Trip Level Question

EEL

Would a trip such at to Half Way Rock in Casco Bay be a level 4 trip regardless of conditions since you are more than one mile from any landing site? Does the one mile landing limit apply to any safe place to land as on an island or ledge that never coverseven if that place is itself a mile or more offshore, or does it assume ability to land within a mile where help/transportation to launch site/medical care? I recall it is the latter, but looking at routes in Casco made me think if so, then trips to say Jewell would by definiton level 4 even if sea state and wind were benign.

Ed Lawson

Ed,

It's always so subjective, even based upon the NSPN criteria. I'm not too familiar with the area in question but I always bump the level up if I can't clearly pick between two levels. So if I'm torn between L3 and L4, it becomes a L4. I would expect after looking at the chart for the area and the potential for conditions even if they start out benign, that it would classify as L4.

The trip would be level four. The distance to a safe landing is interpreted by some to mean a place where you can get to a road and by others simply as a place to get off the water where help can be called. For instance, crossings in Salem Sound can be carefully chosen such that you are never too far from an island but Baker's Island is too far from a road. In the end you would submit your float plan and see what level is accepted.

In case this is related to our trip on the 4th July weekend we went out there last weekend as a "private trip", not as an "official trip". Scott plans the "official trips" for the weekend so all paddlers in attendance can go along.

Bob's advice to submit a float plan refers to official trips only, although it is extremely good advice to have a float plan for any trip so that someone knows where you are, where you are going, and when you intend to return. Official trips can be led by NSPN trip leaders only, and only official trips require submission of a float plan.

We don't want anybody thinking that they need to submit a float plan to post a message on the "Private Trips" conference or to put a trip level on their private trip.

-Dee

>

>We don't want anybody thinking that they need to submit a

>float plan to post a message on the "Private Trips"

>conference or to put a trip level on their private trip.

>

Understood, but since many people seem to characterize themsleves or trips in accordance with NSPN trip levels, using them in private trip notices to give people a feel for the nature of the trip seems likely.

On the other hand, perhaps it should be discouraged with a view of requiring participants on private trips to exercise independent judgement.

My question arose as Gail and I paddled alongside of Bangs into wind and wave and she asked, pointedly, what level would this be? At that point I realized applying the abstract to the reality was not all that easy. So I asked.

Ed Lawson

Ed,

I think we should use the NSPN trip levels as a guide and not worry too much about people confusing SNGs with NSPN-sanctioned trips. For those who know how to read (which I'm pretty sure is most of us), it clearly states the distinction in the forum descriptions ;)

As I mentioned in my post, I always "round up" the trip level when I'm unsure. Without some way to classify the trip, it might be hard for many who have not paddled an area to judge whether it's for them before they actually have to show. When they do show up, then they must use individual judgment to determine if they agree with the original trip level stated in the SNG post. For me, I'd rather have someone disappointed that they can't go while reading the message board than having them show up for something only to find out it's not for them. For those who might be turned off by the level I have chosen, I'm sure I'll get a chance to paddle with them at another time.

to familiarize you with the area; travleing out of hussey channel N of peaks by pumpkin nob, it's over 7 miles e/se away...inner green island is a bit over half way there...it would be a very exposed paddled to any conditions.