Practice at Walden Pond

Gcosloy

I'd be up for practice at Walden Pond, but can usually only make it on weekends-rarely can I sneak out of work early enough to get on the water. I'm new to kayaking, but took Karen Knight's kayaking class a couple of weeks ago in which we learned some rescue techniques and would welcome the opportunity to practice them if you don't mind working with a beginner.

Anyone interested in having practice sessions at Walden Pond like those that occur at Mystic Lake and Lake Chebacco? I work in Cambridge, but live near Walden Pond and can't take my boat to work so it's virtually impossible for me to make the Mystic/Chebacco practice sessions.

Renee

I might be interested in practicing at Walden Pond if a group can get together. I haven't been able to get to the Tues or Thurs sessions because of distance and the time I get out of work. Walden Pond is still about an hour away, but closer than the other lakes.

I often go on Wednesdays and Fridays if weather is suitable. The general atmosphere at Walden is that people help one another but that there's no structured classes. If I'm there I'd be willing to help anyone with the roll he/she's working on. And I am grateful for help with my rolls. I use a Greenland paddle for my seakayak but also paddle whitewater with a Euroblade so I can help with either.

Not sure about tomorrow (6/28) as t-storms are predicted, but if they hold off I plan to go. You are welcome to email me to find out if I'll be there on any given day. But generally if the weather is good Wed and Fri are the days I get wet.

Kate

Hey Gene, I was planning on going this week but work has gotten in the way of my fun again :) I work only a couple miles from Walden though and definitely plan on going at least once next week . . . maybe next Thursday weather permitting if you're up for it . . . Kate and I had discussed some practice there as well . . . Tonight is the Mystic practice if you're up for that!

I have a suggestion. Walden Weds. and Fri. evenings say 5:00PM Anyone can show up until they close the ramp which is currently 7:30PM. As the days are longer I hope they might revise that and stay open later. This should not conflict with Mystic or Chebacco and people who are interested would know there is a pretty good chance others will be there as well. (Practice solo really isn't too much fun!) As far as weekends or weekdays earlier I'm potentially free to meet people if they send me an email. Thunderstorms or heavy downpours, of course, and all bets are off!

Gene

That sounds great! I have a good chance of making it on Fridays. Can someone send out details/directions about the location of the put-in and parking?

Thanks!

Renee

>I have a suggestion. Walden Weds. and Fri. evenings say

>5:00PM Anyone can show up until they close the ramp which is

>currently 7:30PM. As the days are longer I hope they might

>revise that and stay open later. This should not conflict

>with Mystic or Chebacco and people who are interested would

>know there is a pretty good chance others will be there as

>well. (Practice solo really isn't too much fun!) As far as

>weekends or weekdays earlier I'm potentially free to meet

>people if they send me an email. Thunderstorms or heavy

>downpours, of course, and all bets are off!

>Gene

Keep in mind when planning to visit Walden that on really nice sunny hot days, the pond is frequently closed when the maximum number of visitors is reached. Also it may be better to use the back roads instead of Route 2 on busy days.

Ralph Cohn

White SOF

Elaho DS, blue & white with yellow trim

Rain 100% w/storms predicted this afternoon, so I will not be at Walden. Let's try for Friday. I generally get there around 4:30 pm. Looking forward to meeting you all (and seeing Ralph and Miriam again)!

kate

It wil be nice to see you and you can see Miriam's new qajaq (you should be able to squeeze into it). Dan was the only one who somhow mangaged to wriggle into it last Sunday.

Ralph Cohn

Elaho DS, blue & white with yellow trim

Around 4:30PM the sky brightened and the sun came out briefly. I decided to go up to Walden just in case anyone showed. No one did and after a half hour I took the long trip home (6 miles down the road-if gas prices don't moderate I'm thinking bike and kayak trailer.) Let's try for Friday folks.

Gene

I couldn't make it today, but am planning on going Friday (boss is on vacation so, when the cat's away.....). Fingers crossed for better weather this weekend than last weekend!!

Renee