how to....

rick stoehrer

july 13, pavillion beach we'll meet at 0830 and review HOW TO....conduct a beach briefing.

what are we talking about in a beach briefing, what's the purpose? how do we do that under cam? how do we all get on the water in an ocean enviroment with a buncha folks we might not know and whom we've never seen on the water? what could we be doing to help one another?

on the water what could/would/should we be doing? how do we handle the whole cam "we're all equals here" thing and still maintain the safety of a group of paddlers? how do you "lead" under a model that says leadership is fluid?

it's going to be as much a learning experience for me as anyone else given my limited experience under this model....all i know is how i'd do it...maybe you have something different, better. come and share and show me.

hope to see you there.

july 13, pavillion beach we'll meet at 0830 and review HOW TO....conduct a beach briefing.

hope to see you there.

Where might you paddle and what might you do after the shore stuff?

Would like to be there but have a paddle on Casco Sat so depends on recovery, time, spouse, all the usual impediments.

Ed Lawson

Where might you paddle and what might you do after the shore stuff?

Would like to be there but have a paddle on Casco Sat so depends on recovery, time, spouse, all the usual impediments.

Ed Lawson

oh hell ya there's paddling! can't be that close to salt water and not get on/in...i'd have an aneurysm or something!

the whole on the beach thing will take as long as it takes...the idea is to identify, talk about and review what's going on, where we're at, where we're going.....so we'll go over all the beachy group things beforehand and THEN get out onto the water and see what's shaking and then go there. in that time what we can try to do is identify the risks we're facing and do all the things we talked about on the beach. a soup to nuts how to on the how we might do this whole cam thing.

if you guys wanna do that out of odiorne that's fine with me too...if it's a flat calm day, odiorne would offer more challenges in regards to risks/challenges.

oh hell ya there's paddling! can't be that close to salt water and not get on/in...i'd have an aneurysm or something!

the whole on the beach thing will take as long as it takes...the idea is to identify, talk about and review what's going on, where we're at, where we're going.....so we'll go over all the beachy group things beforehand and THEN get out onto the water and see what's shaking and then go there. in that time what we can try to do is identify the risks we're facing and do all the things we talked about on the beach. a soup to nuts how to on the how we might do this whole cam thing.

if you guys wanna do that out of odiorne that's fine with me too...if it's a flat calm day, odiorne would offer more challenges in regards to risks/challenges.

sounds good to me! we can play with route and timing closer to the date . . . i haven't checked the tides, but a gerrish circumnav. might be fun too . . . pppo afterwards???

sounds good to me! we can play with route and timing closer to the date . . . i haven't checked the tides, but a gerrish circumnav. might be fun too . . . pppo afterwards???

pppo afterwards is good...i wonder though if a gerrish circumnav might be too many miles for some? i'd like to get as many (EVERYONE) there regardless of experience/skill level and then we flesh out the plan from there....that way we have real application of what we might end up doing in a beach briefing.....you go in with a plan but then that may have to change on the beach or on the water...and you thought the leadership was fluid! given the day/who shows up, the trip might/should alter substantially!

circumnav would be great IF that's what everyone is capable of on that day but if not, then it becomes something else and that's great too! it's a day on the water! lets just get folks there at 0830 and then we sort it out from there.

pppo afterwards is good...i wonder though if a gerrish circumnav might be too many miles for some? i'd like to get as many (EVERYONE) there regardless of experience/skill level and then we flesh out the plan from there....that way we have real application of what we might end up doing in a beach briefing.....you go in with a plan but then that may have to change on the beach or on the water...and you thought the leadership was fluid! given the day/who shows up, the trip might/should alter substantially!

circumnav would be great IF that's what everyone is capable of on that day but if not, then it becomes something else and that's great too! it's a day on the water! lets just get folks there at 0830 and then we sort it out from there.

good point - agreed, lets get all skill levels out so ordione or pavillion would be great . . we could even do a tucks launch and go around misery . . .

For reasons best left unsaid, but related to the close proximity of the words "spouse" and "impediment", I am in the market for some little chocolate kayaks. Anyone know where they might be purchased?

To further brainstorm the 13th activities, what about this modest proposal:

While things are weather and attendees dependent and this might require a weekend or two, I suggest the on the beach segment be expanded just a tad and the on water time be used to provide exposure to some general seamanship stuff to give new members and old ones too an overall experience to provide the foundations for them to evaluate trips and conditions so they will feel more confident and willing to go on "regular" coastal paddles. Something to augment all the paddling skills work to help "round out" overall paddling skills.

