Very cool lightning strike after effect

While indulging in our other obsession known as disc golf in Amesbury today, we came across a tree that had recently been struck by lightning. The lightning had hit the top of a (100ft?) pine tree and had carved out a line in the bark that wound its way around the entire trunk of the tree, all the way into the ground. At one point, it went under the bark and left it in place but the char marks allowed you to still follow its path.

Now, let's relate it to kayaking...don't get hit by lightning ;)

QUOTE(Kevin B @ Jun 28 2008, 08:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
While indulging in our other obsession known as disc golf in Amesbury today, we came across a tree that had recently been struck by lightening. The lightening had hit the top of a (100ft?) pine tree and had carved out a line in the bark that wound its way around the entire trunk of the tree, all the way into the ground. At one point, it went under the bark and left it in place but the char marks allowed you to still follow its path.

Now, let's relate it to kayaking...don't get hit by lightening ;)

Well I noticed my first lightEning strike my beard, followed a few years later by streaks of lightEning throughout my scalp...of which I still hope to have after Kev sees this!

(Got here first, Geoffrey!)

QUOTE(Kevin B @ Jun 28 2008, 08:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
While indulging in our other obsession known as disc golf in Amesbury today, we came across a tree that had recently been struck by lightening. The lightening had hit the top of a (100ft?) pine tree and had carved out a line in the bark that wound its way around the entire trunk of the tree, all the way into the ground. At one point, it went under the bark and left it in place but the char marks allowed you to still follow its path.

Now, let's relate it to kayaking...don't get hit by lightening ;)

Kevin:

I've seen that same spiral path of a lightening strike on two differnet trees (one in Maine and one on the Baltic coast in Sweden). In both cases, it was a pine, and in the case of the one that was recent you could see light brown wood about 1/8" wide where the lightening had blown off the bark all the way down (probably due to instant steam production). On both, the line went into the dirt and you could see the disturbed soil it had entered the ground (more steam explosions I assume). The path completed at least two and maybe three complete turns around the trunk as it came down.

But why the spiral? Why not a direct or at least wiggly path to the ground?

My first thought was the spiral growth pattern of branches on pines, but I'd have to confirm the species involved were indeed spiral.

Other theories? Scientists, professional and amateur, please enlighten us.

Scott

Kevin:

I've seen that same spiral path of a lightening strike on two differnet trees (one in Maine and one on the Baltic coast in Sweden). In both cases, it was a pine, and in the case of the one that was recent you could see light brown wood about 1/8" wide where the lightening had blown off the bark all the way down (probably due to instant steam production). On both, the line went into the dirt and you could see the disturbed soil it had entered the ground (more steam explosions I assume). The path completed at least two and maybe three complete turns around the trunk as it came down.

My first thought was the spiral growth pattern of branches on pines, but I'd have to confirm the species involved were indeed spiral.

Scott

Scott,

Interesting. Your description matched exactly what I observed in Amesbury. I'm curious to see what responses your question generates.

QUOTE(Kevin B @ Jul 9 2008, 01:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Scott,

Interesting. Your description matched exactly what I observed in Amesbury. I'm curious to see what type response your question generate.

the internet really can make you a smarty-pants....

"Most lightning scars in trees follow the longitudinal axis of the xylem cells (wood grain). Xylem grain orientation develops based on mechanical loading in trees applied through bending and torque (twist). Some trees have straight grain, and some have unequal wind forces applied to their crowns (lopsidedness), causing xylem grain to spiral down the stem. Lightning scars can spiral down the stem following the longitudinal spiral pattern of the xylem elements. The initial electrical flow along the grain offers the least initial electrical resistance within a tree"

http://www.isa-arbor.com/publications/arbn...4/feature2.aspx

the internet really can make you a smarty-pants....

"Most lightning scars in trees follow the longitudinal axis of the xylem cells (wood grain). Xylem grain orientation develops based on mechanical loading in trees applied through bending and torque (twist). Some trees have straight grain, and some have unequal wind forces applied to their crowns (lopsidedness), causing xylem grain to spiral down the stem. Lightning scars can spiral down the stem following the longitudinal spiral pattern of the xylem elements. The initial electrical flow along the grain offers the least initial electrical resistance within a tree"

http://www.isa-arbor.com/publications/arbn...4/feature2.aspx

Thank you professor.

Our Fir tree was hit by lightning a few years ago. We had a tree expert come and see if it was still healthy or if we needed to cut it down. He told us that the lightning spiraled up the tree from the ground. It spirals twice around and we can see the exit point half way up the tree. The lighting is attracted to the moisture in the tree, a good conductor, the ground was wet from rain and maybe the rabbit cage, also a conductor. We still have the tree 10 years later, healthy as can be! The rabbit survived also, with maybe another streak of white fur!

Kevin:

Scott