What's in your hatch(es)?-part 2, camping

gyork

Just for fun, and because many of us think about kayaking constantly, please share some of your non-basic, favorite items/ideas that you usually pack for your overnighters. Here are some of mine:

COOKING-license plate for stove base/heat shield/deflector; Heavy-duty aluminum foil sheets, folded for pot lid, heat shield/deflector, food warmer; Industrial paper towels (from work) for general cooking/personal clean-up.

SLEEPING/SHELTER-Pacific Outdoors inflatable (2 min) 25"x77" mattress(basic really, but new, untested gear for these old, long bones);

Several 10' sections of drapery cord (>$, but lighter) for guying tent/tarp.

CAMP COMFORT-(This may seem like an exaggeration, until you see what fits inside "School Bus")-lightweight tripod stool; folding, padded backrest/seat; full-size folding comfort chair (transported on back deck, covered with plastic bag). Yikes, I can't believe I just typed that; I may be paddling alone!

MISC-Multiple sturdy pastic grocery store bags (some are superior to others); Plastic paint drop "cloth" for keeping firewood/gear dry.

What's in/on your hatch/back deck?

Gary

Ok this is a very rough list, I'm going by memory and I'm older and more forgetful everyday.

Nothing goes on the deck except my chart, spare paddle, pump, etc... all the gear goes in the hatches

COOKING-stove, 8" outback oven, cookset, various meals individually packed with directions in zip lock bags, various accessories -sponge, mesh bag, towel (cotton for grabbing hot pots), zip lock bags, foil, etc....

SLEEPING/SHELTER- 10x14 silnylon tarp, tent (various models), sleeping bag, exped DAM (down air matress)

CLOTHING - all synthetic - short and long sleeve t-shirt, shorts/underwear/swim trunks, convertable pants, fleece, fleece hat, rain gear

CAMP COMFORT-crazy creek chair, lightweight hammock

MISC-camera, repair kit, small saw

It's pretty much my backpacking gear put into a bunch of dry-bags - except no pack.

The one thing I want to change is my tent. I have one that requires stakes to be driven in to stand up. I think MSR has a nice, light, one-person free-standing tent. That's the main "tweak" for my gear that I need to do.

The MSR pocket-rocket is my stove. I've seen a few intrepid gear-heads who used the jet boil, but I like the simplicity of the pocket-rocket.

>

>

>The one thing I want to change is my tent. I have one that

>requires stakes to be driven in to stand up.

Consider a tarp. Wonderful shelter in terms of adapting to many situations and brings you close to nature is so many ways.

Sometimes that is good, sometimes not so good; but better than a tent most of the time. I mean unless its raining or black fies are swarming, why do you need anything but a ground cloth anyways?

Ed Lawson

>Uh, in northern NE, something is ALWAYS swarming ;-))

That's one of the things I miss about the San Francisco/Bay Area. I bought my car in June of 2001 (in California) and it never had bug splatter on it until I moved back to New England. I lived in the Bay Area for 7 years and I think I saw an average of one mosquito per year. Anyhow... I have a new opponent... the green head fly. I swear, if I have a wet suit and gloves on and the only exposed area of skin is my ankles, when I get back home I'll have a nice ankle bracelet of greenhead fly bites.

Anyhow... I picked up one of these today from Hilton's Tent City in Boston:

http://www.sierradesigns.com/tents.display.php?id=45

They have discounts of AMC members. I forget what I paid but it was under $125. There was another more expensive tent but although it did have ventilation there was no way to look up/outside. There's enough room inside it to bring some gear inside with you.

Cheers, Joe