Day trips recommendations in Downeast

DM2787

Hi We're two New York City based paddlers who are in the Gouldsboro and Dryer Bay areas for a week and were hoping for some recommendations of favorite day trips. We were also hoping to explore the Acadia and Bar Harbor area too (and are happy to drive an hour or so for a good paddle in other areas as well). We are used to paddling in tidal conditions on the Hudson but would appreciate any other recommendations as well. Thanks in advance! 

I would make the ?<1h, before first light, drive to Jonesport, to either circumnav Great Waas I (with option to hike preserve trail, accessible on E shore), or explore nearby Head Harbor, Steele Harbor, and Mistake Islands, with a visit to the lighthouse on the latter.

Here is a link from our website that might help you locate launch sites in this area and others. 

Depending on the timing of your visit, be prepared to deal with fog, with GPS (and backup) and VHF.

If you have further questions, you can E me @ glyorkATprotondotme

The paddle from Seal Harbor on MDI (plenty of free parking, clean bathrooms and outdoor shower!) out to the Cranberries is one of my faves.  The coast of Sutton Island on the way out has some really interesting rock features.  
Also, if you're in Gouldsboro, paddling out to Ironbound (beautiful reddish cliffs) and the Porcupines is an easy reach.

My suggestion is contact Pinniped Kayak http://www.pinnipedkayak.com/ to see if you could arrange a day trip or two to get a feel of the area and some local knowledge if you have not paddled this part of coast before.  You are in a wonderful area for paddling  and hope you enjoy your time there.

As you doubtless know, on a good day anybody can go anywhere.  On a bad day best to stay ashore.  Unfortunately, it can be a good day and a bad day on the same day on the same stretch of water; especially in this area.  So giving specific trip suggestions has to assume a great deal.

For various reasons there are often good conditions for paddling someplace around MDI and there is a nice guide specific to MDI. https://www.amazon.com/Kayakers-Guide-Mount-Desert-Island/dp/0892723807

Stonington archipelago usually provides good paddling as the water is rather protected.

Above MDI the need for good seamanship becomes more important.   I once heard a fisherman on Beal Island give sage advice.  "If you don't know when to go home, you won't." 

Near Dryer Bay, the area Northeast of Bois Bubert has some nice islands to visit and going out to the Petit Manan light to see the puffins can be a real treat.

Area from Jonesport to Lubec provides absolutely stunning paddling, but it is also absolutely no place to casually go paddling the further North you go. I believe it is fair to say many have found paddling in this area transformational and you should sample it if at all possible.

You may find these guides helpful for specific trips and planning:

https://amcstore.outdoors.org/collections/books-maps/products/amc-best-sea-kayaking-ne

https://www.amazon.com/Kayaking-Maine-Coast-Paddlers-Cobscook-dp-0881507059/dp/0881507059/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

Ed Lawson

@DM2787 Others have already provided terrific detail here. I just want to second Ed’s sage advice that if you haven’t paddled this area before, there are challenges that may not be familiar if your home base is the Hudson. As Ed said, conditions can change abruptly in a short distance or a short time, from calm and placid to extremely rough. So the option of contacting Nate Hanson (who is Pinniped) to arrange a day trip sounds like a good one; he’s a superb paddler, guide, instructor and human being all rolled into one. 

Millbridge public boat launch  is close to Dyer Bay: launch there,  paddle out the Narragaugus River into Narragaugus Bay and explore the wonderful islands of the area:  Shipstern, Jordan's Delight, Bois Bubert, Pond islands.  Paddle out on the ebb, return on the flood.  Mind the tides, currents, shallows, ledges, mudflats; they're all more pronounced and more splendid and  ... well, just more there  :  the water moves up there  , and not a good place to paddle against the current or be surprised by anything.