Acadia

gyork

Anybody aware if either the Seawall or Black woods campground are accessible from the ocean (kayak)?

Gary

Hey Gary,

I have camped at Black Woods and it is definitely not accessible by boat. There is a steep rocky cliff & the park road separating the ocean from the campground. I have no clue about Seawall.

Betty

Anybody aware if either the Seawall or Black woods campground are accessible from the ocean (kayak)?

Gary

I've stayed at Seawall and Blackwoods. Neither has direct access for launching from, but both aren't far from spots where you can launch. There are two private campgrounds on either side of Sommes Sound that do offer direct access to the Sound. One is Mount Desert Campground (tents and pop ups only with a lot of tent platforms) and the other I don't know the name of, but it is where the Hall Quarry's are.

Scott

I've stayed at Seawall and Blackwoods. Neither has direct access for launching from, but both aren't far from spots where you can launch. There are two private campgrounds on either side of Sommes Sound that do offer direct access to the Sound. One is Mount Desert Campground (tents and pop ups only with a lot of tent platforms) and the other I don't know the name of, but it is where the Hall Quarry's are.

Scott

The one at the quarry is called Somes Sound Campground. It's hard to get down to the water at this campground unless you just going down with a car or truck. A Very windy switch back road, but otherwise a nice campground. Mount Desert Island campground at the North end of the sound is my favorite.

Kent

Gary

I have another suggestion if you are open to it.

There is a Camp area in Oceanville next to Stonington. It is close around the corner from Eggamoggin Reach East & Deer Isle Thoroughfare. There are great seafood restaurants a short walk from the water front in Stonington like the Fisherman's friend.

It is right on the water. And it is in a protected spot perfect for practice.

http://www.oldquarry.com/ It is at an old quarry with plenty of parking and camping .

North East and South West harbor area are expensive as hell.

Plus the best sight seeing is around Stonington as there are more islands off it.

North East Harbor is not that far from Stonington.

There is a Main Island trail as well . http://www.mita.org/

If any of you want some pointers on some nice spots to explore I can break out a chart and name some.

Frank

Thanks for the replies. Planning circumnav of MDI/Swans, camping at MITA sites, and noticed there are few spots to camp along the eastern shore of MDI. Will likely launch from Lamoine or Trenton, just N of MDI.

Thanks for the replies. Planning circumnav of MDI/Swans, camping at MITA sites, and noticed there are few spots to camp along the eastern shore of MDI.

You animal. IAH and Deer Isle just not enough eh.

At the end of the week you were up there a friend went from Stonington area out to visit marshall and Long Island and then around Swan's (Thurs through Sat). While mainly he got to use navigation skills in fog (which included a dragger stopping to ask if they were OK and knew where they were) as opposed to seeing much, he said it was a great area. The Ducks are further out and supposedly neat to visit.

I think you will need to do east shore in a day which should not be a big deal given what you have been up to so far this year.

Ed Lawson

Of all the MDI campsites mentioned, I think that the Hall's Quarry site might be the most kayak friendly. At the bottom of the hill is a launch area, not too close to tent sites but close enough so you could park your boat and walk up the hill to a campsite, a la Old Quarry in Stonington.

That's as I remember, anyway: (and I'm a little daffy in the head, as you know) I was there about six years ago.

Hall's Quarry is on the west side of Somes Sound.

It's been a few years but at Somes Sound campground there were two camp sites, one right on the water next to the launch and another about 50 feet away that I have used many times. I expect you will have to call and reserve if you want one of those.

Kent

try starting your trip at Lamoine State Park--just opposite MDI--you can probably reach the Cranberries the first day, weather permitting and camp on Crow just off Big Cranberry.

• 1 month later...

Gary,

I just did a MDI circumnav:(clockwise from Northeast Harbor, including a tour of the Cranberries)

As a guideline:

Crow Island (in the Cranberries) to John Island (Bartlett Narrows) took me 5 hours.

John Island to Bar Harbor took me 5 1/4 hours

Bar Harbor to Northeast Harbor (roughly the same distance as to Crow) took me 3 ½ hours.

I would say no major caveats: I’m a not-fast paddler, but I took few breaks (it was rainy and wet and I was more comfortable paddling than resting)

Seas were generally calm, I had some push from the tides, mostly on the west side of MDI.

Hope this helps:

Peter

There is a symposium in September where one of the "courses" is a non-stop circumnavigation of MDI---I'm really not sure why anyone would want to do this other than the bragging rights or why they would be willing to pay 75.00 ((I think that is the fee) for the privilege---if you are a strong enough paddler to actually consider this paddle, you are strong (and knowledgible) enought not to require a guide. But if you are interested I think it is being put on by Aquaterra/Carpe Diem

I forgot to add that Barlett's Island is open to the public on most of the beachs on the north, west and south sides(but not the east side in front of those big houses) and I think you can camp there as well--but is not on the MITA list.

I think you can camp there as well--but is not on the MITA list.

I don't think camping without the owner's specific permission is allowed. As I recall the signs saying public allowed on shore indicate no camping and no fires. The Hub off the NW point is a MITA island and looked inviting in a spartan sort of way. While it is a MITA island, it is public island so MITA membership is not required to camp there. A trip from Seal Cove around Hardwood and Bartlett is a very nice paddle and Bartlet has some great little beaches for breaks.

Ed Lawson