For example, instead of going around Gerrish, go up to Little Harbor and then back down the coast. Start with a short session pointing out things on the chart so folks have a context in which to place what they encounter. With the change in the tide, that segment of the coast is quite different so folks could see how tide levels and typography can alter the conditions found since they will be going up near high tide and back at low tide. Going in and out of Little Harbor can provide some experience with surf, crossing over at Portsmouth harbor might provide a little experience with boat/ship traffic and dealing with currents and maybe some modest rips between Wood Island and Fort Foster. Lots of variety so folks would get a little taste of many things.

We can all, boy do I need the practice, work on boat control by paddling close and chatting about these things as we encounter them along the way. Not instruction as such, but just a few pointers along the way as to what and why. Make a decent day of around 10KM with stops to talk, observe, and eat. For example, sit on the east beach near Fort Foster

to watch ledge breaks and potential paths through the rocks change with the tide and contemplate how to wind through. Then go out and see what it looks like from the boat. Should be be relaxed enough for most anyone to do and productive.

Something to think about?

Ed Lawson

For reasons best left unsaid, but related to the close proximity of the words "spouse" and "impediment", I am in the market for some little chocolate kayaks. Anyone know where they might be purchased?

To further brainstorm the 13th activities, what about this modest proposal:

While things are weather and attendees dependent and this might require a weekend or two, I suggest the on the beach segment be expanded just a tad and the on water time be used to provide exposure to some general seamanship stuff to give new members and old ones too an overall experience to provide the foundations for them to evaluate trips and conditions so they will feel more confident and willing to go on "regular" coastal paddles. Something to augment all the paddling skills work to help "round out" overall paddling skills.

For example, instead of going around Gerrish, go up to Little Harbor and then back down the coast. Start with a short session pointing out things on the chart so folks have a context in which to place what they encounter. With the change in the tide, that segment of the coast is quite different so folks could see how tide levels and typography can alter the conditions found since they will be going up near high tide and back at low tide. Going in and out of Little Harbor can provide some experience with surf, crossing over at Portsmouth harbor might provide a little experience with boat/ship traffic and dealing with currents and maybe some modest rips between Wood Island and Fort Foster. Lots of variety so folks would get a little taste of many things.

We can all, boy do I need the practice, work on boat control by paddling close and chatting about these things as we encounter them along the way. Not instruction as such, but just a few pointers along the way as to what and why. Make a decent day of around 10KM with stops to talk, observe, and eat. For example, sit on the east beach near Fort Foster

to watch ledge breaks and potential paths through the rocks change with the tide and contemplate how to wind through. Then go out and see what it looks like from the boat. Should be be relaxed enough for most anyone to do and productive.

Something to think about?

Ed Lawson

different options/challenge/opportunities is why i sorta changed my mind to odiorne there half way through...i think you're right - it'd offer more.

i don't want to commit to any particular journey though....i think we should do as much as we reasonably can on that day....we'll push as we can but ideally i'd like to cater it so that few feel that the day is going to be beyond them...and we'll sort it all out on the beach. but i like you're idea.

again, if i were looking at this trip and didn't know if it was for me or if it was too ambitious....remember, the goal is to be inclusive and then scale the trip on the beach so that everyone can participate.

if it were me, the minimum i'd bring would be a good attitude, sea kayak, paddle, pfd, skirt, tow belt (on, not in a hatch), paddle float, hypo kit and a little bit to eat/drink but it's a cam and i'm not telling you what to do...just what you're liable to need.

we'll all no doubt chat this up on the board and certainly we'll talk about the forecast on the day/2 before the paddle so that those without a familiarity can get more accustomed to seeing that information and trying to sort out what that means to their paddling....maybe we can get that weather egg whiz to give a layman's quick and dirty explanation on the day/2 before?

Ed Lawson

Seems to me Gail ought to have her choice of chocolate thingies. She is in easy walking distance of Granite State Chocolate, Mr. Moose something, and Bread and Chocolate. A blank check should START to make things right.

Harbor Sweets in Salem, MA has Sailboats and other nautical chocolates, no kayaks though. They will make anything custom if you want to break out the credit card :)

http://www.harborsweets.com/classics.html

Seems to me Gail ought to have her choice of chocolate thingies. She is in easy walking distance of Granite State Chocolate, Mr. Moose something, and Bread and Chocolate. A blank check should START to make things right.

what i perceive to be the crux of it isn't that the wife gets her choice; a-duh. of course the wife get her choice. no, what the wife wants is for the HUSBAND to know her so well that HE knows what she wants. he has to know her...to relate to her feelings and wants and then do that...if he asks then he doesn't know her and THEN...oh, then there just ain't enough chocolate.

ever see "white men can't jump"...back before wesley was getting fitted for an orange onesie? rosie perez doesn't want woody harrelson to get her a glass of water and "fix it" when she says she is thirsty....she wants him to know how that feels...to relate to the condition. she is perfectly capable of "fixing" the problem herself!

