Outward Bound canoeists rescued after capsizing

bazzert

According to the Mass Bay Buoy A, the winds at 11am were 12 knots with gusts to 15 knots, then decreasing some as the afternoon wore on. Not passing judgement, just clarifying the facts.

My guess is that these were canoes since there were 4 boats and 11 people.

They had a rescue boat, life jackets and were in fairly protected water. My guess is that a boat wake would be more likely to be the cause of the capsize than the wind. We weren't there and everybody made it back.

I don't think that it's fair to say that they exercised "Poor judgment" since we don't know the facts.

I should be out paddling and not 2nd guessing other people's judgment.

-Jason

Well excuuuuuuuse me! What more do you want to me to know fact wise before I express my opinion?

Here is what the Boston Globe said:The canoeists were off the eastern shore of the island, between Squantum and Long Island, at about 11:30 a.m. when wind caused several canoes to capsize, according to the Coast Guard. A safety boat, the Boston Fire Department, a BFI Waste Systems employee, and school-affiliated on-shore observers called for help on their cell phones. All the participants were wearing life jackets and were plucked from the water by the school's instructors and Boston Fire Department as a Coast Guard helicopter hovered overhead, according to school officials. Boston Fire said that one man rescued was "semi-coherent" and freezing.

Poor judgement is just my opinion, others are certainly welcome to offer alternative opinions. What I find puzzling is the tendency to attempt to censor the opinions of others which may reflect badly on others. You can always ask for more facts before offereing an opinion. I think that is merely a polite ploy to pressure people to keep their negative opinions to themselves. "I wasn't born a misanthrope, I became one only after decades of observation."-anon.

>Poor judgement is just my opinion, others are certainly

>welcome to offer alternative opinions.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and here, it seems, one must expect conflicting opinions as a way of life.

> What I find puzzling

>is the tendency to attempt to censor the opinions of others

>which may reflect badly on others.

Consider the possibility that some, if not many, here are well aware of the bullets they dodged by dumb luck and that "but for the grace of God go they." As a result they may well be hesitant to pass judgement on the travails of others and even to be somewhat defensive on their behalf.

Ed Lawson

>

>Consider the possibility that some, if not many, here are

>well aware of the bullets they dodged by dumb luck and that

>"but for the grace of God go they." As a result they may

>well be hesitant to pass judgement on the travails of others

>and even to be somewhat defensive on their behalf.

>Ed Lawson

I take your point. Perhaps my own conservative attitude toward the sea has made me more willing to look askance at those who embrace more risk.