emergency/hypothermia kit ?

dsigall

Comrades,

I've started to put together a few things for a paddling emergency kit and I'm wondering what you experienced mariners would reccomend for say, 8-12 most essential emergency items for fall/early winter paddling around the North Shore. Of course the numer isn't important, I'm just looking for a collective sense of the items that have most commonly been of use when paddling plans are overtaken by events. As my friend Glen says about trouble: "Just when you least expect it... expect it"

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Dana

epoxy putty

heavy duty plastic garbage bags

knife

duct tape

dry bag- warm hat, thin gloves, long undies top and bottom

cag

flares

vhf

I have had occasion to use all of the above except the flares.

Suz

>epoxy putty

>heavy duty plastic garbage bags

>knife

>duct tape

>dry bag- warm hat, thin gloves, long undies top and bottom

I carry a complete change of clothing. Enough stuff in layers to keep warm in pretty cold weather all year round. Though you might not use it all in warmer seasons hyperthermia can result due to injury most any season. Every item is wool or synthetic, i.e. works when wet.

>cag

Also great for break time on colder days. Consider candle lantern that can be used inside the cag for someone who needs assistance warming up, not much heat is needed or safe.

Heat packs, especially rechargable types, for hands as well.

First aid kit (and a subject worthy of another thread)

In cooler weather, let alone cold, a thermos filled with something you enjoy drinking/eating is a very nice thing to have along. A small butane stove and teapot with cups, etc. can be handy for brewing up something hot for physical and mental well being as well.

You can get nice thermally efficient bivy bags which pack very small. I never leave shore without them or the stuff mentioned by others for that matter. Good to have a standard kit that includes this stuff, keep it in the dock box and just load it every time. Modify for seasons, but core is always loaded and always in same place. Afterall, most paddle touring boats and they need a little load to be at their design waterline anyway so whats a few pounds of gear.

Ed Lawson

hypo kit....dry bags with fleece undies tops and bottoms, a fleece vest, water/wind proof pants. fleece vest, hat, gloves. wool socks, merrel mocs. fleece weight depends on season. i can put the cag on over that all to keep the water/wind off of my core. all of that is xtra large to accomodate myself and most others should they get cold. if i were really worried about cold, i might stick a foam sleeping pad in the boat too...when you get out and sit on it, it further insulates you from the cold ground. except for the cag (which lives in the day hatch) all that is stuffed in the front/rear compartments cause i won't need them while on the water.

in the day hatch - in addition to the cag mentioned above - several hats, several gloves, a pair of mittens - in case i need them on the water. always have an igloo and a thermos with hot tang and a bite to eat.

the med kit includes heat packs.

when you say emergency kit, do you mean emergency repair kit or emergency "holy crap, the boat is sinking beneath me and let me grab this one bag" kit?

repair kit includes lots of things....pre-wrapped patches with plastic and denzo in several sizes.....multi tool, zip ties, self tapping wood screws, hand drill/screwdriver, DUCT TAPE, 'glass repair kit, variety of boat fitting (rdfs, buckles, webbing, line, assorted washers, nuts/bolts). almost always have float bags inflated in the boat.

emergency kit - don't have that "one bag" in the day hatch. if i had to grab one thing...i'd grab the radio but that already stuffed into the pfd....

As disgusting as it sounds, on a cold winter day after surfing, hot Tang is the elixir of the gods:) Just perfect to warm you back up. I was a naysayer for years until I was cold enough to give it a try.

Suz

> if

>i were really worried about cold, i might stick a foam

>sleeping pad in the boat too

Being able to insulate yourself or another from cold/wet ground/rock can be a very good thing. Closed cell form pads can also be used for all manner of things. I have taken to just keeping one stuck in the bow of my boat so I always have it.

When I first read all the stuff people talk about hauling around, it seemed a huge amount. Recently I took inventory of what is in the few bags I always dump into the boat and suddenly realized how much stuff there was in them. So to others also just starting out I have this comment. What these far more experienced folks are suggesting may sound like a lot, but as this beginner has discovered, it really does not take that much space or weigh that much either. Of course having it is meaningless without the knowledge/ability to use it appropriately. So don't just buy stuff, learn why, how, and when to use it too.

Ed Lawson

>when you say emergency kit, do you mean emergency repair kit

>or emergency "holy crap, the boat is sinking beneath me and

>let me grab this one bag" kit?

>

When I wrote that post I wasn't really distinguishing between emergencies- holy crap vs. hang nail. Just thought it would be helpful to see what few items most well prepared paddlers carry and maybe have had occasion to use.

Some day my hatches will be bursting with stuff to throw at any contingency above or below the water line but I've got to start somewhere: So far my kit is stocked with Tang, duct tape, tea cups and a change of underwear. I'm feeling invincible :-)

Dana

For fast warm up, some of the Brit gear is useful notably the nylon parachute like tent that they have. Pull it over a few people and see how fast things warm up. Many of us in the cold corner have added this not inexpensive item to our kits.

Locally we have been pretty happy with the cag that Ikelos makes. A solar powered shop. He can customize fits. Real basic, coated nylon, hand pockets.

But our friends in Sea Kayak Georgia have designed the Cadillac ( Lexus ) of cags. Features to numurous to list. You have to see one.

Besides the thermos, I toss a mini solid fuel stove into the back, one of those Tommy cookers. Material can be used to start a real fire or heat a cuppa.

Have matches and fire starting gear in a couple of places. Small and redudancy here can spare you a real bad time.