Exeter:

- www.exeterelms.com

- The Green Gate Inc., (no web?) (603) 778-0226

Newfields:

- www.nebsnow.com/greatbay

Raymond:

- www.pineacresrecreation.com

Guest _rick

Wakeda is visible on route one north of seabrook. saltmarsh right there. You always have salisbury reservation tent camping is available.

_rick

My plan is to launch from Salisbury and paddle north. So I don't want to camp too far south.

I am looking to commando camp (which is of course a way of saying that I am going camp after dark and leave at dawn) enroute.

So suggestions that are right on the water are what I am looking for.

Thanks,

Suz

You can paddle under the bridge and into the Rye Harbor State Park. The north end of the park looks fairly secluded on Google Maps. It would be easy to drive there & check it out. If you can’t walk there easily, no one else can…

I have been there before and it might be possible to land there. VERY rocky - the kind that they use to make big breakwaters. I suspect if there were conditions, it might be a difficult landing zone. Plus very open up at the park.

Suz

I mean way back up in the estuary to the NNW of Rye Harbor. It's a salt marsh leading up to the woods. You could only do it at high tide. Paddle under 1a and take an immediate left toward the north end of the park. Leave your boat in a mosquito control ditch if you have to. There probably isn't much vegetation yet. Check out the map and satellite views on Google Maps.

When are you planning to go?

a little humor

It had me wondering as I come from a backpacking background...to go "hiking commando" means hiking sans underwear.

When camping discrectly in a non designated place it is often refered to as "Stealth camping" at least in hiking language..

I figured for sure you meant the later of the two phrases...

Don,

Girls gotta have some secrets...

Spider,

Do any kayakers wear underwear? I guess if that is the term, I always go commando when kayaking:)

What I am looking to do is stealth camping in a place where I won't attract too much attention.

Paula,

Mama knows and is pissed as it is my Dad's b-day weekend and they were going to have a celebration along with the holiday celebration. But I have had this on my schedule for months now.

I have never paddled that little stretch of coastline between Salisbury and Hampton so am unfamiliar with secret spots to set up. I haven't bought that chart yet either as the Map Tech one is that weird one where it is all stretched out. As I haven't spent enough time on the water yet this spring and so am unsure if I could make it to Wood although that was my destination if I could. Maybe someone with a GPS could check to see what the distance would be on the water from Salisbury Beach reservation to Wood Island.

Suz

Suz... looks like around 15nm give or take a bit hugging the coast from Salisbury up to Wood Is per my digital charts.

Have fun!

> I could

>rescue you and boat and bring you to my place

Hmmmm. Suggesting you will break into the Coast Guard brig after the patrol hauls her off the island? Just remember those folks go around the harbor with belted M60s and do not have wonderful senses of humor.

Ed Lawson

Trick is to land just as light fading, go low (bivy opposed to tent), no glow (ie no candle-lantern, headlamp, etc), cover boat with seaweed to disguise and off island at crack of dawn.

And if caught, heck, just start crying and make up a good excuse. There are some benefits to being a woman kayaker : - ))

Paula

NDK Exp-LV

VCP-Anas Acuta

But I was just soooo tired. Please let us stay. Couldn't make it to the campground...

Funny thing is if the first 15 miles puts you at Gerrish area, then the second would put you to Kennebunkport area. I was poking around on google earth as I am missing the chart for Cape Neddick to Cape Elizabeth and when it wouldn't let me zoom in, I remembered that is where the Bush compound is. So, looks to be a longer day there - have to get well on the other side before we can even think about stopping.

On closer inspection of Map Tech, I noticed that they don't make the chart between Cape Neddick to Cape Elizabeth. Does anyone know if the International Sailing charts are made for that area? I will go to West Marine today. Worse case I would have to get the Map Tech that covers Cape Ann to Cape Elizabeth - wrong scale but better than nothing I would think.

Suz

PS _- Gerry - thanks - I have your cell if I need!

There's camping in the Porcupine Islands just north of Kennebunkport.. check out the MITA book.

There is also camping on Vaughn Island in Cape Porpoise just north of George's place. It's a bit of a haul from Gerrish, about 22 NM.

Bill

Anas Acuta...White/White, Red Trim.

Avocet...Quill/White, Black Trim.

Avocet...Yellow Poly

Mega Cyclone...lots of colors

There are some Islands in Cape Porpoise that are part of the Maine Island Trail with a few that allow camping. They do require a permit that can be obtained from the police, they are private, owned by the Kennebunkport Conservation Trust. They do have stewards that keep an eye on the islands. I did a Leave No Trace class on the islands a few weeks ago. The campsites are in good shape even though they get heavy use.

jonathan

Suz... sorry, not the Porcupines but Cape Porpoise islands per Jonathan's post. They're now part of the MI trail. I have not personally camped there but have visited the sites and they're quite nice if a little close to civilization.

Suz,

I just wanted to say I think It is awesome that you are not afriad to "stealth camp", alot of people get so stuffy when they hear of that, whats the big deal, what are we harming if we do some leave no trace camping! What...we have to pay or get permits every time we want to pull up on shore and be with real nature.Often when we do, you end up with a commercialized rent a square of land with too many rules and noisy non nature respecting neighbors.I love your idea (I've done it often)of sliding in at last light and go incognito for the night. Enjoy!

Brad.