Werner Paddle Ferule Issue

I have a carbon fibre Werner paddle that I've used for many years. This season I have to apply a lot of pressue on the paddle shafts in order for the two parts to seat together properly.

I have insepcted the ferule and don't see any glaring issues. Can someone look at the photos and tell me if something is broken or not right? I have a bad feelig that a small piece might be broken off on the spring piece but  I'm not sure.

Thanks.

https://robertwallace.ca/Werner01.jpg

https://robertwallace.ca/Werner02.jpg

https://robertwallace.ca/Werner03.jpg

Looks ok from the pictures.  Wash it well with hot water while wiggling the release button, and don't use any kind of lubricant.  If that doesn't help, Werner customer service is quite helpful.  Give them a call.

I was having trouble with my Werner ferrule.  Sent it in and they replaced it (on my dime ?)  with newer design that has fewer problems.  They also recommended soaking both ends of paddle in warm water with some Dawn dishwashing liquid after each salt water use.  I've been doing this and no problems.  Plus new ferrule works better.

If I have to do that after every paddle it's a bad design. I've stopped doing anything to mine and it's actually working better. I think when it gets bad it's more because of fine sand than salt. If it gets bad again I might just drill it out and put a pin in. 

I agree with Jim that it's bad design that requires taking such care.  Which I told the folks at Werner.  “Almost everyone I paddle with loves the Cyprus, hates the ferrule"…or words to that effect.  That's when she said there's a new design and made the Dawn soaking recommendation.  I took the advice.  While I'm happy for others who have had no problem with just drying the ferrule off with a towel or otherwise ignoring it, that hasn't been my experience.  Happy to do a quick soak if it saves me what it cost to mail the paddle to Werner and get it fixed.  Each to his/her own…but don't conclude from your N of 1 that that's the solution for everyone.  Just sayin'…

Prudence

On 6/6/2022 at 6:56 PM, Jim Snyder said:

I think when it gets bad it's more because of fine sand than salt.

Probably. Wiggle the button while you flush it. Gets the sand out. This will avoid the “button won’t pop up” problem. 

Salt could make the two halves stick together. If it gets stuck, put the paddle behind your knees and use your legs to help push your hands apart to pull the paddle apart. 

We have Werner Kalliste paddles and a Wind Swift.  Gradually all get tighter fitting, both assembling and disassembling.  We paddle in brackish water.  I could not see or feel anything. 

Last summer I starting making a practice of putting the ferrules in a 5 gallon bucket with tap water after our trips.  I leave them in there for an hour or so, sometimes I forget and they stay in all night.  Then I take them out and put them away, doing nothing else to them.  This seems to have solved the tightness problem.  They now assemble and disassemble like new again.  This suggests to me that it was a build up of salt.