Explorer VS Ellesmere VS Aquanaut VS Q-Boat

jjdiv

There were some great responses to the Explorer VS Ellesmere post. Since there have been alot of views, I thought it would be fun to open this up to a few more reasonably comparable boats. If you have paddled two or more of these, please summarize your impressions!! Thanks!! :hug:

Gilford, NH?? Somebody else in the lakes region??

Can lake sessions on Opechee or Winnisquam be far behind?

As to the boats; they all float, somebody out there thinks one or the other is great, somebody out there thinks one or the other is OK, and somebody out there thinks one or the other is terrible.

Of them I think only the Q Boat is a love it or hate it boat.

Ed Lawson

There are others who have more experience with these boats, however here goes: borrowed an Aquanaut for a week and found it slightly faster than an Explorer but a little less manuverable. Possibly less rocker. Should provide confidence like the Explorer to a new paddler. The Q boat is a whole nuffa kettle of fish. Very active primary and not a strong secondary. Very manuverable and would be very challenging for a newcomer.

In 2003 my final three boats on my list were Aquanaut, Ellesmere, and Explorer (Q-boat wasn't around at the time). All three are great boats. My sense is as others have said that the Q boat is more demanding/less forgiving than the other three.

I find the Aquanaut the most confident in snotty seas. It is slightly faster than an Explorer and about equal with an Ellesmere. The Explorer is the most generally confidence inspiring. I don't think you can go wrong with any one these three.