Weather and Waves Workshop - Sat April 5

cathyfoley

John Huth once again has volunteered his time to pass on his extensive knowledge of weather and how it applies to kayaking. John's past presentations have been touted by club members as the best they've seen on the subject. This is truly one workshop you won't want to miss!

The workshop will be at the Gould Barn in Topsfield, MA on Saturday morning, April 5 from 9:00 a.m. until noon. Check the calendar for other details.

Here's a bit about what John has to say about what he'll be presenting:

"One of the things we’re taught in sea kayaking is to check weather forecasts in advance, find out about sea swell conditions and get local knowledge. Reliance on outside information is good advice, no doubt, but an over-reliance on outside information can create a barrier between us and our environment. In the most pragmatic terms, the one thing we cannot get from NOAA radio is information on rapidly changing conditions – typically the local and sudden onset of thunderstorms. At the lowest level, this course has elements that will help the sea kayaker evaluate and respond to rapidly changing local conditions through observations and decision making.

At a more aesthetic level, the course will deal with broader issues of weather and waves: the approach of warm and cold fronts, how to read cloud formations, wind. We’ll consider the air circulation around high and low pressure systems, and how to evaluate weather signs. We’ll also look at the veracity of some weather adages (“red sky at night, sailor’s delight,” is not reliable, whereas “mackerel scales and mares tales make lofty ships carry low sails” is reasonably reliable).

Knowledge of likely wave conditions is an important tool in the sea kayaker’s bag of tricks. By knowing wind, fetch, swell, in combination with underwater topography, a sea kayaker can make very good estimates of likely water conditions in areas where they will be traveling.

The course will last approximately 2 and a half hours, with ample time for questions and breaks as needed."

If any of you have special requests for areas you'd like to see me emphasize, please let me know.

I found some new material, thanks to Steve Maynard - this is mainly in large scale weather patterns.

YES JOHN,

I would like to have specific addresses of reports of approacing weather, weather that will impact paddling in specific areas. For example, I read on the NSPN sight comments such as "given the storms in the atlantic, we can expect good surf on Sunday." From WHAT/WHERE did that info come? Also, web sites where maps with isobars etc can be read!

looking forward to the presentation...again...thinking that each time I hear it I will understand a little more!! :)

thanks for volunteering to do this!!

also thinking the would be great to have a paddle aft of the presentation.

maryb

YES JOHN,

I would like to have specific addresses of reports of approacing weather, weather that will impact paddling in specific areas. For example, I read on the NSPN sight comments such as "given the storms in the atlantic, we can expect good surf on Sunday." From WHAT/WHERE did that info come? Also, web sites where maps with isobars etc can be read!

looking forward to the presentation...again...thinking that each time I hear it I will understand a little more!! :)

thanks for volunteering to do this!!

also thinking the would be great to have a paddle aft of the presentation.

maryb

Actually, there are a few websites dedicated to surf conditions. While they aren't always accurate, they can give a sense of what may or may not be happening.

www.wetsand.com; www.magicseaweed.com and www.NESurf.com are some examples.

You can also get weather etc reports off the NE Small Craft home page as they have direct links.

Hope this helps.

Deb M :roll:

Yup, MagicSeaweed is a good site. Here's another one:

http://www.oceanweather.com/data/

With this one, you can see distant storms that can kick up swells.

You have to keep in mind the directionality of where swells will be traveling, and where the beaches are facing. That's why Rhode Island has particularly good surfing - around the Newport area.

I'll try to cover this.

• 1 month later...
Bump. Not much weather now, but wait awhile.

Frankly, I am rather happy to have not much weather for awhile. In fact, a long warming and stable period would be nice.

Ed Lawson

Who is starting to see bare ground a bit here and there.

Frankly, I am rather happy to have not much weather for awhile.

Yup, it stinks. I'm doing volunteer coaching for my son's track team this season, and the kids have to do pretty tough workouts in the cold and wet and wind. Some of them don't dress properly, and come up to me and say "Mr. Huth I don't feel so great." And I have to launch into my hypothermia lecture.