NHAMC Spring Whitewater School.

jason

White water is a great way to build rough water skills.

I took the NHAMC class last year and it was a ton of fun. They are a very nice/friendly group that takes the time every year to teach new paddlers.

NHAMC Paddlers

Spring Whitewater

Canoe and Kayak School

Friday-Sunday, April 13-15, 2007

http://www.nhamcpaddlers.org/events_school...oe_and_kaya.htm

-Jason

Thanks for the reminder Jason. Unfortunately, I tried to register this morning and the class is already filled. Oh well, maybe next year!

Yeah, that's what I found out! I'd been meaning to sign up but kept forgetting to do it. I'm putting it in my calendar for next Jan 1.

• 2 years later...
Yeah, that's what I found out! I'd been meaning to sign up but kept forgetting to do it. I'm putting it in my calendar for next Jan 1.

If you haven't yet taken the HM AMC Whitewater school it's almost time to sign up.

It's a great class that many NSPN paddlers have taken. When the wind is blowing you can head inland and not worry about 40knot winds keeping you off the water...

Last year I volunteered to be a safety boater and may do so again this year.

The class fills up so I would recommend signing up early.

-Jason

"Class II Whitewater Paddling School

Date: 04/09/2010 - 04/11/2010

Class II whitewater instruction for paddlers comfortable in flatwater and quickwater. Our experienced members give individual instruction in safety, river reading, equipment, paddling skills, rescue, and an introduction to advanced whitewater skills. Centered on a weekend of instruction in Henniker and a nearby river, a preliminary session on equipment and wet exit practice in a pool as well as follow on instructional trips, skill building, and basic whitewater rescue are required parts of the course. The instructors provide a supportive environment helping you progress at the speed with which you are comfortable. Students may choose solo canoe, tandem canoe, or kayak. Equipment is provided.

PaddlingActivity Category: Paddling, Instruction (Skills)

Region: New Hampshire, Merrimack Valley

State: NH

"

http://www.nhamcpaddlers.org/

I took this class last year and then did 4 trips with the NHAMC paddlers. This course is fantastic (Jason was our safety boater for my group....rescued me several times....Thanks )

The course stays on Class II whitewater and while very challenging, is not as dangerous as many people perceive whitewater to be. Safety is #1. the course starts on flat water and progresses slowly over two days into moving water that is Class I and II.

The skills you learn in this course will definitely improve your sea kayaking skills.

My schedule is unclear at this point, but I plan to volunteer in some capacity for the school, be it shuttling paddlers, or whatever.

I took this class last year and then did 4 trips with the NHAMC paddlers. This course is fantastic (Jason was our safety boater for my group....rescued me several times....Thanks )

The course stays on Class II whitewater and while very challenging, is not as dangerous as many people perceive whitewater to be. Safety is #1. the course starts on flat water and progresses slowly over two days into moving water that is Class I and II.

The skills you learn in this course will definitely improve your sea kayaking skills.

My schedule is unclear at this point, but I plan to volunteer in some capacity for the school, be it shuttling paddlers, or whatever.

Sounds like fun...thanks for the heads up

Whitewater is a lot of fun. I have found with the sea background, you will find your skills develop very quickly. I have also found the whitewater skills have enhanced many of my sea kayaking strokes, balance, water reading, etc. After the workshop, if anyone still has interest in paddling rivers, im often in western ma paddling.. Millers, Deerfield, Westfield, West, Farmington, etc. anything from class 2-class 4. Ill be happy to guide some folks when that time comes.

Cheers

John

Whitewater is a lot of fun. I have found with the sea background, you will find your skills develop very quickly. I have also found the whitewater skills have enhanced many of my sea kayaking strokes, balance, water reading, etc. After the workshop, if anyone still has interest in paddling rivers, im often in western ma paddling.. Millers, Deerfield, Westfield, West, Farmington, etc. anything from class 2-class 4. Ill be happy to guide some folks when that time comes.

Cheers

John

White water is a great way to paddle in conditions plus when it's blowing too much to have fun in the long boats most rivers are sheltered from the winds that we get off shore.

This spring Mark introduced me to the Quaboag, and that is currently my favorite river. It's close it's clean, but it has a bit of urban character. The river has a number of fun features and it's a munch longer run than the class III section of the Wini ( BTW the http://www.mvpclub.org/ is doing their annual new years day run, this Friday with a dinner to follow). I love the Wini but it's like skiing you need to keep on shuttling back to the top and doing it again (someone should setup a shuttle service I know that I would pay).

The concord ( http://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/.../detail/id/680/ ) is also a nice river in terms of location but it seems to be dirty (trash, broken bottles, people camped out on the side of the river etc) to make me want to run out and do it again.

The P-Cat is a great river for people to learn on it's an easy class II run that is fairly close to the north shore. If you can't make the AMC classes paddling this with someone that knows WW and can guide & rescue is a great way to go.

-Jason

Boston AMC holds 2 or 3 beginner WW sessions in June & July. If someone misses the NH AMC classes or doesn't have the immersion gear you need to paddle in April these are great. Because the water is warmer you do have the opportunity to push your limits a little further without risking hypothermia. Boston also has a larger and newer rental fleet, which is a plus if you don't own your own gear.

Regardless of where you get your training it is amazing to see the progression that people make from Saturday morning to Sunday afternoon.

Boston AMC also has 5 week rolling sessions in Arlington & Watertown starting in February.

http://trips.outdoors.org/index.cfm

• 2 months later...

If anyone didn't get in to this weekends NH whitewater school the Boston amc sessions have been scheduled:

Dates:

Series A : Pond: June 22, 24 River trip: June 26-27

Series B : Pond: July 6,8 River trip: July 10-11

Series C : Pond: July 13, 15 River trip: July 17-18

Experience the excitement of whitewater kayaking in a fun and supportive environment with an outstanding group of paddlers. Students will learn basic kayak strokes, maneuvers, and water safety skills on a local pond in Concord, then travel to the river during a weekend trip for a two-day instructional trip on Class 1-2 whitewater. Beginner Instructionals are taught in accordance to American Canoe Association (ACA) standards for Whitewater Kayaking. Students must be comfortable on and in the water and able to transport their own gear.

Course fees for instruction and boat rental is $150 for AMC members and $170 for non-AMC members. (If you have your own whitewater boat and gear, subject to safety inspection, subtract $60 from the fee.) Camping and meals for the weekend river trip (~$50) are not included.

To apply contact Packy at AMCKayak©aol.com

If anyone didn't get in to this weekends NH whitewater school

Having looked at some of the local rivers in NH over the weekend I suspect those who took the NH course had no shortage of excitement.

Ed Lawson

Having looked at some of the local rivers in NH over the weekend I suspect those who took the NH course had no shortage of excitement.

Ed Lawson

The NH AMC class will be this weekend the 10th/11th.

Sunday they normally run the Sugar river:

http://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/.../1187/#tab-flow

The flow tab will show it's back down to the "Low to medium" range.

-Jason