WANTED: Trip Organizers/Initiators

gyork

If you are one of the members of our club that is reluctant to post (organize) a day paddle or overnight trip, I would be happy to mentor you (and others?) in the ABCs of trip planning, via personal video conference(s). We can talk about many of the aspects of trip planning, including, but not limited to, navigation, weather/tides/currents, safety, group communication, liability waivers, parking, etc. If you would like support and guidance for organizing trip(s) let's chat. Please send me a private message, and we can go from there.

Let's all strive to start filling in the summer NSPN calendar with some day and overnite paddles. 

gary

IMGP0014.thumb.JPG.fa66025491288b46f418d0c2231daa2d.JPG

Edited by gyork
Miss Manners

Gary-san, I should be very happy to initiate evening paddles again; but I am limited inasmuch as I work most nights.  I am generally free on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays.  The water is warming up quite nicely now (it was very fresh and nice yesterday at Lanes Cove), although this next week's rain is going to suppress the intiail warming trend; but I shall post some trips very soon.

I realize that those evenings may very well be difficult for many; but I hope there will be takers.

Does anyone know if geenheads are given to nocturnal activity?  Mind you, I hardly saw but one or two last year.

Gary, thanks for this nudge and offer. For the record, some of us planning day trips don't use the calendar but post trips on the forum only. I have a trip next weekend to Bakers Island Light, am hoping to soon schedule one soon to the now open rescue station on Wood, and as in years past will be planning trips to Isles of Shoals and Ogunquit.

Note that our neighboring clubs Southern Maine Sea Kayaking Network and Rhode Island Canoe Kayak Association have plenty of events scheduled for their summers. I think we can manage that too, if the collective desire is there.

I have two concrete suggestions:

1. BoD, instead of discussing the lack of trips in board meetings, please schedule a monthly online trip-planning meeting for the entire club. This should be open to all, and dedicated to proposing and calendaring specific trips for the upcoming month. This works  very well for BASK (Bay Area Sea Kayakers) as a stimulus to get trips planned. Not every trip needs to be figured out months in advance like Grand Manan or Lobster Buoy. It doesn't matter if only 5 or 6 people attend tis meeting, as long as the sole purpose is to plan trips. Try it!

2. For visibility to people who are not following the forums, I think it's important that we all use the Calendar and not just the Trips forum.

For my part I will be posting Wednesday Lunch Paddles as in previous years but I will not be able to do it every week. This week I had planned to, but a dental procedure got in the way. I expect to do so next week and the week after, even if the weather is not great.

1 hour ago, Joseph Berkovitz said:

Note that our neighboring clubs Southern Maine Sea Kayaking Network and Rhode Island Canoe Kayak Association have plenty of events scheduled for their summers. I think we can manage that too, if the collective desire is there.

I have two concrete suggestions:

1. BoD, instead of discussing the lack of trips in board meetings, please schedule a monthly online trip-planning meeting for the entire club. This should be open to all, and dedicated to proposing and calendaring specific trips for the upcoming month. This works  very well for BASK (Bay Area Sea Kayakers) as a stimulus to get trips planned. Not every trip needs to be figured out months in advance like Grand Manan or Lobster Buoy. It doesn't matter if only 5 or 6 people attend tis meeting, as long as the sole purpose is to plan trips. Try it!

2. For visibility to people who are not following the forums, I think it's important that we all use the Calendar and not just the Trips forum.

For my part I will be posting Wednesday Lunch Paddles as in previous years but I will not be able to do it every week. This week I had planned to, but a dental procedure got in the way. I expect to do so next week and the week after, even if the weather is not great.

I know that there will be weeks that Joe is not available for WLP.  As I have in previous years, I will be happy to fill in and organize/post.  Unfortunately not this week as I will be away.  Joe, if you know in advance when you know you'll be away on a Wednesday, let me know so I'll know to be taking over posting.

I will also plan - as I have in the past - to post various weekend paddles, and some weekday, at my favorite venues - Lanes, Odiorne, Granite Pier etc.

Prudence

A shout out to the many in the core group of Organizers/Initiators! Thank you for contributing to the success of our Club, and recognize my original post (now edited) does not diminish your efforts/success of posting trips. My intent is to entice more of our Members, including the seasoned ones, to post more paddling opportunities. It's understood that many of the posted trips are, by necessity (weather), short notice, but any effort to double post to "events" and "calendar" might reach an audience that doesn't receive notifications of  "events."  

I'll take Joe's #1 to the next BOD meeting.

g

Others may disagree but I think shorter notice trips taking advantage of good conditions don't really belong on the calendar. There is a post pinned to the trips forum describing how to get notifications. People looking for trip opportunities should follow there. 

Not sure there are strong reasons to favor calendar over notices on the trips forum or vice versa.  Certainly there are advantages and disadvantages for using either.  Planning trips more than a  week in advance is always a crapshoot.  A few days ago it was @ 90 and a nice day paddling from Odiorne appealed.  Instead of a nice warm day paddling today as expected, I am writing this in front of woodstove as it is still in the 40s outside.  OTOH, I have enough going on that it is often hard to respond to 48 hour notices.  Seems each have their place and balance for paddles so far OK  If I understand the reason for the thread, it is not people having difficulty finding  NSPN paddles, but the paucity of paddles to find.

One good reason for trips to be announced well in advance and on calendar might be a higher probability of getting a broader range and larger number of members participating as opposed to the usual suspect who appear to dominate the paddles announced on short notice.

Ed Lawson

• 2 months later...