Fleece poncho

kevinfre

Here's a gear question: A couple of weeks ago at the Odiorne paddle I noticed someone changing clothes while wearing what looked like a full-length fleece poncho. It struck me as a very handy thing to have - you can change clothes without having to find a bathroom. I meant to introduce myself to whoever it was, but I got distracted carrying boats. By the time I was done everyone was changed and I didn't know who to look for.

So does anyone know where I can buy such a thing? I've Googled several variations on "fleece poncho" with no luck.

Thanks,

Kevin Fredette

It was probably Suz. She made that herself out of windblock polar fleece. She says they are very easy to make. Of course she has sewing skills that I do not have. I am sure she will chime in here with some advice.

Its very easy to make this sort of thing. You can purchase a fleece blanket of sufficient size, fold it in half, and sow down the sides to make a pouch (don't forget not to to go all the way to the corners so you have arm holes). Then you need to cut a hole in the middle for your head (or you'll just look silly) and hem the hole to prevent breakdown of the material. This comes to alot of stiches and is more easily done on a machine though machines can be challenging when dealing with large pieces of material and thick, compressible material (which the blanket is both of). We purchased (cotton) terry and made a cotton version and find it more absorbent than fleece. The fleece, which can also be clingy when wet, would be more useful for a multi-day trip due to its ability to shed water and otherwise remain functional where cotton fails.

It was definately Suz.... Also, a very clever Brian W. showed me at a skills session recently that if you happen to have aquired a storm cag (sp?) you can use it the same way... not quite as long, but adequate for changing without flashing your put-in neighbor... ;)

nice to have multiple purpose equipment, too!

Thanks for the responses so far. And for the record, it was a guy that I saw using one of these at Odiorne.

Kevin

mighta been me...over by doug's white jeep...blue changing robe.

in any event i cadged both of mine from suzy q....better than flashing the world at large.

not being sew (get it? yuck, yuck) handy myself, left to my own devices i might go with a really cheap sheet from wally world and a pair of scissors....loads of coverage so that you don't end up waggling bits to the wind.

I think Liz N made one out of a sheet, cheaper than fleece but not as warm. The sheet robe might be nicer during the summer months.

I too have a homemade fleece robe, mine is rather heavy and large but oh so warm and durable.

Google kayak changing robe. you'll find several different models.

An oversized bath robe might work and it'll be cheap.

left to my own devices i might go with a really cheap sheet from wally world and a pair of scissors....loads of coverage so that you don't end up waggling bits to the wind.

ahhh, the high fashion of kayaking!!!!!!!!! sometimes i have to remind myself i'm in public when changing - after a few years of kayaking you get so used to seeing your fellow kayakers in their skivvys you forget the rest of the world might see this as something inappropriate :)

Here's a gear question: A couple of weeks ago at the Odiorne paddle I noticed someone changing clothes while wearing what looked like a full-length fleece poncho. It struck me as a very handy thing to have - you can change clothes without having to find a bathroom. I meant to introduce myself to whoever it was, but I got distracted carrying boats. By the time I was done everyone was changed and I didn't know who to look for.

So does anyone know where I can buy such a thing? I've Googled several variations on "fleece poncho" with no luck.

Thanks,

Kevin Fredette

I'm not exactly Betsy Ross, but I made changing robes for us last fall. I got the idea for the pattern by looking for a "Jedi Robe" on the 'net, then went to Fabric Place and bought fleece from the remnant table. Basically all it is a T shape, narrower at the top and wider at the bottom. Make sure you make it roomy and long enough, then sew up the sleeves and sides and you've got it. The hardest part was attaching the hood, which is nice to have on a cold day, especially if you're cultivating that Obi Wan Look.

A cag works well too, especially in summer when it's hot.

Deb M

What a great idea!

I had a strange specialty item I had made for myself, and I don't have the sewing skills for sure. I wanted a winter camoflage suit - basically made out of white ripstop nylon. I purchased the material and went to a tailor with examples of what I wanted made, and she made me the suit.

If you don't have the sewing skills, you could maybe go a similar route and hire a tailor, and get the material on your own. (thinking I might want to do this myself!)

I really recommend the Polar Fleece with the windblock in it. On those windy cooler or winter days, it makes a huge difference.

Definitely get the windblock. It's worth the extra money. If you can't find it, then get the heaviest weight fleece fabric you can. The lighter stuff just doesn't work as well.

Deb M

i got mine from http://www.Lynnsstuff.com

mine was the first "commerical/production" one and i paid like 30$ for it...

not a windblock one but it works very well since it is a heavier fleece.....

a nice thing is the hood for just sitting around...as is having two pockets! (one inner and one outer) the inner one is great for the first layer that you put on after being wet.......

i have taken mine out to use in the parking lot to change and then everyone on the trip has then asked if they could use it too.......

btw: works great as a lightweight sleeping bag too!

r

anybody else getting the visual picture of strange jawa-cult groupings being sited at area beaches in the near future? :P

P.S....You've all convinced me, I may be breaking out the sewing machine soon... hope it still works!

It was probably Suz. She made that herself out of windblock polar fleece. She says they are very easy to make. Of course she has sewing skills that I do not have. I am sure she will chime in here with some advice.

Sorry not to have chimed in earlier - but I was out of town on a BCU course.

The changing fleece's or Cozy Caftans or Mu Mu's are quite nice to change under and are very easy to make. I have looked at other designs and much prefer ones without sleeves for the ease of getting dressed underneath. This week I used mine to change in/out of kayaking clothes but in addition, the light fleece sleeping bag I brought was a wee bit cold at night so I just put my Cozy Caftan on top and was very comfortable.

I much prefer making it out of a windbloc fleece - more expensive but worthwhile for all seasons other than summer. Originally I was looking for a source of microfiber toweling but the product is very expensive and not available in wide widths. The best fabric to use is fleece as it doesn't get wet and stay wet unlike toweling. A wet towel stays wet in the car for a long time! The fleece is dry before you get home.

Directions to make are simple - buy wide width fleece double your height and subtract about 20". Fold it over and then sew from the open end upwards just higher than where your waist is. Across the top, just cut a slit and then curve it slightly. That is the basics. I always added a hood and sometimes added a wide pocket across the front. The pocket is useful to put your undies in for changing into and also to warm up your hands.

Many a winter paddle I would wear this home in the car until I warmed up. In the winter, the drysuit comes off and this goes on top. Other times of year, use to get undressed and then air dry a few minutes and you are good to get dressed - no towel necessary.

The material is expensive and they make a bit of a mess in the house when sewing. I stopped making them when I was building the last house as I didn't have anywhere to work without getting the fleece fuzz all over.

In the past I would buy the material from Malden Mills by the bolt to make these and only then was it worthwhile to make them and sell them. Otherwise not enough profit.

Suz