see? no advice can help ed now.

you have to know who you can save and stay outta the way of the ones you can't...they'll take you down, man! :haha:

ever see "white men can't jump"...back before wesley was getting fitted for an orange onesie? rosie perez doesn't want woody harrelson to get her a glass of water and "fix it" when she says she is thirsty....she wants him to know how that feels...to relate to the condition. she is perfectly capable of "fixing" the problem herself!

ha! i wanted to slap the heck out of rosie perez for that scene! us ladies should be so lucky to have someone willingly get up and get us a glass of water!!!!! :)

speaking for myself, i'm all about stating what i'd like, so if it's cholocate kayaks, it's honey can you please find me a chocolate kayak? (eyelashes batting and slight pout) - interestingly enough this also works for real kayaks as well!!!!!

blank check trumps everything though.

;)

Ed Lawson

Ed - you are done for... you think chocolate can fix that you are crazy... I am thinking more along the lines of a gear purchase:)

As for all the other good ideas -

First let me say kudos to Rick for instigating this.

Suggestion - general message board posts for each of the main parts of what goes into the different aspects of a trip> This will get people thinking prior to showing up at the beach.

trip planning- how to research the area, tides, current. What to consider when planning, watching the weather. Understanding when to abort the trip...

beach briefing- things to cover

On water logistics - how to paddle as a group, communication, how to spot danger spots from the chart, what to look for on the water... how to spot a tired or nervous paddlers in the group.

And last but not least - writing the trip report:)

Suz

Harbor Sweets in Salem, MA has Sailboats and other nautical chocolates, no kayaks though. They will make anything custom if you want to break out the credit card :)

http://www.harborsweets.com/classics.html

There's always salt water taffy for your significant "old salt" too... ;)

for your significant "old salt" too... ;)

Are you trying to get me killed? Refer to as "old salt"?

We are already beyond gear...the word jewelry has been uttered.

And I thought the storm cag would generate some credits..oh no...does not work that way.

Ed Lawson

Are you trying to get me killed? Refer to as "old salt"?

We are already beyond gear...the word jewelry has been uttered.

And I thought the storm cag would generate some credits..oh no...does not work that way.

Ed Lawson

Ed,

We need to stop talking about this...you're giving Gillian all kind of ideas! :headBang:;)

Ed - you are done for... you think chocolate can fix that you are crazy... I am thinking more along the lines of a gear purchase:)

As for all the other good ideas -

First let me say kudos to Rick for instigating this.

Suggestion - general message board posts for each of the main parts of what goes into the different aspects of a trip> This will get people thinking prior to showing up at the beach.

trip planning- how to research the area, tides, current. What to consider when planning, watching the weather. Understanding when to abort the trip...

beach briefing- things to cover

On water logistics - how to paddle as a group, communication, how to spot danger spots from the chart, what to look for on the water... how to spot a tired or nervous paddlers in the group.

And last but not least - writing the trip report:)

Suz

i am nothing if not an instigator.... :rolleyes:

i've already got the irons in the fire on all the rest of it. what i'd like to do is go through all this as we get closer to the date.

if you're around that weekend, come, help! i haven't paddled with you in a long time, it'd be great to see you and the mad dutchman!

QUOTE(Kevin B @ Jul 1 2008, 01:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We need to stop talking about this...you're giving Gillian all kind of ideas! :headBang:;)

You are right. Here...please take the shovel.

Ed Lawson

i'd like to get as many (EVERYONE) there regardless of experience/skill level and then we flesh out the plan from there....

Set up a spiffy new banner ad for ya to help attract as many as possible! (Starring none other than our fabulous Gillian!!! G- your photogenic likeness keeps coming in handy! ;))Thanks for initiating this! Sounds like a great opportunity for all skill levels!

QUOTE(Kevin B @ Jul 1 2008, 01:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ed,

I've earmarked the Tiffany's Catalog and the VCP Catalog at home for you - take your pick :)

i am nothing if not an instigator.... :rolleyes:

i've already got the irons in the fire on all the rest of it. what i'd like to do is go through all this as we get closer to the date.

if you're around that weekend, come, help! i haven't paddled with you in a long time, it'd be great to see you and the mad dutchman!

The Dutchman will be away that weekend and I just may or might go off camping/paddling for the whole weekend. There have been too many working weekends of late and I think I might just need some time under the stars:)

If my camping thingie doesn't work out then I may just come on the 13th.

Suz

Set up a spiffy new banner ad for ya to help attract as many as possible! (Starring none other than our fabulous Gillian!!! G- your photogenic likeness keeps coming in handy! ;))Thanks for initiating this! Sounds like a great opportunity for all skill levels!

Unless I'm mistaken I think the location was changed to Odiorne somewhere along the thread.