Hoiday wish list

Gcosloy

Interesting but disappointed to see that it has no GPS, no digital compass, no barometer, no windspeed indicator, no heart rate monitor ;-)

in addition to the features you mention carl, it is clearly lacking a "sponsons" feature.

and for those that eschew advances (things like walking upright, indoor plumbing and euro paddles to name a few) there is still the opportunity to "go native" a la fred flintstone...yabba-dabba-dufus.

http://www.futurefarmers.com/survey/watch.php

Do you two actually talk to each other when you're home or do you just bury your faces in your laptops and message each other on the forum? (ducking)

Cheers, Joe

Hi, Bill:

That looks like a nice unit for a PFD, and it's on sale. Do you have one? If so, two questions...

* how secure is that biner gate? -- it's unclear from the picture.

* will the biner part fit over a PFD strap?

* how easy is it to switch among the functions? Is it one or maybe two button pushes, or more complex. My little brain and clumsy fingers can only handle so much, especially on the water, and most especially with gloves on.

OK, three. Oh, one more...

> Water Resistant to 30 meters

That's the minimum -- many wrist units are rated to 100 meters, especially those aimed at divers. Any problems with repeatedly dunking it?

--David.

Gene, Timex makes a cheaper clone that's at Campmor online for $20! Bought one last week. Unfortunaltely the thermometer requires several minutes immersion to chase water temp. Someday I'll figure out the tides "ring", etc. It comes in silver or black, as well a similar model with a barometer for $30.

Keep well.

Ern

I *think* the ADCs do have a very minimal sort of compass: one of the anemometer blades is magnetized and colored differently from the others, so holding the thing level, out of the wind, will at least orient you to North. So, if you're paddling in conditions, and you want to take a bearing, and you like a real challenge ...

For those who may be considering the ADC series mainly for their weather tools, the Kestrel line is also excellent and worth looking into:

http://www.nkhome.com/ww/wwindex.html

Yes, the Kestrel 2500 or 3500 are excellent units. You give up the digital compass, but you get a anemometer, that can be used for wind speed and water current speed. They also offer a new version of these models with the "NV" designation, that use a red back light to preserve your night vision.

The Kestrels do look nice. I imagine purists would say that you can get all the information you need about the wind from observing the various Beaufort Scale features. But it might be nice to have a gauge.

On the other hand, what I really want it for is the big three -- time, temp and barometric pressure. As for barometric pressure, I see the Kestrels that have it plot a trend for only for 3 hours, much less than other units I've seen. Is that enough? Also, is it a real plot, or just an indication of "rising rapidly, rising, steady, falling, falling rapidly" as the data sheet seems to indicate.

Seems like 3 hours and a rough indicator would be OK for relatively quick-changing events, like an incoming storm, but not enough for mid-term things, like tonight or tomorrow's weather, which you might want on a multi-day trip.

Never having used a barometer much on the water, I'm not sure. Anybody?

--David.

I can only speak for the Kestrel 4000, which can automatically take and store a ton of readings, and I believe you can set the reading intervals to taste. Mine is set to take them hourly, and currently it still charts data going back to Nov 30 -- so, about 10 days' worth of hourly readings. Also, with optional software, the data can be uploaded to computer, if that's of interest.