PFD contents

What gear do people carry in their PFD's? I'm overhauling my PFD contents and wonder what people carry when: leading, participating and surf skiing.

Thanks in advance.

Josko,

This is a great question as I've found that my PFD can develop into that proverbial kitchen drawer with every gadget, trinket and must-have imaginable to paddling humankind. 

My current assemblage is married to the Astral Blue Jacket BlueJacket – Astral (astraldesigns.com) 

It has ample but not over the top storage via one good sized rigidified front pouch and two smaller discreet side pockets at the waist.

My only adjustment - I'll strip it down considerably if I'm destination surfing and launching right off the beach/parking.

On the outside: Hydration Pack, Radio, Watch, Whistle, Small Shoulder Light

Front Pocket: Handheld compass, knife, reflective signal mirror, suntan lotion for face and lips. Aspirin for potential cardiac issues. 4x6 instant hull repair. Quik Clot sponge. WFAA SOAP note form, waterproof pen, wax pencil

Left side pocket: Electrical tape, 1/4" bungee cords (2) with snugging device (temp skeg repair), 2 sheets of 2'x2' clear plastic (missing hatch cover replacement) 

Right side pocket (each individually sealed):  mini-waterproof headlamp, mini-laser signaling device

Yikes! But the good news is this all fits very comfortably.  

Cheers!

6 hours ago, David M said:

Josko,

This is a great question as I've found that my PFD can develop into that proverbial kitchen drawer with every gadget, trinket and must-have imaginable to paddling humankind. 

My current assemblage is married to the Astral Blue Jacket BlueJacket – Astral (astraldesigns.com) 

It has ample but not over the top storage via one good sized rigidified front pouch and two smaller discreet side pockets at the waist.

My only adjustment - I'll strip it down considerably if I'm destination surfing and launching right off the beach/parking.

On the outside: Hydration Pack, Radio, Watch, Whistle, Small Shoulder Light

Front Pocket: Handheld compass, knife, reflective signal mirror, suntan lotion for face and lips. Aspirin for potential cardiac issues. 4x6 instant hull repair. Quik Clot sponge. WFAA SOAP note form, waterproof pen, wax pencil

Left side pocket: Electrical tape, 1/4" bungee cords (2) with snugging device (temp skeg repair), 2 sheets of 2'x2' clear plastic (missing hatch cover replacement) 

Right side pocket (each individually sealed):  mini-waterproof headlamp, mini-laser signaling device

Yikes! But the good news is this all fits very comfortably.  

Cheers!

Why I like paddling with David!

Well, one of the reasons anyway. 😁

Same PFD as David, pretty much what David carries plus Trilobite Eezycut rope cutter (instead of Rambo or Rambonette knife), energy cubes (for paddles under 4 hrs where I don’t carry food), 2 signal rockets, the smallest PLB and a completely flat XXL trash bag as emergency emergency shelter, fits nicely into the compartment under (meaning towards paddler’s back) the Kokatat hydration bladder compartment. I also carry a throw tow on my vest. In one of the side pockets I carry a long sling. All this is on the slightly heavy side and I therefore don’t carry the hydration bladder on my back any longer.

• 4 weeks later...

With the understanding that the majority of my adventures are typically 3hrs or less, in open/clear water:

Surfski PFD+kit:  Mocke Racer PFD

Front pocket: mobile phone in LifeProof case + in second waterproof case w/ lanyard, whistle that is probably useless, Hammer Gel packet that I rarely consume.

Back pocket: paddle leash/cord I've used maybe two times on downwinds when the wind was blowing 25+, allen wrench for rudder + emergency rudder wedge that I've never used.  Early season I sometimes stash a neoprene beanie in the back pocket on a bungee lanyard.

For longer (>1hr) paddles I'll normally take a hydration bladder, but that sits between my legs, not in the PFD.  Also I use a boat leash, but attached to my leg, not my PFD (tried PFD, went back to leg).

I will also carry a VHF radio that I mount high on the right shoulder strap when paddling with others, but only if they also carry a VHF -- it is very useful when those stars actually align. 

Matt

Edited by mattdrayer