Cold Water Workshop

QUOTE(Kevin B @ Oct 19 2007, 05:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The annual NSPN Cold Water Workshop will be coming on Nov. 10th. Suz has graciously offered to lead this workshop. Details should be appearing soon on the Calendar.

This is now on the Calendar!

QUOTE(Kevin B @ Oct 19 2007, 11:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is now on the Calendar!

Kev,

Calendar post lists the time as "5:00". Isn't this usually at 10 AM? 5 seems a bit early...or way too late?

Ern

Kev,

Calendar post lists the time as "5:00". Isn't this usually at 10 AM? 5 seems a bit early...or way too late?

Ern

Ernie,

Thanks for the heads up. Not sure why that was there but I put in a request to have it fixed. The start time is indeed 10am :)

QUOTE(Kevin B @ Oct 25 2007, 02:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ernie,

Thanks for the heads up. Not sure why that was there but I put in a request to have it fixed. The start time is indeed 10am :)

I will have available a combination of 20+ semi and dry suits available for the uninitiated to try on and use in the water. This is a great opportunity to determine if the less expensive semi dry options would work for you.

You can see the differences in the material, Tropos vs Gore-Tex and the differences in styling between the Meridian styles w/ tunnel and the regular front entry suits.

There will be a couple of pairs of bibs so that if you own a dry top, you can try your hand at mating the two pieces together and see if this works for you.

Looking forward to seeing some faces to go with all the new names!

Suz

Where is Lanes Cove?

Doug

This should get ya close....

http://tinyurl.com/27wk66

FYI, the intersection of Lanes Cove Rd (didn't know it even had a name) and Duley has parking of a few vehicles. There is a lot at the end of Andrews. There are also directions on the website for this and many other put-ins.

So we're meeting at the Cove instead of a morning in-house pre-water seminar/show'n tell?

So we're meeting at the Cove instead of a morning in-house pre-water seminar/show'n tell?

People are supposed to sign up via the instructions on the calendar and then a confirming e-mail is sent to the attendees giving them instructions.

The day will begin inside and it is there that a lot of the discussions and trying on will take place. We will then go down to Lanes Cove for the getting wet part and then finish up back at the house.

So, sign up and then all the instructions will be sent.

I know I have had e-mail exchanges about sizing with some people and see that they are NOT on the roster I was sent last night. So, send in your rsvp!

Looks like it will be a good day for this kind of thing as the weather doesn't look to be promising for the general populas for paddling with another storm coming through. So, come on out!

If there is anything in particular in the Kokatat line up that you have been interested in seeing, please shoot me an e-mail and I will be sure to bring a sample.

Suz

Oh, give me strength, great grammartist in the sky -- what I have daily to suffer at the hands of these outlandish types who torture my language...

Suzanne, dearest: the word is "populace" (populas!)

Deb: (elsewhere) "...confusion as to whom may assess whom..."? Huh? I believe you meant "...WHO may assess whom..." One is nominative and the other is accusative, dear! (Congratulations on your award -- goes without saying)

People are supposed to sign up via the instructions on the calendar and then a confirming e-mail is sent to the attendees giving them instructions.

The day will begin inside and it is there that a lot of the discussions and trying on will take place. We will then go down to Lanes Cove for the getting wet part and then finish up back at the house.

So, sign up and then all the instructions will be sent.

I know I have had e-mail exchanges about sizing with some people and see that they are NOT on the roster I was sent last night. So, send in your rsvp!

Looks like it will be a good day for this kind of thing as the weather doesn't look to be promising for the general populas for paddling with another storm coming through. So, come on out!

If there is anything in particular in the Kokatat line up that you have been interested in seeing, please shoot me an e-mail and I will be sure to bring a sample.

Suz

I am handling the registration for the workshop. If you're interested in attending, please send me the following information: 1) Name, 2) Contact telephone number, 3) ACA Number, 4) Emergency contact name, and 5) Emergency contact telephone number. I'll then send two emails back to you...one which will have the entire list of potential attendees with your contact information, and a second which will transmit the informational document about the workshop activities, and PPPO information. The first email will be a link to an online spreadsheet so that you can check the information I've entered for accuracy (and change it if I've screwed up). I will not be at the workshop, but Gillian Beckwith has graciously offered to check in those who appear.

