S. Georgia Expedition - SOLO - Hayley Shephard

Suz

Take a look at Hayley Shephard's website for information concerning her upcoming solo expedition to S. Georgia Island.

http://www.kayakingtosavealbatross.com/

She is heading there Jan. 25 and plans to start counter clockwise around in February. This will be the first solo try at the Island. Seems she will be doing it a little differently than the last few expeditions. She will have a support boat but is planning to camp on the island as she travels around. This will make for a longer and more dangerous trip. The Brits found the sea lions to be quite aggressive on their travels.

Suz

While I applaud her dedication on behalf of the Wandering albatross, she is a teacher, is she? Then you might think she'd proof-read her website -- Africa and the Middle East are now countries, are they? Hmmm...little wonder our education is going downhill.

While I applaud her dedication on behalf of the Wandering albatross, she is a teacher, is she? Then you might think she'd proof-read her website -- Africa and the Middle East are now countries, are they? Hmmm...little wonder our education is going downhill.

Sir Christopher,

You missed the possessive "it's" on the first page :blink:;)

It does look like a very cool trip.

Oh, for God's sake! ;)

I have a tremendous admiration for people who pull off a life of incredible adventures. Will be fun to check her progress on her web-site, even if she spells a word wrong now and then. :P

Gay

Oh, for God's sake! ;)

I have a tremendous admiration for people who pull off a life of incredible adventures. Will be fun to check her progress on her web-site, even if she spells a word wrong now and then. :P

Gay

I am with you on this one Gay!

The way Christopher picks apart posts, I am sure it discourages some people from posting. Not me though - I know he is harmless. :rolleyes:

It is certainly not a trip that I would ever want to consider alone.

Suz

Not sure what the rules of the game are for a solo navigation as they relate to the support vessel. Can someone enlighten me? Suppose, and it sounds likely, that she doesn't find a hospitable landing spot to camp. Is a night or 2 on the support vessel allowed? I'm not trying to invalidate her monumental effort-just trying to understand what the phrase "world's-first" and "alone" might mean should she pull it off.

Gary

Not sure what the rules of the game are for a solo navigation as they relate to the support vessel. Can someone enlighten me? Suppose, and it sounds likely, that she doesn't find a hospitable landing spot to camp. Is a night or 2 on the support vessel allowed? I'm not trying to invalidate her monumental effort-just trying to understand what the phrase "world's-first" and "alone" might mean should she pull it off.

Gary

When the last two teams went to round S. Georgia, the British team, Bray, Allen, Feldman and Dennis slept on the support vehicle most of the trip around. They found the campsites fairly inhospitable due to the sea lions and other creatures. It was actually what they missed and made this trip not feel like an expedition.

I would imagine that Hayley will make use of her support vehicle and stay on the support vessel as needed. In addition to the sea lions, penguins make their home there too. I think just finding space in the pocket beaches is very difficult.

For more on their trip: http://www.seakayakingcornwall.com/jeff-al...outhGeorgia.pdf

I think regardless of where you sleep at night, when the winds begin and you are on the water, you won't make it to your support boat or land and it is just you, on the water.

Suz

• 1 year later...
When the last two teams went to round S. Georgia, the British team, Bray, Allen, Feldman and Dennis slept on the support vehicle most of the trip around. They found the campsites fairly inhospitable due to the sea lions and other creatures. It was actually what they missed and made this trip not feel like an expedition.

I would imagine that Hayley will make use of her support vehicle and stay on the support vessel as needed. In addition to the sea lions, penguins make their home there too. I think just finding space in the pocket beaches is very difficult.

For more on their trip: http://www.seakayakingcornwall.com/jeff-al...outhGeorgia.pdf

I think regardless of where you sleep at night, when the winds begin and you are on the water, you won't make it to your support boat or land and it is just you, on the water.

Suz

Hayley will NOT be sleeping on her support vessel unless it is absolutly nessesary. She is the kind of girl who thrives on the experience. Unlike many expeditions where paddlers are sleeping on vessels all warm and cozy drinking beer and eating steak.

I am with you on this one Gay!

The way Christopher picks apart posts, I am sure it discourages some people from posting. Not me though - I know he is harmless. :rolleyes:

It is certainly not a trip that I would ever want to consider alone.

Suz

Hey Gary is it? Hayley will not be utilizing the support vessel for sleeping. It is strictly being used for more detailed weather reports, food caches, and heaven forbid, search and rescue. There will be the odd rendezvous to swap out equipment (ie when her external hard drive is full with video footage) Other than that, the vessel will be several hours away. This will truly be a solo expedition.

In Hayleys defence, when planning an expedition this big, proof-reading is NOT a major priority when you have hundreds of more important things to tackle. I sense in you a bit of jealousy i think.

It is my understanding that the local government requires a support vessel to be attending any trip such as this. This has to be set up and documented appropriately before a visa will be provided. You can't do this trip on the cheap even if you wanted to.

Jon

To get a feeling/understanding of what South Georgia and surrounding waters are like, the books about Shackleton's voyage to and crossing of South Georgia provide great reading. Consider 800 miles in a 22' boat and hitting your mark with only 4 sextant shots in less than ideal conditions. Amazing story of seamanship and more.

Recently a group of adventurers with all the modern gear and a support ship tried to duplicate the trip and failed. As in they were pummeled to the point of having to give up and be taken aboard the support ship. So having support does not assure success and increases the safety margin, but it still remains thin.

Ed Lawson