Mystic Lakes Skill Sessions this year?

subaruguru

Do we have plans for the Mystic Lakes skill sessions this year? David did a great job last year, but I'm not sure he's up to it this year. I plan on paddling the Lake a few times each week for exercise, but do not feel prepared to lead formal skill sessions as I'm still a nonroller (sigh....), as well as being relatively nonpedagogical, but am always gladly willing to help newcomers with basic strokes, rescues, bracing, gear, etc.

If an alternate day is preferable I can attend Monday, Tuesday or Thursday afternoon/eves.

Anyone want to (co-)lead these Sessions?

Do we have plans for the Mystic Lakes skill sessions this year? David did a great job last year, but I'm not sure he's up to it this year. I plan on paddling the Lake a few times each week for exercise, but do not feel prepared to lead formal skill sessions as I'm still a nonroller (sigh....), as well as being relatively nonpedagogical, but am always gladly willing to help newcomers with basic strokes, rescues, bracing, gear, etc.

If an alternate day is preferable I can attend Monday, Tuesday or Thursday afternoon/eves.

Ernie:

You don't have to be a leader. What the skill sessons need is a facilitator, someone to organize it. People come and share skills and ideas.....there is no instructor needed. It's just like a pool session but in the lake.

I got so much out of these sessions last year that I will definitely do them again this year if they happen. I'm not sure I should volunteer to help facilitate, though, because its likely I'll be late all the time and absent occasionally.

Hi Ernie,

I also really enjoyed the Mystic sessions last year and my skills improved substantially.

Unfortunately I have a conflict on Tuesdays until the end of June. If you wanted to switch it to another night, I would happily start going as soon as me and my wetsuit could handle the water temps.

Hi Ernie,

I also really enjoyed the Mystic sessions last year and my skills improved substantially.

Unfortunately I have a conflict on Tuesdays until the end of June. If you wanted to switch it to another night, I would happily start going as soon as me and my wetsuit could handle the water temps.

I'll be on the Lake this afternoon, and hopefully a few times each week.

Tuesday is probably preferred by most, but I can do Mon or Thursday late afternoons too, as well

other times spontaneously.

Give a shout if you want to meet up any afternoon.

Cheers.

Ern

781 483-3922

Hi Ernie,

If you and the guys are interested, I can teach strokes at a few sessions. I met some of you last year when Billy and I taught rolling. I'll warn you, though, I have imbibed the BCU Kool Aid!

Let me know.

Bob

Hi Ernie,

If you and the guys are interested, I can teach strokes at a few sessions. I met some of you last year when Billy and I taught rolling. I'll warn you, though, I have imbibed the BCU Kool Aid!

Let me know.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Of course! It was beautiful out there yesterday: a sunny 55F (water 50F), amidst a couple dozen training sailing dinghies I managed to inadvertently (?) play chicken with.

I REALLY need to learn to roll this year!

Ern

PS I plan to bring both my F5 and Cetus (as well an extra Cypress 215 and PFD) if anyone wants to demo either 'yak (custom bulkheads means only 30-33" legs though).

Hi Bob,

Of course! It was beautiful out there yesterday: a sunny 55F (water 50F), amidst a couple dozen training sailing dinghies I managed to inadvertently (?) play chicken with.

I REALLY need to learn to roll this year!

Ern

PS I plan to bring both my F5 and Cetus (as well an extra Cypress 215 and PFD) if anyone wants to demo either 'yak (custom bulkheads means only 30-33" legs though).

Ernie,

I was a Research Software Engineer in another life and did a lot of work of why programmers make errors. That work has given me a perspective on why people make errors in almost any endeavor. Many of us fail to roll initially because many instructors ask us to attempt the completion of a complex task before breaking it down to it's constituent parts and having us master each part in a step wise fashion before putting it all together. Also not all of us are the same body type with the same amount of flexibility and muscle strength. Too many instructors rightly question the utility of arm and shoulder strength but say little about core and abdominal strength which is definitely important. Finally, I believe that rolling should be learned without the paddle. Start with an inflated paddle float in your hands and simulate the action of the paddle during the roll. If you cannot come up well, you need to continue practice until it's flawless and confident. Only then should work with the paddle begin. I have a lot of ideas about this as well. I speak from experience, while failure may frustrate others it challenges me to find out why.

