2023 Walden Pond-area practice sessions and paddles

Dan Foster

There's been some talk about reviving a summer series of inland paddles and practice sessions in the Greater Walden Pond Metropolitan Area. In the past, we had weekly pond sessions at Walden on Wednesday nights. Given that a number of locals attend the Wednesday Lunch Paddles, it's been suggested that the Walden group meet any day OTHER than Wednesday. So much for alliteration...

One option would be to schedule the paddles on Thursday night, the same night as the Chebacco practice sessions, since there's unlikely to be a lot of overlap between paddlers who would attend both.

In the past, I've also tried to mix in some river paddles in addition to Walden, especially on hot days when Walden parking is likely to be full before we get there.

If you're in the Walden area and would be interested in a semi-regular get-together, chime in with your preferred times and days of the week, and what you might want to get out of such a gathering. For myself, I would be an occasional attendee, probably 2x/month, and I would probably spend a bit of time refreshing my roll and working with others on rescue practice. I'd also be likely to show up with a canoe or SUP, practice strokes, turns, and figure-eights, and I'd very much like to mix in some river paddling. Monday evenings probably work best for me, but I'm flexible. I'd also be OK with some morning sessions.

Who else is interested?

I'd be interested but the major problem is parking in the afternoon.   And it likely doesn't have to be very hot day for that to be the case.  I'd be delighted to do morning (as early as possible!) sessions, and would be a regular attendee in the morning.  Too many times folks arrived in afternoon to find they couldn't get in….  Thursday morning would be great.

Edited by prudenceb

The Walden Pond twitter feed makes it easier to predict when there might be parking or capacity issues. There hasn't been a weekday closure yet this year. (There, I jinxed it)

There are other local ponds that we could consider as well - Cochichuate in Framingham, Whitehall in Hopkinton (note that the Fruit St bridge is closed!), White's in Concord, Hart in Chelmsford... Plus the rivers.

Twitter feed will tell you if pond is open, but not if there's room to park at boat launch.  Seems that they've put in more handicapped parking spaces, decreasing available spots more.  Also, as for closing thus far this year, schools not closed yet and weather - as we know from challenges getting out on ocean - has not been terribly inviting.  I'd be very happy to be wrong going forwars.

But still, anyone up for mornings at Walden?!

Edited by prudenceb

At the last BOD meeting I suggested reactivating the Upper Mystic Lake practice sessions in West Medford (Goggle and zoom in on Mystic Lakes State Park, 481 Mystic Valley Pkwy, Medford, MA 02155). The sessions were well attended. We usually used the Upper Lake, taking advantage of the small, accessible public boat ramp (keep zooming) and the small beach to its right. There is a large parking lot at the put-in and overflow parking at the entrance from Mystic Valley Parkway, a two-minute walk. There are no fees. Never seen it crowded on weekdays. The only negative is that various parts of the Mystic should not be used for swimming after heavy rain storms in which there is overflow. However, this is a fairly rare circumstance.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I would be interested in a one-off special event Walden rolling/practice session, perhaps followed by dinner.

However, because MA has significantly raised the effective non-resident parking fees for attending regularly, I will get my rolling fixes elsewhere. 

For 2023 the Walden parking options are:

• Daily parking fees are waived for vehicles with a:
    • Handicapped license plate or placard
    • Purple Heart Recipient license plate
    • Disabled veteran license plate
  • MA Resident Senior Parking Pass (age 62 and over) $10
  • MA Resident 2023 Annual Parking Pass $60
  • MA Resident Day Pass Walden $8
  • Non-MA Resident Day Pass Walden $30

Source:  https://www.mass.gov/guides/parking-at-massachusetts-state-parks

I'm quite interested, and I'm happy to give Walden a try or Upper Mystic (love a free parking lot). Hart Pond in Chelmsford would be closest for me, so that's a plus. It has free parking, but the lot is used by people on the adjoining rail trail so it can get pretty full. Lake Cochituate is pretty far for me and, as a state park, I imagine it's expensive for non-MA people. 

I'm also happy to do early morning with Prudence, but if we want to make this a regular event we should plan for people who have jobs.