A modest proposal

Gcosloy

There exists two forums for self examination with regard to ones paddling skills. One of course is the practice sessions held at Mystic or Chebbaco and the other is the informal S&G's which sometimes posits a level, like L2 or L3. Over and above this are S&G's which increasingly suggest trips looking for surf. I'd like there to be a formal or informal mechanism to provide support for competent paddlers who for whatever reason have hitherto avoided contact with white water either offshore or dumping on shore. I'd like to learn to appreciate this part of our sport but am hesitant to simply join a S&G and wind up being everyone's rescue toy that day. Any suggestions or am I being too conservative.

I can take or leave surfing, participating because some of my friends do and for skill practice.

On most of the trips I provoke (note omission of word lead) we paddle to various points and sometimes take in swells, etc. as they come. At each of these points you can choose to wait while others participate or dip in a bit and see how it goes. The main thing to consider is you are up to the potential distance or open water conditions you are likely to be exposed to, that is inescapable. Most will give you a frank description of the expected conditions if you ask.

You can usually contact the poster with the e-mail icon in the message.

I undertand Gene's concern about being a "rescue toy"--I've been timid about venturing into challenges, to avoid making people divert to my aid. (gotta say how generous everyone has been during lake sessions and leader training)

So, for veterans like Bob, how do you feel about fishing out people who're pushing their envelope?

tom

I for one don't feel comfortable enough with my bracing skills (esp w/ a new 'yak) to venture into much whitish water yet. So no, I don't think you're being too conservative, Gene.

If you're keen to experiment with more challenging conditions one excellent way to do it is to sign up for classes, either BCU stuff or more specialized surf or rock garden classes. Check the commercial section of the website or ask other paddlers at the beach and I'm sure a few names will pop up repeatedly.

In a training session you are there as a student, and you have a teacher willing to show you stuff, evaluate your skill level, give you pointers, and get you out of trouble if you get in over your head. Worth it!

Myself, I wouldn't like to see the Show and Go format get too gummed up with ratings and structures. I prefer it as is, loose and informal.

And I know what it feels like to be the rescue dummy! ;^)

As a suggestion, if you're looking for easy surf conditions, you might look for S&G trips from Conomo Point out to Crane's Beach, on calm days. It's a short trip, flat water out to the mouth of the bay, and if it's too lumpy for you outside, you can play inside or just sit on the beach and watch the gang have fun getting trashed!

Rob

Thanks for raising this question. It is reflective of my thoughts as well - not wanting to hold up others while I worked on skill building and not wanting to push the envelop if I did not think there was someone around who would be of help if I got into trouble. (just having someone knowing what I am doing is very supportive!)I have taken several clinics inc rocks and legdes, surf etc BUT it is hard to gain experience on my very nice, but flat, lake.

Kevin's s&g for tomorrow is just what I have in mind..going to a place with the intention of practicing. To this end, I have been planning on posting a s&g with focus on skill building and increasing comfort level in surf off the shore of Cape Cod..Nauset inlet just below Coast Guard beach. My thought is to do this next Sunday as some of us will be there on Saturday for the Monomoy paddle. Tides are very favorable for the to/from paddle across Nauset Marsh. (check "private trips" sunday night)

Perhaps others would also facilitate practice s&g's. I would do others but I do not know the area around Cape Ann at all. I have paddled Nauset.

maryb

Explorer LV rail blue/white

Mystic yellow/white

(on top of a white motor-hut!!! lol)

If someone needs assistance I would expect that anyone I paddle with to be willing to assist them as needed. This is not meant to encourage or discourage anyone to join a particular group. As far as that goes, you need to make an honest assessment of where a group is going and whether you belong there. There's nothing wrong with being the "new kid on the block" as long as you don't significantly deter the others from their goals. That's your end of the bargain, you should feel you can keep up. There is often an option to stop somewhere and wait for the stronger paddlers to return, though this is less of an option in colder weather if you aren't prepared for an extended stay out of the water.

The univeral truth is that everybody, at some point, capsizes, everybody swims, and everybody needs to be rescued, even the very best paddlers among us, so there's certainly no shame in it. If you're not capsizing, swimming, and being resued, and otherwise putting yourself in "harm's way" then you're not challenging yourself to learn the skills to either keep you up and recover when you do go over.

I spent three hours short-boating in three foot surf yesterday and didn't capsize. I'm not happy about that. It was surf reasonable enough to take some risks in, but I didn't. I can do better that just survive in it, and should work toward that end . . .

As to getting into those conditions, like Bob says, approach those onthe S&G and be up front. Speaking for myself, I wouldn't mind all that much having a "rescue dummy" along on some of these trips. Those are skills to be practiced, too, providing a reasonable venue and suffiient skilled paddlers at hand for support. I don't think it should be something that's automatically shied away from . . . I may be throwing a meatball here, but I think the more seasoned in the paddling community could stand to do more of this in an informal way, mentor newer paddlers along on S&G's in real conditions. There's only so much that can be done in the safety of a lake session. I mean, I guess it's a personal choice, but, fear and liability seem to be the first consideration before anything else . . .

