GPS waypoints

gyork

Now that Topozone.com is part of Trails.com, which requires a paid subscription, where can I find free-access maps/charts that provide waypoints by mouse-clicking on a section of map/chart?

For one of my typical non-responsive answers, I suggest using a pair of dividers along with maybe a rule to ascertain the Lat. and Long. of points on charts. This can be done with an accuracy of at least 50'. For me this has the added advantages of causing me to study the chart, think about what the chart can tell me, and become familiar with it so I can use it quickly in less than ideal situations.

Ed Lawson

For one of my typical non-responsive answers......

Ed Lawson

Thanks for non-responding Ed! Yes, dividers are the way to go much of the time, and the preferred method when sitting around the campsite, or leisurely at sea. What I'm looking to do is pre-program my GPS with waypoints of certain landmarks/aids to navigation along a planned route. I find this to be tedious, even when snowbound, but much prefer to do it now, rather than on the water. Of course this is for back-up only, typically when fog-bound.

Meanwhile the snow is slowly fading, and I haven't donned my drysuit in a dog's age.

G

Google earth will give you lat lon in DMS, digital degrees, degrees digital minute and universal mercator. Can be set under the preferences, as Rick mentioned. One of those should be directly compatible with your GPS. Or if your computer handy, there are ways to get back and forth communication between google earth and some GPS units.

Phil

also, I just discovered "EarthNC". They sell digital charts for google earth, but also have a limited online KMZ layer for coastal navigation (registration required). So if you want to set your GPS to the red nun off of Little Calf Island in the outer boston harbor, its there. I've only just begun to play with it, so more later.

Phil

(ps. no affiliation with EarthNC)