BCU * 3 Training Peter Casson, Recommendation ?

sidcohen

I'm thinking of trying to do a last minute registration for Peter Casson's BCU *3 two day training course and 1 day assessment at the Maine Sea Kayak Symposium this weekend. It's probably to late to take the class and assessment but can anybody recommend Peter an instructor. I'm waiting for the Symposium registration people to return my inquiry.

It is fine to respond by personal message.

Also, I was hoping to take the training and assessment this summer with John Carmody in the Boothbay area but weekends are usually a bad time for me to take formal training. If I can get 3 other people that want to take the training on weekdays I think John could set something up for us. I think John is probably booked for the weekends at this point even if I could swing a weekend this fall.

Sid

I'm thinking of trying to do a last minute registration for Peter Casson's BCU *3 two day training course and 1 day assessment at the Maine Sea Kayak Symposium this weekend. It's probably to late to take the class

According to their website, those classes are still open. I'd just call Mark as opposed to waiting on e-mail. He is good about returning calls.

Also, I was hoping to take the training and assessment this summer with John Carmody in the Boothbay area but weekends are usually a bad time for me to take formal training. If I can get 3 other people that want to take the training on weekdays I think John could set something up for us. I think John is probably booked for the weekends at this point even if I could swing a weekend this fall.

I'd give him a call too. John is very good about returning calls and being responsive/helpful setting up private sessions. The Sea Cliff website indicates he is busy through Oct on weekends.

Ed Lawson

I'm thinking of trying to do a last minute registration for Peter Casson's BCU *3 two day training course and 1 day assessment at the Maine Sea Kayak Symposium this weekend. It's probably to late to take the class and assessment but can anybody recommend Peter an instructor. I'm waiting for the Symposium registration people to return my inquiry.

Sid

I recommend Peter very highly as a coach, having worked with him since I first started drinking the BCU Kool-Aid.

I don't know if you're aware of this, but the 3* is now a moving water training/assessment, the equivalent of the "old" 4* but in milder conditions (Force 2 seas/wind). The "old" 3*, which many of us have done, was on flat water. and included paddling backwards in a Figure of 8, the bete noir of many a paddler. While a lot depends on the coach and I don't know how Mark may have presented it to you, you may very well be asked to do a series of strokes in the 2* (which is similar to the "old" 3*, only NO BACKWARDS FIGURE OF 8 -- that is gone) syllabus. Just giving you some warning. The BCU has gotten a little tougher about letting people "skip" assessments as they had in the past. I do know that you definitely need 3* in order to assess for the "new" 4*, although those who already have the 3* award can do 4* without having to do the new 3*. Again, I'm not sure what you've been told, but this is pretty much the story I've gotten. I also realize it's very confusing, so you might want to mosey on over to the BCU website: www.bcuna.org, and take a look at that.

As for the "new" 4*: it's definitely now more of a leadership award and bridges what was once a fairly large gap between 4* and 5*.

You can also PM me if you want.

As for John Carmody -- he's a pretty fine coach and person, too :D

Deb M :roll:

:surf:

I recommend Peter very highly as a coach, having worked with him since I first started drinking the BCU Kool-Aid.

I don't know if you're aware of this, but the 3* is now a moving water training/assessment, the equivalent of the "old" 4* but in milder conditions (Force 2 seas/wind). The "old" 3*, which many of us have done, was on flat water. and included paddling backwards in a Figure of 8, the bete noir of many a paddler. While a lot depends on the coach and I don't know how Mark may have presented it to you, you may very well be asked to do a series of strokes in the 2* (which is similar to the "old" 3*, only NO BACKWARDS FIGURE OF 8 -- that is gone) syllabus. Just giving you some warning. The BCU has gotten a little tougher about letting people "skip" assessments as they had in the past. I do know that you definitely need 3* in order to assess for the "new" 4*, although those who already have the 3* award can do 4* without having to do the new 3*. Again, I'm not sure what you've been told, but this is pretty much the story I've gotten. I also realize it's very confusing, so you might want to mosey on over to the BCU website: www.bcuna.org, and take a look at that.

As for the "new" 4*: it's definitely now more of a leadership award and bridges what was once a fairly large gap between 4* and 5*.

You can also PM me if you want.

As for John Carmody -- he's a pretty fine coach and person, too :D

Deb M :roll:

:surf:

Sid,

Deb is right

Do the 2* training and assessment first.

The 3* will be a natural progression and feel right once you go through the 2*

Deb is right

Do the 2* training and assessment first.

The 3* will be a natural progression and feel right once you go through the 2*

Would it also be fair to say the purpose of doing a * whatever training is to expose someone to various skills which then should to practiced to the point they are more or less instinctively implemented while doing "real" paddles before going for assessment? So doing an assessment, even if you could pass, within a day of training makes no sense in terms of development as a paddler. Might make sense as a badge collector.

Ed Lawson

Would it also be fair to say the purpose of doing a * whatever training is to expose someone to various skills which then should to practiced to the point they are more or less instinctively implemented while doing "real" paddles before going for assessment? So doing an assessment, even if you could pass, within a day of training makes no sense in terms of development as a paddler. Might make sense as a badge collector.

Ed Lawson

Agreed, Ed. It's usually recommended to do a training first, go out and practice the skills in the appropriate environment until you're comfortable, and then assess. An exception would be if you'd had enough butt in boat time in the particular area you'd be assessing in -- say, you'd paddled in gently rough water for a good bit of time, been a competent member of a group, meaning you can rescue someone, have a roll for 3* and met the other criteria (like being able to at least know which way to place a compass on a chart and also read the chart) -- then the training followed by the assessment would probably work out for you, although no doubt somewhere alone the line you probably would have done a training or two so you'd know what to expect. Just because the "new" 3* is on moving water rather than flat doesn't mean the assessor isn't going to expect that you know how and when to do a certain stroke in certain conditions, strokes you might have really worked on in the "old" 3* or the new 2*.

In other words, it is, indeed, about the skills and using those skills in real conditions, and not the badge. Which is why butt time in a boat is always more valuable than a training alone. I believe I've said it here before that paddling is what you want it to be, but there should be respect for how a person reaches their goals. I happen to have found that BCU trainings and assessments work for me; they may not for someone else. It's not a matter of right and wrong, or being "brainwashed by the Brits".

Deb M :surf::roll:

umm...well i cannot speak to the bcu stuff...

but Peter as a coach....he is a fun coach...very fair and true....i had never taken any course until i took my aca instructor classes....peter knew this and used this to my (and his) advantage since i was a blank slate before this....

during our month wait for the ICE he made certain that he was accessible for tips and hints for all of us as well....

would def. do another course with him....

r

Sid

peter is an excellent coach. direct. perceptive. john is about the kindest person ever and also a dandy coach.

personally, i am not a fan of assessing at symposia overall but in any event would not recommend taking the training and assessment back to back.

if the information is new or if the techniques are just being learned, it's more about integrating that into your paddling than about being able to regurgitate it the following day.

the remit though is for "that day" so eh...well within the guidelines i suppose.

if you go, have a great time!

I've had three or four sessions with Peter (two of them shared with John C.).

I highly recommend him as an instructor - he keeps it fun, and is thoughtful.

I agree that you don't want to do a course and assessment back-to-back. Give yourself some time to practice up the skills you learn during the course before you assess.