Happy Holidays

hoppy09

QUOTE(Kevin B @ Dec 24 2007, 10:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Peter,

Well put. Happy holidays to all....

What did everybody get!!!!!!!????? Any cool new gear??? I heard Shaila got a new tow belt . . . Kevin bought new gloves to try under pogies and I got, wow, I don't think I got any kayak gear! I think I have everything I need for the most part which is scary. Although that plaid duct tape at llbean might end up in someone's repair kit :)

What did everybody get!!!!!!!????? Any cool new gear??? I heard Shaila got a new tow belt . . . Kevin bought new gloves to try under pogies and I got, wow, I don't think I got any kayak gear! I think I have everything I need for the most part which is scary. Although that plaid duct tape at llbean might end up in someone's repair kit :)

:haha: Is anyone really surprised? ;)

Hope you all had a warm and wonderful holiday and wishing you all a terrific new year!

post-100437-1198789442_thumb.jpg

:haha: Is anyone really surprised? ;)

Well, my Sis and Bro-in-Law in Chapel Hill certainly were! I had been suggesting for a couple of years that these non-yakers try our hobby, as they abut the 15mi Jordan Lake, but to no avail.

So I bought my sis the Necky rep's beat up 07 Manitou 14 composite, gussied it up, and planned to surprise her with it, along with hubby Mike's logistical help. But of course HE wanted one too, so we all continued discretely chatting about whether to grab a leftover new M14 Necky's dumping in the spring, or maybe a rental plastic Cap166, etc., when I found an internet dealer dumping a pair of NEW Manitou14 comps for $1149! Quick secret call to Mike couldn't get him to order the red one for himself in time, so I managed to get Sue to secretly buy the remaining yellow one for him before he got home that night and sadly saw that both had noiw been been sold. Back to square one, he thought....

Meanwhile I collected from rei-outlet.com, various eBay deals, and online sales a pair of wetsuits, jackets, PFDs, boots, paddles (thanks, Ed for that Camano I learned how to chop shorter!), pumps, paddle-floats, whistles, etc (phew!) for them about 1/2 price, while each knew of the ONE kayak for each other, but not of the mate for themselves. Two weeks went buy with the secrets tighter than most British hatch seals....

Sue hid the new M14 in the woods for a week after FedEx delivered, and I drove down to NC with the other M14 atop our Subie, hiding it in their barn. I consulted them privately about how to get each other to walk to the barn Xmas morning, conjuring various ruses. Finally our collective kids told them they needed time to prepare a secret indoor gift, and that got us ALL traipsing quizzically over to the barn as two red-bow-laden bows symmetrically peeked out of their respective horse stalls simultaneously! Both Sue and Mike did double...then triple takes, simply not comprehending how TWO yellow Manitou14s could materialize. I fessed up my involvement to Sue, as she did to Mike, as we laid out all the details of the double-subterfuge amid Christmas wishes.

Yesterday I managed a dry lesson and tutorial on hypothermia before leaving NC this morning for a LONG drive back, now envious of their svelt 39 pounders, as my long-ordered new Cetus is probably still months away.

Necky seems to have down an outstanding job with this skegged, double-hatched Manitou14, especially in getting such a high quality layup from their Chinese factory so quickly. 24" x 14'4", 39lbs, very nice bow, seat and cockpit.

These two newbies lead pressure-cooker lives, sandwiched between child and elder care, so I'm hoping I can engineer some well-deserved leisure activity for them.

And yes, they REALLY were surpised!

See ya all on the water, and a great New Year as we absorb...oh my God...the loss of Benazir Bhutto. Sigh....

Ern