> I think the more seasoned in the

>paddling community could stand to do more of this in an

>informal way, mentor newer paddlers along on S&G's in real

>conditions.

Bingo! I think this has happened during the S&G trips this year to some extent. However, there are only so many days people have to paddle and to spend one of those days on a mentoring trip is not an easy choice for those seasoned folks. So the question might be more in the nature of why do they feel inclined or not to volunteer that day and what needs to be done to encourage them.

> There's only so much that can be done in the

>safety of a lake session.

To throw more meat on the fire or whatever, as valuable as all those skill sessions are and no matter how skilled one becomes there, the reality is it would not make one a proficient or ultimately a safe paddler on the ocean. For that, you have to go out on the ocean and learn to paddle in and understand that environment. While professional instructors can enable a person to do things beyond what they might attempt/do themselves during a class session, as important and valuable as those moment are they are still fleeting moments and do not represent increased paddling abilities. It is only by time productively spent on the water, hopefully with more skilled/knowledgeable mentors, that a person becomes a proficient and safe paddler.

Something seems amiss when there are folks who have gone to many lake skills sessions, say they have learned to roll and have practiced all kinds of rescues, but are fearful of joining modest trips on the ocean as has been expressed on this forum from time to time.

Ed Lawson

The idea that, gee, my bracing really isn't up to the challenge, only means that what one needs is more challenge. So, seek those conditions in as safe and controlled a manner as possible. Fail, swim, and repeat.

I once heard someone at a lake session advise someone quite storngly not to practice their roll, because they had poor form, and if they kept practicing they'd make poor form and bad habits permanent. A ponderous notion to me. How does one go from poor form to proper form, but through practice? Once can take all the professional lessons they want, get all the pointers and tips, but for lack of practicing what they're taught, they're not going to get it down. Teachers can teach a thing, but people also have to learn a thing.

All there need be is a spirit of detemination and adventure . . .

As someone who has posted ample SNGs this year of all levels, I'd like to note that those who post them understand that when they solicit company, that they will potentially get people of all skill levels (I do offer a guide by posting levels, though). To that end, I always expect to rescue someone when I go out and never consider it a burden. In fact, I love the practice! Typically my practice involves mentioning I'd like to do a rescue to Gilly, who is then out of her boat before I can finish my sentence;) These instance are fun and good practice, but they lack the element of surprise, which can often make or break a rescue. My advice would be to go on the SNGs and if you have concerns, raise them with the person who has posted. More often than not you'll receive an honest assessment.

Now the other side of the coin. As a newbie, I was in the same boat, not wanting to be a burden to those with whom I paddled. I soon found out that I was wrong, since most had the opinion that I stated above. When I realized that, I stopped worrying about it, started challenging myself more and began developing faster. Kayaking is a social, supportive sport, quite contrary to my orginal impression of it. Embrace that feature.

Gene,

Provided you have a helmet, judgment, and are dressed and prepared for immersion., a surf session would be great for you no matter what your level. With a “traditional “ S&G trips, all participants pass through the same conditions and cover the same number of miles, so a participant who feels that he or she can’t keep up or can’t handle conditions has legitimate concerns for affecting the group, In a surf session, you don’t have to do what everybody else does, or worry about holding up others ; If getting into the white water and breaking stuff makes you uncomfortable, you can just practice launching and landing in surf. (Landing in surf is different from surfing: you don’t ride the waves in, you follow the waves in.) Then you can find a zone out there where you’re comfortable, just explore the effect of waves on your boat. It’s a great chance to expose yourself to bigger conditions all in a circumscribed area, where you can push the envelope just a bit, and bail when you please. You can try a wave or two as your judgment and comfort level dictate , and if you wet exit, you just hold the stern toggle and follow your boat into shore, regroup, rest, whatever, and out you go again. Fun!

And, if you should find that it’s all too much for you, you just go to shore and you’re good: no holding up the group , changing float plan, or anything else.

Nahant would be a great choice for that first exposure to surf and white water . It’s easy to launch from, as waves don’t dump at the shore, it’s got a sandy bottom, and the break zone is a good ways from shore. If there’s a session there, there will be experienced paddlers who would happily give you advice.

Along with Kevin's response, this is well said.

Speaking as a newbie, I have been struggling with exactly this same thought: am I taking away from other's enjoyment of the SNG or trip by my not being up to their level of skills. I now realize that this is a common thought. Everyone keeps reminding me that they were once newbies and the only way to learn is to challenge oneself. I know that those times where I have capsized unexpectadly were always greated by friendly words and lots of offers for help. As Kevin has stated, we all need to practice rescues also.

I think part of the anxiety is that when a newbie attends a practice session or SNG that most of you are practicing a roll or two and that not having one makes one think they might be a burden as they would need a rescue or take time with a self-rescue. But now I see (and hear) that rolling is just one skill; rescues are another set of skills, as are strokes, braces, etc.