When you've tried all the best and want a rest call Dr. Gene. A bientot.

Ernie,

I was a Research Software Engineer in another life and did a lot of work of why programmers make errors. That work has given me a perspective on why people make errors in almost any endeavor. Many of us fail to roll initially because many instructors ask us to attempt the completion of a complex task before breaking it down to it's constituent parts and having us master each part in a step wise fashion before putting it all together. Also not all of us are the same body type with the same amount of flexibility and muscle strength. Too many instructors rightly question the utility of arm and shoulder strength but say little about core and abdominal strength which is definitely important. Finally, I believe that rolling should be learned without the paddle. Start with an inflated paddle float in your hands and simulate the action of the paddle during the roll. If you cannot come up well, you need to continue practice until it's flawless and confident. Only then should work with the paddle begin. I have a lot of ideas about this as well. I speak from experience, while failure may frustrate others it challenges me to find out why.

Hopefully, this year I learn the roll. I like your idea re: using the paddle float. I've tried boat cushions in place of a paddle just to start. but always run into problems because I don't start hip snap fast enough and wind up sinking and bailing out which leads to frustration.

Looking forward to attending my first sessions this year with group and learning from experienced people. OK, so much for the sucking up; just hoping to learn.

Ernie,

Gene,

Not knowing what professional instructors you have worked with, I can't comment directly to your experience. However, my experience seems to be quite the opposite of what you are insinuating.

My experience with professional instructors is that they are extremely well versed working with paddlers with not only different body types, but also different learning styles. They are very flexible when teaching, and teach each paddler as an individual. Everyone is different. For example, breaking down a roll to it's "constituent parts and having us master each part in a step wise fashion" may work for those analytical engineer types, but it may be completely confusing for those that need to learn with a more visual or touchy/feely approach. Bottom line, is that a good instructor has many tricks in his/her bag and not every person can be taught the same exact way.

I know that the BCU coach system spends a lot of time with their coaches specifically on different approaches to learning, teaching and working with each student to accommodate their specific needs. Good effective instruction is more of an art than a science. So, to those that may be listening, don't give up on professional instructors, just find a good one that suits your needs, there are lots of them out there.

Bill Gwynn

I am not a Dr., but I am a BCU L2 Coach

I'll be on the Mystic Lake again later this afternoon (4-6ish, Thursday), barring any complications from oral surgery midday.

Ern

Gene,

Not knowing what professional instructors you have worked with, I can't comment directly to your experience. However, my experience seems to be quite the opposite of what you are insinuating.

My experience with professional instructors is that they are extremely well versed working with paddlers with not only different body types, but also different learning styles. They are very flexible when teaching, and teach each paddler as an individual. Everyone is different. For example, breaking down a roll to it's "constituent parts and having us master each part in a step wise fashion" may work for those analytical engineer types, but it may be completely confusing for those that need to learn with a more visual or touchy/feely approach. Bottom line, is that a good instructor has many tricks in his/her bag and not every person can be taught the same exact way.

I know that the BCU coach system spends a lot of time with their coaches specifically on different approaches to learning, teaching and working with each student to accommodate their specific needs. Good effective instruction is more of an art than a science. So, to those that may be listening, don't give up on professional instructors, just find a good one that suits your needs, there are lots of them out there.

Bill Gwynn

I am not a Dr., but I am a BCU L2 Coach

Hi Bill,

My point was not to denigrate the efforts of professionals but to illuminate other methods that may be helpful to those who have not had success with professional coaching. My experience will not be helpful to those who are impatient or easily frustrated. I believe that more is learned from failure than success. When I first got interested in learning how to roll, I asked someone I paddled with frequently and who himself rolled successfully for help. His honest reply

was " I know to do it, just not how or why" I learned on my own after several failed attempts with instructors and made it a practice to observe and learn from every failure. I appreciate that there are many different learning styles as there are paddlers. One big boost in my learning curve came from Walter who among other things told me to "sweep the sky" with my paddle. I think that perhaps over time with the right instructor I could have been successful, but I never had that opportunity. For some rolling is more like learning to speak a foreign language. The instructor may be necessary, but is not sufficient. One also needs a lot of practice and since the instructor is no longer there, it is important that the learning cycle continues with the most important teacher present, yourself. By the way to be clear Bill, I'm not a Doctor either, just my way of poking fun at my own pomposity.