Origin of MayDay

Gcosloy

Perhaps others already knew this but I recently discovered it's meaning at a local French club I sometimes frequent: May Day is the proper way to pronounce "help me!" in French which is actually m'aide. It seems ironic to me that while most of us are perhaps other lanquage phobic, the CG asks us to pronounce in perfect French "help me!" Securite is easier, it means safety in English. Does anyone know the origin of Pan-Pan? Here's hoping that none of us will need to practice our French on the water this season.

Does anyone know the origin of Pan-Pan?

After more research, I think I may be able to answer my own question. The French word peine means difficulty and is pronounced pan. Why Pan-Pan however escapes me

I think it's "M'aidez" - technical point.

I think "pan pan" comes from "panne" - the term for a mechanical breakdown in French. Also - I think sometimes people look at it as an abbreviation for "Possible Assistance Needed". The "panne" explanation is more likely.

In French both "aide" and "aidez" are pronounced the same. What is implicit in the Imperative command is the (you) help me. Since the helper in this case the CG is perhaps not personally known to us in an emergency the "aidez" would be more proper. The "panne" is also a better explanation. Merci

In French both "aide" and "aidez" are pronounced the same. What is implicit in the Imperative command is the (you) help me. Since the helper in this case the CG is perhaps not personally known to us in an emergency the "aidez" would be more proper. The "panne" is also a better explanation. Merci

Just asked one of our native speaking French teachers. She says that M'aide would sound like "med" (as in MEDicine) and would be too familiar (rather than the formal form). So she thinks it is M'aidez.

Al

Just asked one of our native speaking French teachers. She says that M'aide would sound like "med" (as in MEDicine) and would be too familiar (rather than the formal form). So she thinks it is M'aidez.

Al

Glad Al caught this one first, Monsieur Cosloille!

A bientot.

E. MEUNIER

Ok guess I'm confused..why would the Coast Guard require you say "Help Me" in perfect french...""this isn't like a knock knock joke" is it ?)

I'll be up in Quebec in a week or so..I'll try that explanation about May Day and see how it works out, I'm curious .

...mostly when I go up there and something is broken it is ..."kaput" ...probably not very French but pretty universal..

The origins of May Day are in our pagan history: dancing around the Maypole was a celebration of reproduction and fecundity -- indeed: springtime!

However, I daresay that that is <not> what Gene had in mind. To confirm -- singulier: "M'aide"; pluriel: "M'aidez". The only person whom one might ask to "M'aide" would be someone with whom one is very familiar or someone juvenile -- hardly the case here. On addresserait un etranger toujours au pluriel. Written as an English word, I have only seen it thus: "mayday" (one word).

Of course, as everyone here knows, I am not <always> right! Now, any queries regarding usage in Swahili, perhaps?

The origins of May Day are in our pagan history: dancing around the Maypole was a celebration of reproduction and fecundity -- indeed: springtime!

However, I daresay that that is <not> what Gene had in mind. To confirm -- singulier: "M'aide"; pluriel: "M'aidez". The only person whom one might ask to "M'aide" would be someone with whom one is very familiar or someone juvenile -- hardly the case here. On addresserait un etranger toujours au pluriel. Written as an English word, I have only seen it thus: "mayday" (one word).

Of course, as everyone here knows, I am not <always> right! Now, any queries regarding usage in Swahili, perhaps?

merde?

oh wait, that might mean something else...

in any event, that the call for help, loss of life or vessel imminent "may-day" being of french origin sounds like part of a lettermen monologue.