excercises?

so besides lifting weights (i might not be bright but i can lift heavy things) my wife introduced me to....sit down (okay, so far i like it) now lean back and lift your legs off of the floor....you're still relatively upright in posture...leaning farther back, you now take that heavy ball in your hands (which you were wise enough to sit down with in the first place) and you twist as far as you can to the right and left...my legs bicycle as i do this (it's a lot like when you're lifting your knee to when you roll) and the farther back you lean your torso and the farther over to the left and right you twist with that heavy ball the more effective it feels. i'm no physiologist...i can only go with what it feels like.

anyways if the burning is any indication, it's working my abs and i like that the motion with my legs is not completely dissimilar to a roll.

anyways, that and stretching are my current faves...well and the lat pull down and seated rows and who can ever go wrong bench pressing? and stretching...this saturday little harbor was HOPPING (oh was that ever fun to play/surf) but my shoulder was stiff as hell before, during and after....not injured...just stiff. i think i've hit the age where stretching and warming up is going to take on new importance.

so what're you doing on those days you can't get to the water?

My fitness training comes from crossfit(www.crossfit.com) and I follow the program quite closely. Lots of bodyweight exercises and very high intensity. I also enjoy spending time on my road(on the trainer) or mountain bike(outside).

Rick:

Yoga does the trick for me: my infamous back problems are 75% licked. It took 2-3 years of persistant classes and practice 2-3 times a week, during which I'd have months where nothing changed and then a series of breakthroughs. it's more than stretching, though there is plenty of that. It's also correct posture and protection of joints.

If you go this route, find a qualified teacher who is teaching a cumulative class with the same students so you can progress; you generally won't find this in health club type classes. I'm very partial to the Iyengar style as it emphasizes precision and alignment, not so much the flow and power aspects: good for my aging body.

Scott

My typical weight/core day workout:

Standing balance on exercise ball – 2 minutes

Reverse ab crunches – 60-80

“angels” with dumbbells – 10# 7x10 in different positions – superman on stomach

Rainbow (backward) arches arms and feet for support – no head – 3x 40-50 seconds

Curl and lunge w/ dumbbells 2x35#, 3x10 reps

Crunches – 40

Side-to-side crunches 40

Leg lift/scissors 80

Jump rope 100

Leg lifts – 20# - backward over exercise ball x 50, sideways x 50

Hip flexor lifts – 60# 3x10 both sides

Rows on exercise ball with torso rotation 35# 3x10 both sides

Forearm flexes 2x2 sides x 50

Hand grips 2 sides x 50

Finger grips 2 sides x 50

Seated twist with medicine ball 7 kg x50 (legs don’t touch ground)

Planks – 3x60 sec w/ 30 sec rest in between

Finger grips 2x50

Other workouts:

Bike in and out of work

Run - both distance and short interval work

On a kayak "workout" day - 1 hour of forward strokes, followed by rolls

Yoga

Stretching

My typical weight/core day workout:

Standing balance on exercise ball – 2 minutes

Reverse ab crunches – 60-80

“angels” with dumbbells – 10# 7x10 in different positions – superman on stomach

Rainbow (backward) arches arms and feet for support – no head – 3x 40-50 seconds

Curl and lunge w/ dumbbells 2x35#, 3x10 reps

Crunches – 40

Side-to-side crunches 40

Leg lift/scissors 80

Jump rope 100

Leg lifts – 20# - backward over exercise ball x 50, sideways x 50

Hip flexor lifts – 60# 3x10 both sides

Rows on exercise ball with torso rotation 35# 3x10 both sides

Forearm flexes 2x2 sides x 50

Hand grips 2 sides x 50

Finger grips 2 sides x 50

Seated twist with medicine ball 7 kg x50 (legs don’t touch ground)

Planks – 3x60 sec w/ 30 sec rest in between

Finger grips 2x50

Other workouts:

Bike in and out of work

Run - both distance and short interval work

On a kayak "workout" day - 1 hour of forward strokes, followed by rolls

Yoga

Stretching

OK, I guess I see where I have been going wrong! All I can say is I wished I lived nearby so I could tag along to the gym for some motivation!

Suz

Hey, any workout is a good workout, and better than no workout. Part of my motivation this year was to run a masters 4x400m relay at the Penn Relays (a big track meet in Philadelphia in late April).

I've been finding that the core is critical to nearly any athletic activity, whether it's kayaking or sprinting or javelin throwing (been doing a bit of that). A lot of the stuff on that list above was developed to be a combination of motions in each exercise - e.g. lunge and curl gets two motions at once.

Anyway....I did manage to run at Penn - my brother captured it on YouTube

I'm the third leg on the relay - you can hear my mom and brother arguing on the audio portion - kinda funny.