recommend some training opportunities -L4

Hi all,

I was looking over my kayaking history, and realize that while I've been out in some "fun" conditions, I taken little formal training or coaching to deal with them. I guess I'm looking for some recommendations on training with good coaches/instructors this summer that would be appropriate training for ACA/old BCU level 4 prep. And if anybody can recommend good safe places to practice in said conditions, that too would be appreciated.

Thanks

Phil

And if anybody can recommend good safe places to practice in said conditions, that too would be appreciated.

Hmmmm. Suggests a demand for coastal practice/skills sessions as well as lake sessions.

Or maybe paddles with a focus of learning some aspect of dealing with less than tranquil water.

Ed Lawson

well...tomorrow's ndk demo might be fun....

ANZ250-170315-

/O.CON.KBOX.SC.Y.0185.080517T0900Z-080517T1900Z/

COASTAL WATERS FROM MERRIMACK RIVER MA OUT 25 NM TO PLYMOUTH MA

OUT 40 NM...INCLUDING THE STELLWAGEN BANK NATIONAL MARINE

SANCTUARY-

1200 PM EDT FRI MAY 16 2008

SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM LATE TONIGHT

THROUGH SATURDAY AFTERNOON

SAT

N WINDS 15 TO 20 KT...BECOMING W 10 TO 15 KT LATE. GUSTS

UP TO 30 KT. SEAS 5 TO 8 FT...SUBSIDING TO 4 TO 6 FT IN THE

AFTERNOON. RAIN LIKELY IN THE MORNING.

SAT NIGHT

SW WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. GUSTS UP TO 20 KT IN THE

EVENING. SEAS 3 TO 5 FT. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS AFTER MIDNIGHT.

hi tide Plum Island at 10:30...low at 5...

i think we're launching around 2 pm.

might be fun.

Hi all,

I was looking over my kayaking history, and realize that while I've been out in some "fun" conditions, I taken little formal training or coaching to deal with them. I guess I'm looking for some recommendations on training with good coaches/instructors this summer that would be appropriate training for ACA/old BCU level 4 prep. And if anybody can recommend good safe places to practice in said conditions, that too would be appreciated.

Thanks

Phil

Hi Phil.

Carl and Sam Ladd's outfit Osprey Sea Kayak (www.ospreyseakayak.com) offers ACA L1-4 Training down in the warm waters of RI.

Seacliff Kayakers (www.Seacliffkayakers.com), John Carmody and Steve Maynard's company in Boothbay Harbor is BCU oriented. Because of changes in the BCU Star System, the "old" 4* is now the "new" 3*, and, at least my understanding is, in order to train for the "new" 4* you might either need the old (flatwater) 3* or the "old" 4*. No matter what, it's all good.

I can recommend both or, if you attend the NDK Demo tomorrow, talk to Tom about what he's offering for the season.

Not to start any thing here, but I can't recommend professional training enough, followed by lots of practice with fellow paddlers.

And, no, I don't work for OSKA or SeaCliff, just owe a lot of my paddling ability to instructors from both outfits.

Deb M.

well...tomorrow's ndk demo might be fun....

ANZ250-170315-

/O.CON.KBOX.SC.Y.0185.080517T0900Z-080517T1900Z/

COASTAL WATERS FROM MERRIMACK RIVER MA OUT 25 NM TO PLYMOUTH MA

OUT 40 NM...INCLUDING THE STELLWAGEN BANK NATIONAL MARINE

SANCTUARY-

And the Cape Elizabeth to Merrimack River forecast is:

ANZ154-170915-

/O.ROU.KGYX.MA.F.0000.000000T0000Z-000000T0000Z/

CAPE ELIZABETH ME TO MERRIMACK RIVER MA OUT TO 25 NM-

312 PM EDT FRI MAY 16 2008

.TONIGHT...NE WINDS 5 TO 10 KT...BECOMING N 10 TO 15 KT WITH GUSTS

UP TO 20 KT LATE THIS EVENING AND OVERNIGHT. SEAS 2 TO 4 FT. RAIN.

VSBY 1 TO 3 NM.

.SAT...NW WINDS 10 TO 15 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 20 KT...BECOMING W IN

THE AFTERNOON. SEAS 2 TO 4 FT. RAIN LIKELY IN THE MORNING WITH VSBY

1 TO 3 NM.

.SAT NIGHT...SW WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. SEAS 2 TO 3 FT. A CHANCE OF

SHOWERS. VSBY 1 TO 3 NM.

.SUN...S WINDS 10 TO 15 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 20 KT. SEAS 1 TO 2 FT.

Which leads me to ask when paddling about in the Cape Anne area which forecast to folks find more likely to predict the conditions they find?

Aren't the good MIKCO folks going to have a "lets go have fun session" in the afternoon for those who want, perhaps, to get more than a paddle wet? Seems a great way to get some experience and advice for free to me.

Ed Lawson

There is a "rough water" workshop that John Carmody and other conduct. I took it last year, and will probably take it again - mainly to shake out the kinks in conditions. I think it's the first weekend in June or something.

This was in Rhode Island - we did one morning in current, then that afternoon in surf. The next day, we did a crossing a bit north of Point Judith. I find every time I do one of these, I learn a bit more.

Or..you can just schedule time with a high level guide to get custom instruction. I also did this last summer, where I managed to scrape together others to join in. If you just say..."I want to work on surf....current....etc etc..." They can give you want you want.

The forecast sounds like fun - my son has a track meet at Andover tomorrow - kids throwing the javelin will not be pleased with 20-30 knot winds.

There is a "rough water" workshop that John Carmody and other conduct.

If you can get a group together -- at least 3 or 4 -- you can often sign up John Carmody and others for some tailored instruction -- rough water, incident management, navigation, 4-star, whatever. Let them know generally what you're looking for and they'll pick venues and tailor the whole thing nicely.

Shoot John an e-mail and I'm sure he'd be happy to discuss possibilities. I betcha Carl Ladd of Osprey would do likewise. Hey, you might even get both of 'em, depending on the size of the group.

But act soon -- the later you go the harder it is to schedule them. September and October are especially good for this, as the weather and water are still warm, but conditions pick up... and the power hordes are gone.

--David