this is cica 1893 adventure )

This is a book of the classic era of Scott, Shackelton, Amundsen. Great explorers pushing the limits of survial & discovery .

Kind of the days of discovery or death in the trying.

It fits the Sea Kayaking Books category because Nansen does indeed live because of the skin on frame kayaks he had built. One of their biggest fears....walruses.... like the one that attacked them.

Two of Norways great explores of their time Amundsen (1st to the South Pole) and Nansen (who later won the Noble peace price among other things). Both men had separate careers and adventures but their ability to survive off the land in the middle of nowwhere and live to see another day is amazing.

the book was written near the turn of the century...not this one... the other century. It was reprinted in 1999 as part of Modern library Exploration series with an intro by Jon Krakauer

Gordon Brown's book is a really good one; but there is one major criticism -- aimed at publishers, rather than author: they have printed it in the most minute typeface! I mean really <painfully> small!

Ummm.. time for some reading glasses, Sir Godfrey? I gave in a couple of years ago. The $10 variety does fine for me.

"Farthest North"

by Dr Fridtjof Nansen (this is cica 1893 adventure )

This is a book of the classic era of Scott, Shackelton, Amundsen. Great explorers pushing the limits of survial & discovery .

Kind of the days of discovery or death in the trying.

It fits the Sea Kayaking Books category because Nansen does indeed live because of the skin on frame kayaks he had built. One of their biggest fears....

Another great book on arctic exploration is "The Arctic Grail: Quest for the Northwest Passage" the stories of various explorations in that book are riveting.

FWIW, several of the kayaks used by Nansen are kept well preserved in a museum in Norway and several replicas have recently been built and used extensively for day paddles in Maine. Apparently not as quirky as some Greenland replicas.

I need to get the Nansen book.

Ed Lawson

I concur on Nansen's Farthest North. It's quite a story.

A bit more on the background - Nansen was trying to test various theories of polar drift, and had a vessel constructed, the Fram, which was designed to get frozen into the polar icecap. He sailed it east along the northern Siberian coast and then it got frozen into the ice and began to drift toward the north pole. When it became evident that they'd miss the pole by some distance, he took off on his own with two dog teams and companions, Hjalmar Johanson toward the pole.

When it became evident they couldn't make the pole, they decided to dash for land, so they turned around and headed south, only there was no way they could find the Fram in the maze of ice. Eventually, they came on some uninhabited islands, constructed a shelter, killed a bunch of walruses, used their hides for a roof of their shelter, and spent the winter there. The next spring, they took the kayak trip further south, not knowing precisely where they were.

Indeed, walruses goring the kayaks seemed to be the biggest threat. Eventually they came upon an island that just happened to be explored by a Brit, who took them back to Norway.

OK....my PS - I don't have Paypal, so I can't pay my dues that way. Is there just an e-mail address I can send a check (or even money order to?? ) I'm trying to be a good citizen, here.