Casco Bay Trip, 8/19/06

Gcosloy

The trip out into Casco Bay launched inauspiciously enough. Gentle breezes, a cover of clouds and hardly much action in the water at all. Eight nautical miles of this hardly justifies 4 to 5 hours of driving round trip- but what the heck-the company is good and a bad day on the water always beats a good day in the office. After crossing the channel from Portland we sauntered north hugging the shore of Little Diamond. I say sauntered because at low tide we could almost get out and walk. Soon we arrived at the tidal flat separating Little from Great Diamond. We kept going north and reached Cow headed west and soon found a small-protected cove to disembark and stretch. Bob decided to wade out and attempt a reverse endo with Gillian’s boat. What made it interesting was Gillian was still in the boat. Maybe they can go on the Dave Letterman show soon.

As soon as we left the cove and paddled SSW toward Diamond’s cove for a real lunch, we could feel the NW breeze pick up and the air got colder. While I was more than content to dine on my nectarines and trail mix nut collection, the menu sporting fresh fish and chips and Maine Lobster rolls was too tempting. Some of us who did pig out must have been prescient, for after we left the cove to travel back between the north side of the Diamonds and the south side of Peaks Island wind and waves shot up within this narrowed passage. It felt like 10 to 15 knots and 20-knot gusts. Beam seas made it difficult to keep the boat running straight. Finally rounding Little Diamond I was heading for the rocks. Sweeping for all I was worth I heard Jackie screaming, “stay away from the rocks” several times. Later Jackie observed that I was not getting my paddle in at the bow and after trying it noticed how much more the boat came around. Whew! Instead of going back across the shipping channel to Portland directly we stopped at Gorges Fort, a little rocky outcropping supporting nothing much more than this ancient structure. I think most of us were more grateful for the respite from the angry wind and chop than we were for a history lesson.

After a nice rest we all headed out again into the wind and white caps for the short jaunt back to our put in. Not however without more harrowing events. Lisa unknowingly had her skeg down and was drifting away from the group because she had trouble correcting a boat now stuck on track. After some more screaming from our trip leader Lisa got back into the fold only to have a large sailboat race down her stern and tack at the last minute to avoid her and me.

I’ve been out when I’ve become more exhausted, but never with this much action. All in all it started out like a Level 2 minus trip and ended up like a Level 3 plus. I’m grateful for the responsible trip leaders Bob and Jackie and the wonderful comradeship of all souls who survived. No one capsized, but I did need to low brace a couple of times. Can’t wait till next year.

The portland bouy put the winds at a stead 13.6 knots and gusts over 17 knots from the south all afternoon with less than 10 knot winds for the morning before we launched. I have checked with some sail boat racers and was informed that the track the boats in the harbor were running was very abnormal, the multi-lap racing and the running of the race thru the channel and non triangular course.

Bob

> I

>have checked with some sail boat racers and was informed

>that the track the boats in the harbor were running was very

> abnormal,

Since it appears NSPN has an annual trip to Casco Bay, the following may be of value for future reference. The MS Harborfest held in Portland is the largest sailing regatta in Maine and has been held for over 20 years. It is generally held this time in August. A chart with the courses is on-line as is other information concerning the event. There are numerous classes and potential courses. Wandering about lower Casco Bay unaware of this event is not a good thing.

I suppose it is fortunate the trip was not on Sunday as the Tugboat Muster part of the event was held on that day. Stumbling into the path of tugboats racing would not be pretty. BTW, watching the Tugboat Muster is great fun.

Ed Lawson

Yes they covered all of our route very nicely, watching them come between the islands, running with the wind and knowing we would be fighting the wind was a tiring thing to see at lunch. Every year I pick a diffrent weekend for the trip and every year we find something that causes little hiccups in it from road races to triathalons to sail boat regatta's. I think it might just be because it is a nice place to be every weekend.

Bob

I would hazard to stick my neck out and say that crossing Casco Bay cannot be a level 2 trip by definition -- "a landing place within one mile" (or some such wording)? It can only be described as level 3, if you go into the trip level definitions.

Secondly, what is a level 2 minus? I have heard talk of re-defining trip levels, but there is no such thing mentioned in the above same place -- only "level 2" and "level 3".

"Inner" Casco Bay can be quite daunting at times, what with plenty of boat traffic in summer, ships coming and going, channel markers everywhere and lots of fetch from the south. Treat it with care.

By the way, you call Fort Gorges "ancient"? It's positively brand-new, compared with, say, Rheims cathedral!

>

>By the way, you call Fort Gorges "ancient"? It's positively

>brand-new, compared with, say, Rheims cathedral!

I am surprised you did not use Canterbury cathedral as a reference point or perhaps Stonehenge, but I suppose with the EU and all...

In addition to the factors you mention, there are a few areas around Fort Georges where current, ledges, tide levels and wind in the right combination can create abit of "texture" which can be augmented by boat traffic. I believe the trip was posted as a level 3 which seems appropriate for the reason you gave.

My personal and highly prejudiced view is that unless you need to transit the place to get somewhere; there is no redeeming value in the area during a typical summer weekend.

Ed Lawson

Bob's trip was posted as Level 3 which was, as Ed indicates, appropriate. The conditions Bob reports are at the upper end of the Level 3 guidelines for wind (15 KTS).

The use of "+" and "-" is not official; it's just a way some use to indicate whether the trip is likely to be at the upper end or lower end of the guidelines.

More generally, with so many factors in the trip level ratings, they are guidelines and should be considered the starting point for considering whether the trip is appropriate to you. Consider the possibilities of specific conditions before you decide to join a trip: don't just go by a number. Ask the trip leader before the trip and at the beach if you have questions.

In NSPN, it is your responsibility to decide if you are comfortable with the conditions and the possibility they may change. Remember, there is no guarantee the trip conditions will turn out to be within the trip's ratings.

Scott

Actually, level 2+ has been added as an official distinction to separate out trips for very early beginners from trips for those who have some ability to go a bit longer and faster. They both fall under the level 2 category, but having level 2 and level 2+ trips allows participants with the broad range of expectations covered by level 2 skills to be more content on their trip.

-Dee