Tidal flows on a chart

sweier

Does anyone know of a website or source that would indicate with arrows the tidal ebb and flood on a chart. (Eldridge tidal book shows this for Long Island Sounds and Buzzards Bay) I am specifically looking for tidal flows around Cape Ann. I understand it may be difficult/impossible to find anything that is real detailed. I have never paddled in that area but will be headed up that way in the near future.

Thanks

Chip

NDK Explorer

>Does anyone know of a website or source that would indicate

>with arrows the tidal ebb and flood on a chart. (Eldridge

>tidal book shows this for Long Island Sounds and Buzzards

>Bay) I am specifically looking for tidal flows around Cape

>Ann. I understand it may be difficult/impossible to find

>anything that is real detailed. I have never paddled in

>that area but will be headed up that way in the near future.

>Thanks

>

>Chip

>NDK Explorer

There are no significant tidal flows around Cape Ann except for Blynman Canal, between Gloucester Harbor and the Annisquam (over 4 kts for a short run), the northern mouth of the Annisquam (up to about 1 kt) and the outer entrance to Gloucester harbor, around Dog Bar (less than 0.5 kts). I don't know where you can get details of those. Sorry, but I get my tides and currents from Maptech software these days, so I don't have a Reeds or Eldridge handy.

At Blynman Canal, 3-4 kts max as follows off of Boston Light high tide, approximately...

max ebb +2.5 hours

slack +6

max flood -3.5

slack -0.5

At the northern mouth of the Annisquam, the Light, 1 kt max...

max ebb +3.5

slack +7

max flood -3

slack +0.5

I've taken those tables and started to make current charts of the area around Nantucket Island.

If you have a good graphics program - get a good base map and then use arrows to designate the direction and strength of the tides, using these tables. (sort of a "roll your own" Eldridge chart)

Actually, it's an interesting proposition - if people are making current charts (maps), perhaps NSPN could put them into one place?

It does cover the whole northeast in terms of tide tables but it

doesn't have charts showing tidal flows with arrows for different stages of the ebb and flood tides.

Thanks for the feedback, good to know tide is only a factor in the Annisquam river or at Dog Bar.