Hydration Packs ?

bazzert

there are specific kayaking ones...

there are ones that are specific to attach to the front/rear deck....racers pucnh a hole in their boat and have their hydration system inside the boat with a long tube....lots of options...

i used to use a Lotus Designs EFT pack.....some info here (even thought they are out of them-as is every shop!)

then got a kokatat pfd and switched over to their tributary system....

the Lotus EFT fits pretty much ANY pfd well....and if you want it i can sell it to ya...no bladder (cuz i licked mine) but the bag itself is good to go! their mango/salsa color...that which is in the pic above....

drop a line backside if you are interested....

rob

there are specific kayaking ones...

there are ones that are specific to attach to the front/rear deck....racers pucnh a hole in their boat and have their hydration system inside the boat with a long tube....lots of options...

i used to use a Lotus Designs EFT pack.....some info here (even thought they are out of them-as is every shop!)

then got a kokatat pfd and switched over to their tributary system....

the Lotus EFT fits pretty much ANY pfd well....and if you want it i can sell it to ya...no bladder (cuz i licked mine) but the bag itself is good to go! their mango/salsa color...that which is in the pic above....

drop a line backside if you are interested....

rob

I use the Lotus pack that Rob listed the link to. I've used it on a couple of different pfd's and it works well for me.

Looking for recommendations for a hydration pack. I am guessing the simpler the better ? Are certain packs unsuitable for kayaking ?

thanks,

Barry.

I have a Kokotat that straps onto the back of my PFD, which works fine for me. It might make me a little top heavy when it is full, but it is barely noticible. If it became a problem, I just wouldn't fill it all the way. The bag seals with a zip lock, which didn't seem as secure as my Camelback which screws shut, but it hasn't leaked on me yet.

I also have a Kokatat system that I've been using for a year. Never had any problems with it at all. Lays flat and is secured well on Kokatat vests. Has a flat zip-loc bladder rather than other bulbous ones I've seen.

Doug

I have the Kokatat Tributary as well. Fits great on my Kokatat PFD. One of the things I like about it is the large ziplock opening. It makes it real easy to fill it with ice cubes. However, I have heard that the new ones no longer have the ziplock opening and now use the standard round cap type.

There are various solutions...I at one point had some sort of pocket I rigged to the back of a Lotus PFD and that worked fine. When I changed to a Kokatat PFD, I got the attendant tributary system and that works fine too.

The only thing I think you might want to be sure of is that it's stable on your back and not moving around too too much. Might only be an inconvenience or more than just an inconvenience depending.

I use and the Platypus Kayak Hydrator as it can be clipped on your deck bunjies or used as a backpack clipped to your PFD. In a pinch you can unattach it and it has straps to become a stand alone hydration pack.

http://www.wetdawg.com/pages/touring/hydra...ks/index_sk.php

However I replaced the press lock bladder with a Nalgene TPE Big Bore Tanker bladder with swivel clip connector and magnetic mount. It works great having the bite valve with a magnet to attach to the Kayak Hydrator strap

http://www.nalgene-outdoor.com/store/detail.aspx?ID=1031

I keep the kayak hydrator on my front deck with magnetic bite valve fastened and let the extra hose drop in the water to keep each sip a cool drink of water. The hydrator bag makes a great place to stash an energy bar or 2 as well.

Neil

post-100290-1220642280_thumb.jpg

My preference is for a clear deck. Chart...contact tow...single split stowed forward. That's about it.

For me, everything else is just a nuisance and might not be there anyways if I'm lucky enough to find something to play in.

I did recently see that magnetic clip your talking about though...that's pretty slick.

My preference is for a clear deck. Chart...contact tow...single split stowed forward. That's about it.

For me, everything else is just a nuisance and might not be there anyways if I'm lucky enough to find something to play in.

I did recently see that magnetic clip your talking about though...that's pretty slick.

I use a platypus, old style 70 oz.. It comes w/ straps so you can attach it to the back of your PFD. It takes alittle work to get it tightly secured to your PFD so that it doesn't move, but can be done. It has no external straps or bungies, less chance of entanglement. I find w/ their Big Zip bags that the zip lock eventually will not close even though it is clean & undamage. It does have a life time warreny & I have had the bladders replaced, no problem. Last one I bought was $30. Their is also enough room inside the bag for my cow tow with one end clipped to my PFD shoulder strap. I bought a Kokatat ($75) about 2 years ago & the supplied bladder was to big for the bag. I returned it. I'm also for clean deck, no water bladder there.

I guess the clean front deck and a deck with some gear will always be a personal choice. I certainly wouldn't want to punch through surf with gear on the front deck however I do like the low profile of the Platypus Kayak Hydrator and when it's clipped in and also under the bunjies it's very secure. It can also be moved to your PFD back in a pinch or when you need to have it there instead. The force of the bunjies on the deck actually helps with giving pressure on the bladder and makes for good to the last drop emptying. - Neil