Waterproof contact cement

Nancy Hill

Has anyone had any luck with a contact cement for attaching foam thigh pads under the deck/thigh braces of a carbon-kevlar kayak? The product I had the best luck with (Pliobond) is no longer made in its original formula which was very waterproof. The new version is now listed as water-repellent, low VOC. I've used Weldwood in the past with mixed results. I'd like to find something that will work well and last. I'm wondering if there is something out there that I've overlooked. TIA

I've been working a lot recently with Weldwood (you need the flammable version in the red can) to glue foam to Royalex canoe hulls, to itself, and to my fingers. The advice I've been following is to apply more than one thin coat to the foam, letting it dry completely between coats. Then one thin coat on the hull and one thin coat on the foam, let dry until tacky, and then press together. I've been using mineral spirits for surface prep on Royalex, but perhaps your hull can withstand something stronger.

5 minutes ago, Dan Foster said:

I've been working a lot recently with Weldwood (you need the flammable version in the red can) to glue foam to Royalex canoe hulls, to itself, and to my fingers

Thank you for the humorous response, Dan. I may give it a try again and will try not to glue my fingers to anything.

Second Dan's thoughts.  My experience, somewhat limited, is that by lightly coating both surfaces and when tacky position the foam works very well and is durable as in years of use.  I used the plain vanilla Weldwood contact cement.

Ed Lawson

One coat on non-porous and a second coat on porous surfaces. Rough up the surface with 80 grit paper because you are getting a mechanical bond. It should not transfer to your fingers when you touch it. Stinky is better.

• 4 months later...

I think you can still get the original Pliobond adhesive glue. Just make sure it doesn’t say “low voc” on the label. I agree that low voc stuff is useless (and smells even worse!)