So, in a true sense, my newbie capsizes are a help to the rest of the group in that there is practice in either rescuing or talking one through the attending anxiety. For a trip, however, I am cognizant that the responsibility is on me to determine if the conditions are above my skills and therefore I would, at a minimum, be imposing on the rest of the group. This is what practice sessions are for, improve ones skills and therefore be able to join a trip or most SNG's without taking away from the goals of the trip.

Some SNG's, such as yesterday's surfing at Nahant, were like a practice session to me. I went off to one side to practice what was new to me (everything!) without a fear that I was in the way or a burden. Yet when I did capsize, there seemed to always be someone nearby to shout "hip flick" or other words of encouragement.

No one likes being the newcomer, but of the many hobbies I have I must say that NSPN has been very welcoming, very encouraging, and has quickly made me realize that the "being a burden" anxiety is only that, it really does not exist in actuality. Not to say that there might be a paddler who is a burden to others but doesn't care or isn't aware. I know, just from a safety perspective, that most of you would be quick to point this out to such a person.

So, the next time you see me capsize, remember to thank me.

Brian

P&H Capella 163

Red/White/Black trim

If you feel apprehensive about inconveniencing others if you need to be rescued , keep in mind that most experienced paddlers practice rescues regularly, enjoy rescue practice, and secretly or not, relish the opportunity to ply their rescue skills in real conditions. Maybe there’s something wrong with me, but I think rescues are fun. ( to paraphrase Mel Rice of Carpe Diem Kayaking: “I love rescues”)

As far as mingling with more experienced paddlers & screwing up their lives, don’t worry too much. Trips where participants want to ensure everyone is at the same skill level, or simply want to paddle with whom they feel comfortable, tend to be organized privately, and you won’t hear about them till they’re over, anyway. For S&G’s, people show and they go, so there’s an implicit lack of control over who’s in the group, which in turn implies flexibility. In my experience, when there’s either an uncomfortable ratio of unexperienced to experienced paddlers, or if there are paddlers who have not met before and don’t really know each others skill level, the float plan may be altered to accommodate the group.

With real paddlers, everybody comes back.

A very few paddlers cultivate the impression that they squirted out onto the delivery table with an off side roll and able to paddle 26 miles in 4 foot seas, but the vast majority of experienced paddlers still recall that they were once inexperienced themselves, once didn’t know what an NDK Explorer was, and will be happy to help you, or rescue you, or whatever else brings everybody back with a smile on their face.

The only way for an experienced paddler to become experienced is to cross paths with those more experienced than they.

Exactly, Peter.

And, BTW, I learned what an NDK Explorer was from the two nicely dressed young persons who showed up at my front door one day. Along with their informative literature and their gracious invitation to "just join us for a little friendship", I found that I didn't need to eat or sleep for three (or was it four?) days. Now I know, now I see the light, now I am with you. NDK, NDK, NDK. You are my friends. NDK.

Brian (ignore my signature lines - those on the straight and right wave know the truth.)

P&H Capella 163

Red/White/Black trim

I've been paddling for years now---first a canoe, then a whitewater kayak and now a sea kayak---what someone said above is true---when you venture into white water, either on a river or the ocean, just for the fun of getting tossed around and riding the waves, you can expect ultimatly to be dumped and even with a really good roll to take the occasional swim. It happens to everybody so you shouldn't be embarassed about it.---this differs from the tour around the bay or even a multi-day or multi-week camping expedition where the risks are minimized by keeping an eye on the weather and avoiding those areas where there are breaking waves on the ocean and portaging around the rapids on rivers. My advice is to find some more advanced buddies to practice surfing with or perhaps sign up for a commercial course(check the net--they do exist) to break into this part of the sport.----also buy a helmet and have fun

"Trips where participants want to ensure everyone is at the same skill level, or simply want to paddle with whom they feel comfortable, tend to be organized privately, and you won’t hear about them till they’re over, anyway."

This is a major bingo.

For whatever the reasons, social, liability – who knows - the majority of paddling being done by those will all the skill and all the training is done pretty much wholly off the radar. There are essentially no open opportunities to learn from these folks in real non-contrived conditions and situations. It’s like this whole other world that exists unseen, like the X Files.

Obviously, the contributions that are made are major, but those are not the only ones needed, or even the most needed. It’s a club of majority sea kayakers, not lake skill session kayakers.

This is not a new issue. It’s been hashed out. It’s been this way for a long time. As newbies to the club, like three years ago, we were pretty much on our own to have experiences in the sea. Certainly, a little mentoring would have lessened the curve, but those opportunities – outside of a rigidly dictated official club experience – didn’t exist.

I don’t know . . . seems the sport is sort of maxed out, or fully developed or something. Just doesn’t seem like there’s a ton of people looking for paddling partners. The people that have them don’t seem to want new ones . . .