I'm not aware of a maximum number for workshop, but at the moment I have twelve registrants who have supplied all the information needed. :)

John Gamel aka ExGMan

Oh, give me strength, great grammartist in the sky -- what I have daily to suffer at the hands of these outlandish types who torture my language...

Suzanne, dearest: the word is "populace" (populas!)

Deb: (elsewhere) "...confusion as to whom may assess whom..."? Huh? I believe you meant "...WHO may assess whom..." One is nominative and the other is accusative, dear! (Congratulations on your award -- goes without saying)

Ahh...that's "grammarIAN"!

Ahh...that's "grammarIAN"!

Please.....!!! Do we need to start crapping on people for how to use language? Isnt this about paddling?

Verstehen Sie, was ich meine?

_rick

Please.....!!! Do we need to start crapping on people for how to use language? Isnt this about paddling?

Verstehen Sie, was ich meine?

_rick

No worries - if Christopher/Pintail didn't do his grammar posts we wouldn't know he was alive now would we.

Why get uptight? He is getting old and cantakerous and we need to humor (humour) him at this point in his life.

Suz :hug:

Isnt this about paddling?

_rick

Actually, a great deal of the time that is an open question even when the topic appears to be about paddling. but I digress.

More to the point, good Sir Christopher used precisely the right word as expected, but, the horror of it all, he misspelled it. Grammatist is a strict grammarian. We all know that if Christropher prays to any grammarian god it is without a doubt one that is a grammatist.

Ed Lawson

No worries - if Christopher/Pintail didn't do his grammar posts we wouldn't know he was alive now would we.

Why get uptight?

Suz :hug:

Not uptight...rather paddle...

OK, OK, OK -- I'm still here and breathing a little more easily after the move to Fishtown. So, even I am fallible (occasionally) and acknowledge that I should have used "grammarian" (thanks, Ernie); but Ed is also correct: grammatist might have sufficed.

If anyone thinks, just because we are concerned primarily with sea-kayaking here, that spelling and English usage are unimportant, then I believe such a person to be woefully misguided (yes) and part of the cause for the sad and general decline in present-day standards. Our language is a razor-sharp tool with the potential for high accuracy -- don't forget that! The founder of this website never took me to task for such tongue-in-cheek comments, so why now, all these years later? I care very much about language and shall not desist.

Sooz-annie, I cannot attend tomorrow, due to work, or I should have liked to have been present -- to contribute my little bit!

See you all later!

Not realizing I was supposed to register with John to find out the still-secret-to-me location, and not having emailed John until yesterday...AND having had no response, I wonder if indeed someone could tell me where to go tomorrow?

Thanks.

PS I have the French-American-Canadian nuns to thank for decent grammar, but it still took awhile to get past my elders parking there cars "side by each" and asking to "throw me down the stairs the hat" when we went out for fried clams, us!

Not realizing I was supposed to register with John to find out the still-secret-to-me location, and not having emailed John until yesterday...AND having had no response, I wonder if indeed someone could tell me where to go tomorrow?

Thanks.

PS I have the French-American-Canadian nuns to thank for decent grammar, but it still took awhile to get past my elders parking there cars "side by each" and asking to "throw me down the stairs the hat" when we went out for fried clams, us!

Ernie,

I am probably violating all protocol but I will send you the secret document with the decoder so that you may attend and join in the fun.

Suz

I care very much about language and shall not desist.

See you all later!

This post reminds me of the time I traveled to London towards the end of the Vietnam War. The English, similar to the English now, had lost patience with Pax America and had even less use for American tourists. I was in the Tube and entered the first car that was convenient, clenching my then cold pipe between my teeth. An elderly matron glanced at me menacingly and then rolled her eyes upwards to the “No Smoking” sign. I politely explained that I was American and before I got another word out was told “You can go back there and take your Mr. Kissinger with you!” I smiled and persisted in explaining that the pipe was cold, and no longer burning. Arum she fumed, “ Just being provocative then”? It was a charming moment and one of the reasons I remain an Anglophile. So fume on Mr. Pintail

Although I have yet to meet Chris personally...(looking forward to it!) My impression is that he really doesn't fume much, but enjoys upbeat teasing when it comes to the english language with the "natives". All is meant in fun. BTW: He must just LOVE the Boston accent!

Tone of voice is often sometimes a tough thing to communicate while typing on a message board....as well as being careful of embarrassing typos too!

(Chris, did I get it right? ...the grammar, I mean! ;) )